Tillman on Chi return: "This is a business"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearstuff, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,145 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    515ß
    Tillman on Chi return: "This is a business"

July, 23, 2014
    JUL 23
    8:18
    PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- The chances of Charles Tillman returning to Chicago for a 12th season seemed remote at the onset of free agency in March.

Tillman, an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his illustrious career, appeared destined to reunite with former Bears head coach Lovie Smith in Tampa Bay. But after making a free agent visit to the Buccaneers, Tillman went home without a deal, and ultimately re-signed with the Chicago Bears for one year at $3.25 million. Tillman earned just over $8 million in 2013.

[+] Enlarge[​IMG]
    Grant Halverson/Getty ImagesCharles Tillman wasn't expecting to spend a 12th season in Chicago, but he's back with the Bears as training camp gets set to open.
    On the eve of his 12th training camp with the Bears, Tillman admitted to still being somewhat surprised he remains with the Bears when reached during a promotional appearance Wednesday morning.

“At the end of the day this is a business,” Tillman said. “Despite all that I’ve done for Chicago, none of that matters, that doesn’t mean a thing. I’m just a [salary] cap number. I realize that. They realize that. It’s the game. It’s the world we live in. I’m very well aware of that. At the end of the day it was business. At the end of the day it’s always business. If I get hurt, if I go down, the show goes on. I’m replaced. When I retire, it’ll be somebody else and I’ll be long gone and forgotten. That’s just how this business and this league operates.

"So it was just all business at the end of the day. I didn’t take it personally. They didn’t take it personally. They were just trying to get the best guy at the cheapest amount. That’s just kind of how this business roles.”

Tillman was one of the many casualties on defense last season. The two-time Pro Bowl selection started just eight games (52.5 tackles, three interceptions and three forced fumbles) before suffering a season-ending triceps injury. Tillman watched as the Bears’ defense hit historic lows, ranking dead last in the league against the run.

But the offense thrived under first-year head coach Marc Trestman, finishing No. 2 in points scored and No. 5 in passing yards.

That resurgence on offense, coupled with key offseason defensive signings such as Jared Allen and Lamarr Houston, has Tillman convinced this could be his best shot to reach a Super Bowl since the 2006 team.

“Our offense did a really good job for us last year keeping us in games because what we were doing on defense wasn’t cutting it,” Tillman said. “The hard part about our offense is can they do it again? We claimed that title last year of being a very good offense. That was last year. This is this year now. Can you do it again? Nobody cares about last year. You can’t hang your hat on being one of the best offenses of 2013. If you do, it’s going to be a long season for us.

"Defensively, we can’t hang our heads on being the worst defense in the NFL last year. Right now we have to focus on and prepare to be one of the best defenses in the NFL in 2014. It’s a title you have to reclaim every year. From both a team standpoint and individual perspective. It’s all reset. The Seattle Seahawks were Super Bowl champions last year. Well, there’ll be a new one this year. Everybody is equal and everybody is even.

"I think Lamarr and Jared are going to help us out a lot. But how much better are we? I think we are better, but that’s just a thought. I think we have the best team on paper in the NFL right now; the hard part is going out there and proving that we are the best team. Right now, we are stacked. We have a lot of talent of defense. I think the Bears did a very good job in helping us out in areas that we were weak in last year. We just need to go out and execute like we are supposed to, and then we can call ourselves a better team.”

Tillman, a native of Texas, has spent the days leading up to training camp working in conjunction with Gatorade to educate younger football players and athletes on heat safety and the importance of hydration when participating in sports during the warm summer months.
  2. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +1,145 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    515ß
    Sure sounds like he took it personally. You don't go on and on like that if your feelings aren't hurt. This makes the 3rd round of "it's a business".
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Yeah, I don't believe for a second he didn't take it personally. He probably took it personal that the Bears didn't want him back quite as desperately as he hoped and that things didn't work out with Tampa Bay.

But, as long as he handles his "business" on the field I'll be happy!
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
  4. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +1,145 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    515ß
    I see his disappointment as 2 fold. I think he thought that Lovie would welcome him to Tampa at a comparable salary to last year's 8mil. He thought that Lovie's loyalty approach was going to foot that bill. Lovie doesn't have the pull he had here with Angelo. Once TB let him know his real value, he came back here.

His loyalty to Lovie was greater than his loyalty to the Bears, and I think that is a byproduct of Urlacher/Hester/etc. and the firing of Lovie.

He played well last year (when healthy) and gave his all, so I don't expect this to be a problem.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Yep, and that's the way I see it too. Peanut is a consummate pro and he'll play his butt off wherever that maybe. Even though he checked out the deal in TB and playing for Lovie was where his heart may have been for a bit his head still said he wanted to finish his career as a life long Bear and retire as a Bear and he said that. That doesn't happen much these days.

It has very much become a business and the salary cap enforces situations that didn't exist a decade ago when players highest earning years were often their last one or two. In affect Peanut benefitted from that last year when he earned $8 mil in a year the Bears quite possibly never counted on him playing when the deal was made.

With offseason nutrition and conditioning programs being what they are today and modern surgical techniques being less invasive player can recover faster and better which is extending careers far beyond what anyone thought would happen ten or fifteen years ago. So players like Peanut end up being able to tie another year or two onto what was thought to be their last career deal when that contract was signed.

This creates a problem because teams aren't budgeting another multi million deal for some of these guys and they're either forced to let them go as the Vikes did with Jared Allen or the player has to accept that what he'll be offered is a salary reduction and a short term deal if he wants to stay like what happened with Peanut and may also happen with Briggs next year.

I'm sure it does hurt their pride a bit but and I respect Peanut being honest about it and his feelings. You can't fault him for that. It's the way he is as human being and it's also the way he is as a player. Whatever transpired this past spring is all water over the damn now. I have no doubt Peanut and the rest of the 30+ vets on this team will be doing everything they can to win games this year with the hope of getting a shot at a ring.
  6. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +941 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Well, this keeps coming up from the media. Why do they keep asking him. They are persistent in trying to enter his mind.

With Tillman, he has been a solid work horse for the Bears. Yeah, for as much as they have asked him to do for 12 years, does he deserve a little bit of room to complain? Yeah maybe. It is business.

However, this is the one and ONLY thing you will read about him being close to negative. So in my opinion this is fine.

They are simply looking for a story because it would be un-Tillman like to hear him complain.

Again, he is probably the most worked player the last 12 years. As I've said before, he's on ST, not just defense, but we put him on #1 WRs and expect him to cover them all game. He's been a beast for 12 years. He deserves some slack.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    He's an honest man in every way you can be including the way he does his job. You'd never hear him complain about being under paid like both Briggs and Urlacher did earlier in their careers and I don't see his comments as complaints. Just stating facts. He would also never give less than 110% effort to this team.

I agree with you Ski. They really should just let the whole thing drop but there those media types out there always looking for a new slant for an article because their boss told then he needs 500 words on something that isn't "who'll be the backup QB".

Peanut is always gonna speak his mind so in this case Dickerson went for it. The rest of the story is all about the team and Peanuts views on things but that's not the attention getter Dickerson uses for a headline and a lead in. I don't like either of the two ESPN assholes who are the Bears beat guys. Michael C. Wright is the other and IMHO he's a lousy writer.

Gimme "Moon Mullins and the Comcast bunch any day.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    376ß
    Tillman is a great player as well as a great person. Sure he was probably hurt when they didn't offer him the extended contract right away. Anyone that plays as good as he has for the Bears would have felt the same way. It's called human nature we all have the longing to be loved and wanted for who we are and what we do. But you can be guaranteed at one time or another in life we are ALL going to get a reality check that can really hurt. It's how you handle those reality checks or what I like to call the kick to the balls episode of life that we go thorough and at times they just don't seem to F'n stop sometimes. It seems these people that have it much better off than most of us like to whine the loudest and the media likes to display these emotions from this group. Because the media knows it makes for good press when you can piss off the have nots and say "see they really are pricks." However, Tillman handled it with a lot of class as best he could from his side of the story and is making the best of it for him and the Bears, not like some (Brian).
    • Like Like x 1
  9. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,200 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    What the media needs to add next to his pro-bowl appearances is that he is the all time combined FF/Int leader (surpassing Brian Dawkins last year despite injury). They can deep six it with all that dredging up the past B.S.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  10. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    831ß
  11. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,957 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    You need the rest of the story to make that picture make sense.

He said he was gonna get a tropical screen saver on is computer and that would be his pretended vacation (paraphrasing of course)
  12. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +172 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Hopefully this is all the media making this sound like an issue. I would hate to have a (great) vet that is negative in the locker room. We don't need that type of issue holding us back.
  13. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +941 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    The media asked him this same shit during his charity bowling event as well.

Why are they trying to get blood from a rock?

It's almost like they are trying to find dirt in a glass of water.

Leave this fucking guy alone. He answered your questions.

Besides, who even wants to read that he's sore from the way his contract played out?

This is all everyone needs to know:

PEANUT TILLMAN SHOWS UP TO PLAY ON GAME DAY!
  14. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    I believe his perspective about how the NFL works is right on target. He saw what happened to BU. It is hard to take a salary cut from 8mil to 3 mil. Is there ego involved absolutely. He realizes he is not the same player he was in his pro bowl seasons. I think, he is coming to grips with his career coming to a close soon, to a game he really loves. It would be tough for any one of us. I for one have enjoyed watching Peanut play and represent the Bears organization like the pro he has always behaved like.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  15. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,505 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    811ß
    He obviously hasnt been paying attention to how Chicago fans remember their star athletes.