Three Post 1st Round Safeties....................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 18, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Thanks brother. Another thing I did was go back and look at the really good Bears defenses in the past even back into the '60s and we always had a great agile penetrating DT. Stan Jones was it back in the 60's and he was an All Pro at DT and OG. Then in the '70s we had Wally Chambers whose career went downhill following his knee injury but in his first 3 or 4 years he was a monster DT in the mold of Alan Page. Then we had Jim Osborne, small but very quick and able to shoot gaps and make plays behind the line,and then Alan Page himself. Sadly the offenses weren't very good then but the defenses kept us in the hunt most years.

In the '80s it was Hampton. Very quick out of the blocks for such a big tall player. He moved to LDE when Fridge came along to save his knees and then it was McMichael who took over that under tackle spot and is one of the top DTs ever in sacks. He had way more than Hampton. Donald reminds me of McMichael albeit probably not anywhere near as crazy. But his energy level and playing style are similar.

Then in the '90s and even until Lovie came along we got away from that type of player. Washington and Traylor were wide bodies hired to protect Urlacher so HE could do the damage but neither Wanny's or Jauron's defense ever equaled our best. When Lovie came along he went back to using that quick penetrating DT again with Tommie Harris and the kid was almost unblockable 'til he got hurt. He helped us get to a SB but he was never the same player again and then the line play fell off again until Melton emerged and began to play like Harris.

In addition to everything else I've posted these are other reasons why I feel we need that type of DT and that Donald is the best one out there and maybe the best we've seen for a good while. But even if it's not Donald then we still need to find a guy who can play like that somewhere in this draft and we need him now. Melton came in the 4th but it took him two years to become a starting DT. I don't want to wait that long. I want a guy who can come in and do it now. I think we are only a few players away from being able to match up with the best and a great DT is at the top of that list.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,663 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    919ß
    That is why I think a penetrating Tackle (why does my mind wander to Little Bear and his avatar whenever I type that...?) would be our best bet. Lots of good arguments to be made with a deeper tackle pool (there I go again...) than the available CB's so we should pick a CB. Regardless, at this point I have enough faith in Emery that I'll be happy with whateve he does.

We need both, so what the hell...
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    In the end he's the only one who can decide which position takes precedence over the others. I just love attacking defenses though and Seattle proved again this year that it's the way you can beat the best offense and arguably on of the top 3 QBs in the NFL. And that's how you beat Aaron Rodgers too.

It's your DL that does the attacking along with the LBs at times. The DBs are all defenders. Give me a great line and some good tackling LBs who can play sideline to sideline and my DBs have much less to defend. I don't recall one great defensive backfield on a Bears team who didn't play behind a great line and linebackers. That's just the way it works.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +744 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    Because you are just like the rest of us! If you're a perv, then we all are! Hey, lets face it, the greater the depth of penetration, the better off we're all gonna be...well...as long as we're the penetrators and not the penetratees. I wanna get the penetration up front, but I don't want our Backs to get penetrated by wide receivers or Tight Ends. That would be bad.:packsheep2:
    • Like Like x 2
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well I think it's safe to say both parties can benefit from the depth of penetration. Hmmmm, maybe we should sign Ron Jeremy.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,259 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    301ß
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Here's his Combine numbers, draft profile, and scouting report. The main problem I have with some of these guys projected to go in the mid round is that they seem to be better prospects for SS than FS which is why I keep coming back to Jimmie Ward who I think can play FS and NB. I also think he's a solid late 2nd round pick or higher whereas I see some of the others like Bucannon and Bailey sliding back in some cases.

The other issues I have is what I highlighted. If those are true can they be coached out of him or do we just end up with another Conte on our hands? These are all things the Conte "haters" bring up about him and why he should be replaced. At times I'm beginning to think we should take one of the bigger CBs and try him at FS although the last time we did that it failed and it's half way to a failure with Conte.

SS
    Deone Bucannon
    Washington St. Pac-12
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

View Prospects By Name By Position By College By Grade
    Combine Results
    Grade
    5.32?
    • 4.49 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 19 REPS
      Top Performer
    • 36.5 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 125.0 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 6.96 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 4.26 SEC
      Top Performer
    Blue Star = Combine Top Performer
    Draft Analysis:
    • 6'1" Height
    • 32 3/8" Arm Length
    • 211LBS. Weight
    • 9 3/4" Hands
    Overview
    2013: First-team All-American and first-team All-Pac-12 selection. Was a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award. Started in all 13 games. 2012: Second-team All-Pac-12 pick. Played in all 12 games with 11 starts. 2011: Played in all 12 games with 11 starts. 2010: Played in all 12 games with eight starts. High school: Also earned four letters on golf team.

Analysis
    Strengths
    Reads run and drops downhill quickly. Has an old-school mentality -- likes contact and is a physical tackler (seeks to punish the ball carrier). Led the Pac-12 in tackles. Covers kicks and has an ideal mentality for special teams. Four-year starter and three-time captain.

Weaknesses
    Average speed -- struggles to recover from missteps and will not track anyone down from behind. Some tightness in his hips. Man-coverage limitations (struggles to match with slot receivers). Can be overaggressive and miss tackles. Does not always arrive under control in space. Misjudges angles.

Draft Projection
    Rounds 4-5

Bottom Line
    Although he's built like a cornerback, Bucannon's style of play makes it easy to identify him as a tone-setting strong safety. Has coverage limitations, but brings the aggressiveness and physicality to carve a niche as a downhill box defender and core special-teams player.

-Nolan Nawrocki
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Reports coming out today are that Alabama Safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix will not make it past the Rams at pick #13. If this is the case, the only other S worthy of the #14 Pick is Pryor otherwise the Bears will need to draft someone like Bucannon in the 2nd Round or later.

It's looking more and more like it'll be DL @ #14.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I think there was always a slim chance he'd fall to us especially with Detroit and the Rams ahead of us both wanting DBs. Guys like Gilbert, Dennard, and Dix are the top guys in that group and the only other position that's well stocked for top ten guys is OT. With the rest there are only one of two guys who rate that high except a QB reach we all know someone will make because they need one.

For my part I've begun to accept Dix as an equal as far as need goes and every bit as good a prospect at FS as Donald is at DT. I'm really hoping one of the two are there knowing Emery will have his choice and gets one of the more elite players in THIS draft. There are others but to me they're a notch down as far as being the best "fit". For instance; Pryor-more SS than FS, Mosley-more OLB or 3-4ILB, Jernigan-more Shade NT, Nix-more Two-Gap NT.

I think Fuller is also a good fit at CB, I just wouldn't take him if Donald was still on the board but if not I could see him as a better fit than some of the others. I just think he isn't worth that high a pick and there are others in the following rounds who may also work out after a year of sitting and growing as players. I hate to spend a 1st round pick on a guy who sits for a year. Especially one who isn't quite good enough to be considered "special" at his position. He's not a bad pick but is he the best for the Bears at that spot? Only Emery and his guys know so I'll leave it to them.