Three Bears rookies almost certain to start opener

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 27, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Trestman stops short of confirmation, but Bostic, Long, Mills looking good

By Brad Biggs, Chicago Tribune reporter

9:35 p.m. CDT, August 26, 2013

Coach Marc Trestman wasn't ready to apply the starter tag to three rookies, but there is almost no doubt the Bears will have that many in the lineup Sept. 8 against the Bengals.

Middle linebacker Jon Bostic, the second-round pick, will start at least the first one or two games until D.J. Williams is game ready. Williams is sidelined with a right calf injury but did some running and stretching before practice Monday. Bostic might claim the job outright.

"I am not going to use that term 'starting middle linebacker,' " Trestman said. "He has started in the last couple games, and he has continued to grow and get better and shown that he can be a very good player. He is fitting in, and if he happens to be that guy on Game 1 or Game 2 or whatever it is, I think he can grow into the position and be a more than sufficient middle linebacker."

On offense, first-round pick Kyle Long and fifth-round pick Jordan Mills have shown they're prepared for a starting opportunity on the right side of the line.

Trestman intends to rest most of the starters in the exhibition finale Thursday against the Browns at Soldier Field. One of the remaining questions is if he will expose Long and Mills to get them more reps.

"I am not going to hide from the fact that they did very well last week and have continued to improve," Trestman said. "I'm just not ready to go the distance on exactly what we are going to do. I can stand up here confidently and say they played well."

Trestman is certain Jordan Palmer will start at quarterback Thursday with Jay Cutler and Josh McCown getting the game off. Trent Edwards likely will relieve Palmer at some point.

Public defender: Trestman rallied around tight end Fendi Onobun, who dropped a potential touchdown in the exhibition opener, had two more passes go off his hands against the Raiders and also was called for holding. The Bears have been committed to making it work for the superbly athletic, 6-foot-6, 260-pound Onobun, who has been with five other teams since the Rams drafted him in the sixth round in 2010.

"Fendi has had a very good camp and has been uncharacteristically inconsistent in the games," Trestman said. "You've seen things in practice that we haven't seen in the games. Does that mean we've lost confidence? No. We've got to continue to have him work through it.

"This is really his first year of football, and he's shown the ability to do it. He's just got to work through this phase when he gets under the lights that he can continue to play as consistently, and I think he can do that down the road."

That sounds like a man intent on sticking with the converted basketball player.

"It's the next stage in his development," Trestman said. "We're all pulling for him both in the locker room and on the field that he will continue to progress and get through this little batting slump that he has been during the games that we really haven't seen during practice."

A bigger issue, perhaps? The drops will make it difficult for quarterback Jay Cutler to have confidence in Onobun, and if he lacks that, it will be difficult for him to look in the tight end's direction no matter how open he might be.

Extra points: The Bears got good news on cornerback Zack Bowman, describing him as day to day with a right hamstring injury. Linebacker J.T. Thomas missed practice with hamstring tightness. Offensive tackle Jonathan Scott (right knee) and defensive tackle Corvey Irvin (left ankle) remained out. Long snapper Pat Mannelly (rib), fullback Harvey Unga (rib) and defensive end Cheta Ozougwu (hamstring) practiced. … The Bears need to make one roster move to reach the 75-man limit by 3 p.m. Tuesday. … The Browns are expected to play most of their starters for a short period Thursday. … Vikings Pro Bowl fullback Jerome Felton, the blocker for Adrian Peterson, has been suspended for three games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, so he will miss the Week 2 meeting at Soldier Field.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...7-bits-bears-chicago-20130827,0,3290438.story
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,457 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    758ß
    And imagine that...a coach using Preseason the way it was intended to: to get some snaps for your rookie picks, and to make tough decisions on who is going to start the season at what position. Shocking.
  3. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +617 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    212ß
    It's like we're a real football team. With real leadership. I don't think that's happened since, well, sad to say, 1983?
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    This ^^^^

If he drops many more passes then he will be dead to Cutler, no matter how open he is.
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    The overpriced Bennett at TE is becoming an issue.

Cant he be coached up ?

BTW ... since we always need problems to bitch about ...

do we have any more ?

Looks like a pretty clean team after Bennett.

Any complaints about other players ?
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    I figure Bennett has proven he can play. I'm really not too worried about him.