Time for a new rule!

Discussion in 'NFL Forum' started by JoeBear, Nov 19, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,790ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I don't want any of the old rules except the ones I mentioned.

2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,254ß
    The AJ catch was not a catch and never used to be. Before if you shoved a guy out of bounds when they were in air making a catch, it was a flag. On Sunday, AJ jumped for the ball and caught it in the air. He was then shoved out of bounds while still in the air. Before, that would have drawn a flag, not any more though.

The CJ rule isn't really a new rule. It has always been there, it just rarely ever happened. It just so happened to take place on a Nationally Televised game, which brought National attention to it. You always had to complete the process of the catch.

3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,790ß
    From the NFL rule book....

"Item 3: End Zone Catches. If a player catches the ball while in the end zone, both feet must be completely on the ground before losing possession, or the pass is incomplete."

That is what happened. Watch it again -- I just did. They erroneously applied the Calvin Johnson rule to the catch instead of the end zone catch rule..Jeffrey had firm control of the ball in both hands with both feet on the ground in the end zone before losing possession. That's supposed to be a TD. The only ambiguous thing is whether they say both feet must be simultaneously on the ground in the end zone, but the rule doesn't say that and normally it's a catch so long as each foot touches in-bounds with ball in hands before going out of bounds,

4. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,254ß
    I watched the play as it happened, he had possession, but his feet never touched the ground as he was shoved out of bounds. Both feet do not need to touch at the same time. We have seen players drag feet all the time. But both feet MUST be in bounds. I do not think AJ got both, dont think he got either

And

5. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,790ß
    I have it on video. I just watched it again in slow motion from the best angle (camera behind players in corner of end zone). As he comes down with ball in both hands, the first thing to touch ground is his left foot (clearly in-bounds). The next thing to touch is his right knee with ball still in both hands (and also clearly in-bounds). At that point, it is a TD under the end zone catch rule (but not the CJ rule). It isn't until his body turns and he falls on his back that the ball comes loose. I'm confident that anybody here who recorded the game can confirm.

6. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,254ß
    Maybe we are talking about two different plays.

But if he lost the ball while falling/landing out of bounds, it is a no catch

7. Loki

Loki Assault Admin
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,672ß
    NFL competition committee is made up of owners/managers and NOT officials. It is not likely that rules were implemented as a way to "cover up a bad call".

And by "not likely", I mean "no chance in hell".

As an official (albeit different sports) if you are gonna accuse an official of making a call or interpreting a rule a certain way because they "want to go home", you better make damn sure you completely and entirely understand the rule as written. There is nothing in your post that indicates you do, so we'll just mark this down in the "dislikes authority" column.

8. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,790ß
    Apparently so. I am talking about 4th Q pass from Cutler into right corner of end zone in Lions game. What game are you talking about?

9. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,254ß
    I was talking about the play in the Ravens game where he caught the ball in the endzone but was shoved out

10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,790ß
    That's why i want to bring back the force-out rule. These receivers can jump 3 feet in the air, making it easy for the DB to force them out. This rule shrinks the effective size of the end zone. I vaguely remember that M. Bennett was forced out the back of the end zone after a leaping catch is one of the Bears earlier games. Am I dreaming that, or do youalso recall it?