Tillman may be finished in Chicago.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 12, 2013.

?

Should we bring back Peanut next year?

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    We need to keep Tillman. He can still be effective, but he needs a reliable safety to cover his back. That last TD by Megatron was a perfect example. Once Megatron got past him there was no deep help. This has been a huge problem all year. I wouldn't mind replacing Conte with Tillman at safety and acquiring a new CB.
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,584ß
    You know who would mind that?

Tillman
  3. DavidL

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    Tillman is a great tackler with excellent football instincts. I think he could easily make the transition, and god know we need a free safety who can cover the deep zones as well as come up to stop runs. It would extend his career. He should look at the great Charles Woodson as a model.
  4. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,584ß
    Tillman does not want to move to safety though
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,584ß

“No,” Tillman said when asked about the possibility of moving to safety. “I think my athleticism is still there to play corner in this league, whether it be for the Bears or somebody else. I think I still have some corner left in me.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4688061/tillman-may-have-played-last-game-as-a-bear
  6. DavidL

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    Maybe our new coach can convince him that it is in his long-term self-interest. Or maybe have a chat with Woodson about it. I think with better safety support he can still play CB next season, but if he wants to extend his career, safety is in his future. Guys like Tillman and Urlaxher who have good football smarts can still play respectable football after they have lost a step, but it's tough at the CB position with young 4.4 speedsters running at you.
  7. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,288 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Peanut has covered Megatron before with no safety help but when healthy. Tucker should have realized he is hurting and a step slow. Switching Peanut to safety he would take more abuse esp. vs. the run. Add to that his "Peanut Punch" would be somewhat diminished as he hits the wr early. As a safety he would be getting there late reducing his effectiveness.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,293 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,731ß
    What I'm concerned about is that he may not be back. From interviews I have seen him do, he does not get too caught up in either himself or the NFL circus. He has a really level head on his shoulders. He may just decide that he wants to lead a healthy life and that he has enough money and enough wear and tear on his body.
    The guy is very under rated IMO. He is one of the best. I'll say one thing. The poor pass rush has really caused lots of points to be scored against us. That is WITH Tillman. Without him, it is going to be a train wreck unless we get the pass rush to be passable. And some Emery pixie dust on the next CB draft selection would not hurt either.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  9. DavidL

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    That's certainly true, but he would at least get there. I am sick to death of seeing Wright and Conte arrive late on long TD passes. Tillman would also step up and tackle runners (where he can force fumbles). I was watching the Lions game again today (masochist). On Bush's 40 yd. run, Conte had a clean shot at him and completely whiffed -- didn't touch him. Peanut ran him down from behind. I'm missing Briggs -- Bostic and Anderson took themselves out of the play on those 2nd half Bush runs.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,584ß
    But again, despite what you want, HE DOESN'T. And he will pick his team next year one not only who pays him best, but who lets him play CB.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,293 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,731ß
    yeah, it's a bunch of stuff (I think). People not in position, people just not good enough to get off blocks and affect the play, and people just missing simple tackles. It seems to be both personnel (injuries) and preparation (coaching). At least to me.
  12. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,288 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    What is going to revitalize the DB's are:

-Guys returning from injury

-An actual pass rush not predicated by blitzing LB's

-Tucker not putting these guys in bad scheme coverages

-Emphasis on fundamentals like reading landmarks in a cover 2 etc.

Just some of these things alone and players all of a sudden are reclimated or rejuvenated.
  13. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    If you don't have a pass rush, you will get dominated in the passing game. No team can stop the pass without a pass rush.

Also no CB can shut down a WR single handedly every play. They need help. For those who will say Revis, and some others, 99.9% of them need help. Period.

Tillman is a class act all the way around. He's the closest thing to Walter Payton I can think of.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think we need 2 new CB's one future start and one for depth.