Time for a new rule!

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by JoeBear, Nov 19, 2013.

1. JoeBear

JoeBear

We have had the "tuck rule" (OK to fumble if you were only faking rule); The "ball moved" (or the control the ball to ground, or up to 10 minutes after catch) rule. Rules that were meant to cover up a bad call by a dumb official.

Now it is time for the "Ok to commit pass interference if we think that the receiver might not have caught it anyway" (besides we want to go home) rule.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01

For as many rules have gone towards the O's favor, I actually like this one. No penalty on the opposite side of the field should effect a play that went on in the opposite side.

I liked the call. Gronk, for as bad of a man as he is, is not catching a ball that was thrown into a DB's chest who is 3 ft in front of him and has his body blocking Gronk out.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Isn't that already a rule? It's not pass interference if the pass is deemed uncatchable?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

I want the "Calvin Johnson rule" revoked. Back in the 'old days", if you catch the ball with both feet in-bounds and on the ground, that is ruled a catch. I also want to bring back the force-out rule on sideline catches. Finally, I want the refs to enforce the pick-rule stricter (this is the NFL,not the NBA).
  5. The Benjamin

The CJ rules is the right rule
  6. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

It's the rule, but it's not right. Under the old rules that we had for about 50 years, the Jeffrey catch was a TD and the Bears win the game.
  7. The Benjamin

I will give you the Jeffery catch, I hate the shove out rule, but the CJ rule is the proper rule. It is the right call. CJ got screwed, thankfully in the Bears favor. If the old board were still around you would see old posts saying the same thing. CJ got screwed, but we will take it because it won us the game.
  8. The Benjamin

The rule is the rule. We may not like it, but you MUST have control of the ball in order for it to count as a catch
  9. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Your misstated the rule. Look at the replay. Jeffrey had the ball FIRMLY GRASPED IN BOTH HANDS with both feet in-bounds and on the ground. That was a TD before they instituted the CJ rule.
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01

under old rules incomplete forward passes would be result in a turn over, but the rules changed
    under old rules you could manhandle wr's all the way down the field, and closeline qb's and other players, but the rules changed
    under the old rules you could form a wedge on returns, you no longer can, the rules changed.

my point is that it doesn't matter what the rules in the past were, what matters is what they are now, and how they now interpet the existing rules....b/c the interpetations change also.
  11. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

I don't want any of the old rules except the ones I mentioned.
  12. The Benjamin

The AJ catch was not a catch and never used to be. Before if you shoved a guy out of bounds when they were in air making a catch, it was a flag. On Sunday, AJ jumped for the ball and caught it in the air. He was then shoved out of bounds while still in the air. Before, that would have drawn a flag, not any more though.

The CJ rule isn't really a new rule. It has always been there, it just rarely ever happened. It just so happened to take place on a Nationally Televised game, which brought National attention to it. You always had to complete the process of the catch.
  13. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

From the NFL rule book....

"Item 3: End Zone Catches. If a player catches the ball while in the end zone, both feet must be completely on the ground before losing possession, or the pass is incomplete."

That is what happened. Watch it again -- I just did. They erroneously applied the Calvin Johnson rule to the catch instead of the end zone catch rule..Jeffrey had firm control of the ball in both hands with both feet on the ground in the end zone before losing possession. That's supposed to be a TD. The only ambiguous thing is whether they say both feet must be simultaneously on the ground in the end zone, but the rule doesn't say that and normally it's a catch so long as each foot touches in-bounds with ball in hands before going out of bounds,
  14. The Benjamin

I watched the play as it happened, he had possession, but his feet never touched the ground as he was shoved out of bounds. Both feet do not need to touch at the same time. We have seen players drag feet all the time. But both feet MUST be in bounds. I do not think AJ got both, dont think he got either

And
  15. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

I have it on video. I just watched it again in slow motion from the best angle (camera behind players in corner of end zone). As he comes down with ball in both hands, the first thing to touch ground is his left foot (clearly in-bounds). The next thing to touch is his right knee with ball still in both hands (and also clearly in-bounds). At that point, it is a TD under the end zone catch rule (but not the CJ rule). It isn't until his body turns and he falls on his back that the ball comes loose. I'm confident that anybody here who recorded the game can confirm.
  16. The Benjamin

Maybe we are talking about two different plays.

But if he lost the ball while falling/landing out of bounds, it is a no catch
  17. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

NFL competition committee is made up of owners/managers and NOT officials. It is not likely that rules were implemented as a way to "cover up a bad call".

And by "not likely", I mean "no chance in hell".

As an official (albeit different sports) if you are gonna accuse an official of making a call or interpreting a rule a certain way because they "want to go home", you better make damn sure you completely and entirely understand the rule as written. There is nothing in your post that indicates you do, so we'll just mark this down in the "dislikes authority" column.
  18. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Apparently so. I am talking about 4th Q pass from Cutler into right corner of end zone in Lions game. What game are you talking about?
  19. The Benjamin

I was talking about the play in the Ravens game where he caught the ball in the endzone but was shoved out
  20. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

That's why i want to bring back the force-out rule. These receivers can jump 3 feet in the air, making it easy for the DB to force them out. This rule shrinks the effective size of the end zone. I vaguely remember that M. Bennett was forced out the back of the end zone after a leaping catch is one of the Bears earlier games. Am I dreaming that, or do youalso recall it?