Tillman may be finished in Chicago.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 12, 2013.

?

Should we bring back Peanut next year?

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,403 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,411ß
    I hope the Bears can find a way to bring him back in '14 without breaking the bank. I believe he can be a solid CB for one more season. We could sure use him next season.

[​IMG]

2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,181 / 1 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,524ß
    Yes, we should try to bring back, but only if he doesn't ask too much $$$.

Looks like we'll have to draft his replacement after all.
  3. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He would just be another Julius Peppers.
  4. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +502 / 1 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    726ß
    Could be - hope it isn't.
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,370 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    395ß
    So we needed a POLL to bring Peanut back if healthy? I don't think he's going to "break the bank".
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,403 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,411ß
    Every player is different, so you judge each one individually.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,403 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,411ß
    He's going to be pretty old for a CB next year (he turns 33 this winter). Some positions can be played into the mid to late 30's. But the CB position is not an easy position to play at as an old guy. Money is an issue too. He's making $8-mil this season. Will an old CB, who's already lost a step, be worth that kind of money next year? Every old player drops off the cliff at some point in their career, and Peanut is no exception - so do you roll the dice?

I think you bring him back if he'll play for an incentive based contract. But an argument could be made to not sign him too. It's not all black-and-white here, IMHO.
  8. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    280ß
    I think Emery will offer him a ST contract at a price he feels is appropriate. It may end up like Urlacher, but clearly Peanut will not be making $8M in Chicago next year.
  9. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,370 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    395ß
    I would really like to see the candidate that's going to cover the likes of Megatron, Fitz, and the rest. Has he lost a step? Perhaps. If the D comes back healthy and Tucker improves as DC do you really let a turnover machine like that go? Like Sox has said he could get a really nice incentive laid deal. He won't make 8 mil and it's doubtful he'll drop off a cliff production wise like Pep has unless there is some other hidden injury we're not privy to.

Getting a new safety, the D coming back from injuries, and better scheming would most likely have Peanut looking relatively like his old self.
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +719 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    440ß
    Rule #1: This game is all about the business everyone and I mean everyone is expendable. Welcome to the NFL. Would I like them to keep Peanut YES YES and YES!!! BUT the price must be right because it's a business that sucks because loyalty goes right out the door. As soon as they accepted money to play a sport loyalty went out the door. That's the way it is I don't make the rules but if you want to win in a cut throat business what you get for your money is what it all boils down too. I like Pep but he's way too expensive to keep his contract is not loyal to the development of this team he must go so will Hester. Loyalty is nice in College but in the pros and Walmart what's the best quality product I can get cheap will be purchased. That's the name of the game and these NFL players are starting to get a little slap in the face from life with supply and demand. These young kids coming out can play for cheaper and healthier.
  11. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    Hard question, he has become more and more of an injurie prone but he is still a really good CB so I'd bring him back if he doesn't ask for too much.

Still we have to draft a CB there is no doubt about it. Question is just if we'll draft a starter or a backup who can start when Peanut gets injuried.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    Hard question, he has become more and more of an injurie prone but he is still a really good CB so I'd bring him back if he doesn't ask for too much.

Still we have to draft a CB there is no doubt about it. Question is just if we'll draft a starter or a backup who can start when Peanut gets injuried.
  13. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +296 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Drafting a starter for CB in the NFL is not as easy as getting a RB or even a safety. There have been only a few that really have made an impact in thier first season. Hope we can get Peanut back and land his replacement in the draft.
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,813 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,021ß
    So you draft one and get another in FA via 1 or 2 year contract ala DJ and Anderson.
  15. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    656ß
    Loyalty in this day and age it hard to find.

However, I think the Bears need to remain loyal to Peanut. Hell, I'm on the fence on whether he deserves his number retired.

While he isn't a burner like some of the big name players, we've asked him to cover elite receivers his whole career. People forget the Randy Moss days?
    We've always matched him up with top receivers. Yeah he's not a burner, but remember he's been consistent. How much safety help does he get? Not every screw up is his fault. He needs safety support too.

So IMO, keep him on, I don't think he wants big money.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Well most of us want Tillman back next year, now all we can do is hope 1. that a deal gets done. 2. Tillman can still play like the top player he has been.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,403 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,411ß
    This is on ESPN this morning. Even after the season ending injury, they have Peanut as a top-10 CB in the NFL. They have him rated as the best tackling CB in the NFL, and 6th best overall CB in the NFL. It's an "Insider" article so I can't post it all here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  18. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +296 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    The thing about a tricep injury is that he should not effect his ability to rehab his knee. Hoping that he can recover from both and come back next year as healthy as he can possibly be.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +880 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    579ß
    One year deal, or maybe two, incentive-laden, so he can mentor his replacement. The man is still THE MAN. I want to see more Peanut Punches.
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +504 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    I selected the yes with the right condition. I think bringing peanut back should be up there in priority for Emery. 8 mil tho cannot be done with our current state imo. I think a nice incentive based contract would be the best case scenario. Peanut is at the end of his career, hes lived/played here in Chicago for quite a while now so maybe we can get a mutually beneficial deal done.

He does provide lots of turnovers but guarding Megatron twice a year is where he really has value. Without him it would prolly be left to Frey to do that because I don't think Jennings is big enough to compete with those extremely talented 6'4+ guys out there now.