Three Post 1st Round Safeties....................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 18, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,664 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,119ß
    Jimmie Ward – Safety – Northern Illinois

Size – 5106 – 197 – 4.49
    Strong Points – Productive, instincts, run support and tackle, can play man on a slot, zone, ball reactions and hands, range
    Weak Points – Has a foot injury that requires surgery and will prevent him from doing any private workouts, lacks ideal size for the position, doesn’t play to timed speed
    2013 Stats: 95 total tackles, seven interceptions, one sack

Summation - Ward is a fourth-year senior and a three-year starter for the Huskies. As a freshman in 2010, he played in every game and was an outstanding special teams' performer with three blocked kicks. He became a fulltime starter at safety in 2011

In 2012 tape, he played closer to the line of scrimmage, in short, he was more of a box safety. He still played deep at times and was put in man coverage situations on an inside receiver. In 2013, while he still played up tight at times, it wasn’t as often. He was still used to cover inside receivers.

Ward has good athleticism. He is quick with good change of direction, a good turn, and good overall body control. He timed 4.49 at his pro day, but I don’t see that speed on the field. He played more like a 4.55 type.

Ward is a quick reactor with good instincts. He shows good anticipation and is around the ball. He is effective as a run support player, showing the ability to take on and shed blocks and is a consistent tackler. He is used to blitz at times and does a good job coming off the edge. When in man coverage, he shows the turn and mirror skills needed. He has a good jam and does well versus shorter routes. He doesn’t have the long speed to consistently cover deep, but has good ball reactions and closes well to make plays.

In zone, he shows good awareness. He has the anticipation and range to get to the sideline from the hash. For the most part, he keeps plays in front of him and does not get beaten deep. I did see him blow a coverage in their Bowl game versus Utah State. He was beaten deep but was able to recover and get the PBU.

Overall, Ward has the instincts and skills to be an eventual starting strong safety in the NFL. He lacks ideal size, and the fact that he needs foot surgery will hurt his draft value. I see him as a solid third round type, with the injury potentially dropping him to the fourth.

Grade B 6.6

Ed Reynolds – Safety – Stanford

Size –
    6010 – 207 – 4.57
    Strong Points – Size, anticipation, instincts, zone coverage, hands, run support
    Weak Points – Production fell off in 2013, play speed, man cover, just adequate range
    2013 Stats – 87 total tackles, one interception, four passes broken up

Summation – Reynolds is a fourth-year junior and a two-year starter. He redshirted in 2010 and missed the entire 2011 season with an ACL injury. He came back to start in 2012 and 2013 and had six interceptions in 2012. His dad played in the NFL for both the Patriots and Giants.

Reynolds has ideal safety size at 6010 – 207, but he is just an average athlete with average play speed. He timed 4.57 at the combine but plays like a 4.60+ type. He is an average athlete, has good body control and change of direction, but lacks any quick twitch to his movement. He is not explosive, as evidenced by his jumps (32.5, 9’9”).
    He plays free safety and has good instincts and anticipation. He reads things well and does a good job keeping plays in front of him. He does an adequate job getting to the sideline from the hash in zone because of his ability to read plays. He has good ball skills to go along with good hands. His interception production really fell off in 2013, getting only one after having six in 2012.

He isn't asked to play much man coverage, as he lacks the quick twitch and suddenness needed. He is best if matched up versus a back or tight end, as he can struggle with a fast receiver. He is willing in run support, reacting quickly and is a consistent tackler.

Reynolds is the prototypical over-achiever. He is not a special athlete but he is a good football player. He gets by on his instincts and toughness and has the ability to be an eventual starter in the right situation. He should probably have stayed in school another year.

Grade – B 6.5

Deone Bucannon – Safety – Washington State

Size
    – 6010 – 211 – 4.49
    Strong Points – Very good size, interception production, run support, can try to be physical, zone coverage, plays on special teams' coverage units
    Weak Points – Misses a lot of tackles (seven in first three games viewed), doesn't consistently take good angles, has some tightness in his hips, not playing to timed speed
    2013 Stats – 114 total tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, six interceptions for 110 return yards

Summation – Bucannon has been a starter since midway through his freshman year at Washington State. He has excellent size at 6010 – 207 to go along with very good timed speed (4.49 at combine). While he tests out very well, he doesn’t play that way. He looks more like a 4.55 guy on tape and has some tightness in his hips that hurts his ability to turn quickly in man coverage.

Bucannon has good, not great instincts. He will misdiagnose some things, and at times, can be a little late to read. Still, he is often around the ball and makes plays.

He is usually a good run support player who will come up and try and make plays in the box. He can get out of control and is not a top tackler. While he makes a lot of tackles, he also misses a lot. He doesn’t wrap up and often lowers his head and loses sight of his target.

When in coverage, he is best in zone. He gets depth and usually does a good job keeping plays in front of him. He has range and awareness. I saw a couple of interceptions where a teammate was beaten, yet he got over to make the play. He has good hands and can adjust to the ball.

He is inconsistent in man. He doesn’t have the hips or suddenness needed to mirror with any consistency. He is best versus shorter routes. He can struggle with a speedy, athletic receiver, and his transition is just average.
    Bucannon is an interesting guy. He makes plays and is aggressive but he also gives up or misses too many plays. He has to settle down and concentrate more. I see him as a strong safety at the next level with a solid chance to be an eventual starter. He should go somewhere in the third or fourth round.

Grade B 6.5

2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,664 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,119ß
    Here are three SS or FS rated to go in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Their scouting reports are none to impressive and seem to fit that type of players with flaws the Bears have been drafting as Safeties for many years. Of the three Jimmie Ward seems to have the kind of athleticism and basic skills Emery looks for but some impending surgery may be of concern. Ordinarily he might be a high to mid second round pick but the surgery may drop him back a round or two. In rounds three or four he'd be a steal.
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,664 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,119ß
    Interesting. No one has any comments on any of these guys. If we draft a DT in one I'd be almost certain one of these guys will be drafted as a Safety. I know they've spoken with both Ward and Bucannon.
  4. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Mark Carrier doing anything?
  5. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I really think we need to draft either Clinton-Dix or Pryor with the #14 pick.

Here's why--Safety is not nearly as deep as Defensive Line or Cornerback in this year's draft. The dropoff is steep after Clinton-Dix and Pryor whereas you can get good quality defensive linemen and cornerbacks in the 2nd round and later.

Also, take a closer look at the 1st round defensive linemen that may be available at #14. Aaron Donald is just way too undersized. He's tiny which doesn't translate well to the NFL. He would get manhandled by NFL offensive linemen. Hageman and Ealy are projects and Jernigan doesn't impress me either.

This is why we need to go Safety at #14 and draft a DT like Kelcy Quarles in the 2nd round. We need a good ball-hawking Safety to help offset the passing attacks that the Lions and Packers have.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    I watched quite a bit of ward and liked what I saw for the most part. Can't remember exactly what the nature of his foot injury was though.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,664 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,119ß
    Maybe we can hire him as a player coach. At 45 he's getting a little long in the tooth though. LOL

Mark Carrier
    Football player
    Mark Anthony Carrier, III is a retired American football safety who played in the National Football League. He is the current defensive backs coach for the Cincinnati Bengals.wikipedia.org
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,654 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    557ß
    This. Also I keep hearing that it's possible that Houston is going to play more DT then he is DE, so that would put a guy like Donald, at 14, in a 4 man rotation, and the team still needs DE help. But a guy like Pryor or Dix are going to be day 1 starters and not likely to come off the field very often.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,664 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,119ß
    I don't know that the drop off is quite as bad as all that. These guys all lack the skills of an elite Safety and with the #14 pick I'd like to get an elite player. As an inside pass rusher Donald appears to be all that and a big of chips and he's not very "tiny" either. He goes 285-288lbs and Quarles goes 293-298 lbs so it's all of a 5-10lbs difference and that won't make any difference at 3 tech. I wouldn't be unhappy with Quarles but I'd probably be happier with Donald. For a 3 tech DT in the Bears 4-3 scheme he's the better fit.
  10. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He did have one heck of a rookie year with us!
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    1st highlight:
    That's not necessary an accurate comparison. First off, neither Pryor or Ha-Ha are elite or flawless prospects. Neither of them are Eric Berry. Last I looked they were rated as low-mid 7s. Sorry, that's hardly "can't pass up territory". And 2nd round options like Buchannon and Ward do exist.

2nd highlight:
    AD measured 6'1", 287 at the Combine. That's hardly "tiny". He's basically the same size as Geno Atkins was coming out of college and what Henry Melton was in making the transition to 3-tech. His tape and performances depict anything but a guy who's too small to be effective, especially in the role he's slated for as a quick penetrator. And then you list several other top DL prospects you also don't like...only a few sentences after telling us we should draft Safety in the 1st because the DL is "deeper".

:3_8_14[1]:
  12. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I listed the other DTs that I didn't which like are projected in the 1st round. To me, none of them are worthy of the #14 pick and the point that I was trying to make is that I think the Bears would be better served getting a DT in the 2nd round.

Either way, I trust Emery and the Bears. If they decide to draft Donald or any of the other DTs at 14 I'll be more than fine with it.

With that said, my personal preference is for them to draft a CB or S at #14.
  13. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +667 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    I've been all about the D-Line, because I believe in the importance of the D-Line as the cornerstone of building a good Defense. With that said, I will still be happy if we take someone at 14 like Aaron Donald because I think that will make the Line damn near unstoppable. HOWEVER, QB's that get the ball out quick can overcome even the best D-Lines, so obviously you have to have other talent as well. Frankly, I'm tired of watching all of the mid-late round picks try to make things work at the Safety spot. I remember watching guys like Plank, Fencik, Carrier, and Brown; and I remember the difference they made. So, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that given the FA moves we've made to shore up the D-Line, I would probably go with Clinton-Dix at 14 if he's there. If he's not, I really like Mosely, so I would go with him, and then Pryer if Mosely isn't there also. I would not be upset with a CB either, but I think the CB draft is much deeper and we can get a good starting quality CB as late as the 3rd this year.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    Ward would be a predictable JA homer pick due to the proximity of college. I worry about Ward's size but I wouldn't discount him for it because his tape says he jumps out of the stadium if need be. Buccannon is my preference of the two. Good run support guy to go along with size would be a good transition to a SS where I personally think a rookie will play. With Conte or Mundy, I like Buccannon's ability to come really lay the smackdown on a HB and put the wood on WRs coming over the middle.(yes this is still something that can be done, within reason of course.)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,664 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,119ß
    I really don't think Dix will last that long so it would probably be Pryor and he's got the kind versatility they like in a player as far as playing both FS and SS but then so does Jimmie Ward plus an ability to play man up in a NB spot. The other thing I'm concerned with is that Quarles won't last until 51st pick and here's my reasoning. There are only two pure 3 tech DT at the top of this draft, Donald and Quarles. If we don't take Donald there where we're in front of 4-3 teams who need a DT then they get a shot at Quarles in round two before we pick at #51. Donald won't last much past our pick in one.

Ward has had foot surgery but that will be healed before camp. He's rated a little ahead of these other guys but his size and that surgery may drop him down because I don't believe he was ready for his Pro Day workouts. He's smaller but he's still a tough little SOB with good ball skills and he can tackle. When you come right down to it you always build from the line out and we lack a 3 tech. We're probably 90% certain Donald will be there and only 50% Quarles will be. With Ward I'd give it and 80% chance he'll fall that far because after the SB teams are looking at bigger Safeties.

The bottom line is that I don't think Pryor is a bad pick just not the best pick. The way we combat passing games is to get pressure on the QB from the front four and a DT who can rush like Donald can will have more impact than a Safety.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,664 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,119ß
    Mike Brown was a very unique guy whose intuitive skills got him around the ball often. He was pretty uncanny that way. Carrier never repeated that rookie year but I'll admit that he was worth the 1st round pick that got him. But we also still had a good line back then. All of the '80s guys were either low or mid round picks and Fencik was a converted WR we picked up on waivers. Those guys were helped a great deal by those '80s DLines and LB who seldom allowed any QB enough time to throw downfield. When SF was beating us it was with a WCO with short quick passes. Those are hard to defense by anyone which is one reason why our defense did well last year.

Personally I would still build the line and if not Donald then I'd probably opt for Mosley because we still don't have a true MLB to back DWill. What continues to bother me is the lack of trust many have that either Conte won't improve or we won't find help in either the draft or another vet whose released after the draft. I don't know how this team could pass up an inside pass rusher that's virtually built to play this defense for a Safety whose not rated any better at his position than the DT. Pryor is not an Eric Berry, or an Ed Reed, or a Ronnie Lott level guy. He's good but not special.
  17. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Kelcy Quarles may or may not be there at #51 but if not, someone else will be available at DT in that spot.

I really like Adam Hoge's latest mock draft. He has us going with CB Justin Gilbert at #14 and then taking Penn State DT DaQuan Jones at #51. Jones is a big kid who can play multiple positions along the line including 3-tech:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/04/01/hoge-2014-bears-mock-draft-3-0/

Either way, our Secondary is much thinner than our Defensive Line right now. If we want an impact player who can possibly start right away at CB or S (which we need) then we're going to have to get that player in the first round. After loading up in free agency, defensive line is a position we can fill in the later rounds.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +667 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    Like it? Like it? Hell, I freakin LOVE this mock. If the Bears could land this draft I would be tickled crapless.
    Justin Gilbert
    DaQuan Jones
    Jimmie Ward
    Jared Abbrederis
    Christian Jones
    Storm Johnson
    Bryan Stork

Yea baby, I would be happy, Happy, Happy.
  19. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +589 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    I am liking Mosley in RD 1. Butkus, Singletary, and Urlacher just spoiled us with ILB and have just shown over time how critical a great ILB is. I am about to write S off til next yr maybe Dixon in rd 4 but not sure what they would add to the team. My thoughts

ILB - Mosley
    DT - Quarles
    TE - Nicklas
    DT - Sutton
    CB/ QB/ OT best avail to round it out> Dont need these guys till next yr hopefully.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    The NFL changed the rules after we signed Mark Carrier. Look it up.