Three Post 1st Round Safeties....................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 18, 2014.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,405ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    1st highlight:
    That's not necessary an accurate comparison. First off, neither Pryor or Ha-Ha are elite or flawless prospects. Neither of them are Eric Berry. Last I looked they were rated as low-mid 7s. Sorry, that's hardly "can't pass up territory". And 2nd round options like Buchannon and Ward do exist.

2nd highlight:
    AD measured 6'1", 287 at the Combine. That's hardly "tiny". He's basically the same size as Geno Atkins was coming out of college and what Henry Melton was in making the transition to 3-tech. His tape and performances depict anything but a guy who's too small to be effective, especially in the role he's slated for as a quick penetrator. And then you list several other top DL prospects you also don't like...only a few sentences after telling us we should draft Safety in the 1st because the DL is "deeper".

:3_8_14[1]:

2. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    176ß
    I listed the other DTs that I didn't which like are projected in the 1st round. To me, none of them are worthy of the #14 pick and the point that I was trying to make is that I think the Bears would be better served getting a DT in the 2nd round.

Either way, I trust Emery and the Bears. If they decide to draft Donald or any of the other DTs at 14 I'll be more than fine with it.

With that said, my personal preference is for them to draft a CB or S at #14.

3. 4dabers

4dabers
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    I've been all about the D-Line, because I believe in the importance of the D-Line as the cornerstone of building a good Defense. With that said, I will still be happy if we take someone at 14 like Aaron Donald because I think that will make the Line damn near unstoppable. HOWEVER, QB's that get the ball out quick can overcome even the best D-Lines, so obviously you have to have other talent as well. Frankly, I'm tired of watching all of the mid-late round picks try to make things work at the Safety spot. I remember watching guys like Plank, Fencik, Carrier, and Brown; and I remember the difference they made. So, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that given the FA moves we've made to shore up the D-Line, I would probably go with Clinton-Dix at 14 if he's there. If he's not, I really like Mosely, so I would go with him, and then Pryer if Mosely isn't there also. I would not be upset with a CB either, but I think the CB draft is much deeper and we can get a good starting quality CB as late as the 3rd this year.

#13 4dabers, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    518ß
    Ward would be a predictable JA homer pick due to the proximity of college. I worry about Ward's size but I wouldn't discount him for it because his tape says he jumps out of the stadium if need be. Buccannon is my preference of the two. Good run support guy to go along with size would be a good transition to a SS where I personally think a rookie will play. With Conte or Mundy, I like Buccannon's ability to come really lay the smackdown on a HB and put the wood on WRs coming over the middle.(yes this is still something that can be done, within reason of course.)

• Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    I really don't think Dix will last that long so it would probably be Pryor and he's got the kind versatility they like in a player as far as playing both FS and SS but then so does Jimmie Ward plus an ability to play man up in a NB spot. The other thing I'm concerned with is that Quarles won't last until 51st pick and here's my reasoning. There are only two pure 3 tech DT at the top of this draft, Donald and Quarles. If we don't take Donald there where we're in front of 4-3 teams who need a DT then they get a shot at Quarles in round two before we pick at #51. Donald won't last much past our pick in one.

Ward has had foot surgery but that will be healed before camp. He's rated a little ahead of these other guys but his size and that surgery may drop him down because I don't believe he was ready for his Pro Day workouts. He's smaller but he's still a tough little SOB with good ball skills and he can tackle. When you come right down to it you always build from the line out and we lack a 3 tech. We're probably 90% certain Donald will be there and only 50% Quarles will be. With Ward I'd give it and 80% chance he'll fall that far because after the SB teams are looking at bigger Safeties.

The bottom line is that I don't think Pryor is a bad pick just not the best pick. The way we combat passing games is to get pressure on the QB from the front four and a DT who can rush like Donald can will have more impact than a Safety.

6. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    Mike Brown was a very unique guy whose intuitive skills got him around the ball often. He was pretty uncanny that way. Carrier never repeated that rookie year but I'll admit that he was worth the 1st round pick that got him. But we also still had a good line back then. All of the '80s guys were either low or mid round picks and Fencik was a converted WR we picked up on waivers. Those guys were helped a great deal by those '80s DLines and LB who seldom allowed any QB enough time to throw downfield. When SF was beating us it was with a WCO with short quick passes. Those are hard to defense by anyone which is one reason why our defense did well last year.

Personally I would still build the line and if not Donald then I'd probably opt for Mosley because we still don't have a true MLB to back DWill. What continues to bother me is the lack of trust many have that either Conte won't improve or we won't find help in either the draft or another vet whose released after the draft. I don't know how this team could pass up an inside pass rusher that's virtually built to play this defense for a Safety whose not rated any better at his position than the DT. Pryor is not an Eric Berry, or an Ed Reed, or a Ronnie Lott level guy. He's good but not special.

7. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    176ß
    Kelcy Quarles may or may not be there at #51 but if not, someone else will be available at DT in that spot.

I really like Adam Hoge's latest mock draft. He has us going with CB Justin Gilbert at #14 and then taking Penn State DT DaQuan Jones at #51. Jones is a big kid who can play multiple positions along the line including 3-tech:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/04/01/hoge-2014-bears-mock-draft-3-0/

Either way, our Secondary is much thinner than our Defensive Line right now. If we want an impact player who can possibly start right away at CB or S (which we need) then we're going to have to get that player in the first round. After loading up in free agency, defensive line is a position we can fill in the later rounds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 4dabers

4dabers
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Like it? Like it? Hell, I freakin LOVE this mock. If the Bears could land this draft I would be tickled crapless.
    Justin Gilbert
    DaQuan Jones
    Jimmie Ward
    Jared Abbrederis
    Christian Jones
    Storm Johnson
    Bryan Stork

Yea baby, I would be happy, Happy, Happy.

9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,305ß
    I am liking Mosley in RD 1. Butkus, Singletary, and Urlacher just spoiled us with ILB and have just shown over time how critical a great ILB is. I am about to write S off til next yr maybe Dixon in rd 4 but not sure what they would add to the team. My thoughts

ILB - Mosley
    DT - Quarles
    TE - Nicklas
    DT - Sutton
    CB/ QB/ OT best avail to round it out> Dont need these guys till next yr hopefully.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    933ß
    The NFL changed the rules after we signed Mark Carrier. Look it up.