Time for Emery to pick up the phone (if he hasn't already)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JoeBear, Oct 11, 2013.

1. JoeBear

JoeBear
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    It is time for Phil Emmery to make a deal and get us a Defensive Tackle. I know it won't be easy at this point in the season, but we have depth at other positions. We have got to shore up the line.

2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

you be Emery.

Who do you target, and what do you give up?

3. jbunch14

jbunch14
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

This is absolutely the wrong time of the year to be calling teams about their quality players. They are going to want a king's ransom as they know we are in a position of weakness. I don't want to see us mortgage the D's future for a mediocre player this year. Hopefully all of the off time we have in the next 3 weeks will help on the injury front, and we can get some guys like Paea and Peanut back up and healthy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. omc1969

omc1969
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Three words ..............
    NO CAP SPACE !
    :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. JIMMY MAC FAN

JIMMY MAC FAN
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

I don't know, if a team has an excess of decent DT's, is overpaying for a guy on the bench, and could get a 4th or 5th round draft pick for him they may be willing to deal. The cap space thing could be a limiting factor though.

6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

That's my thinking too. That's what I'm reading also. Unless we could find a guy who would "work for food" I think we're screwed.

This guy is still available, but he's almost as old as Garza. Minimal cap hit if we sign him though.

[​IMG]

7. JIMMY MAC FAN

JIMMY MAC FAN
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

Richard Seymour is available if he lowers his asking price.

8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

From what I'm hearing, he'd have to lower it by a ton. And as some have pointed out, 32 teams have passed on him now, for a reason. Part of the reason may be that he's an old geezer who can't play worth crap now, but asking for a sizable contract. I'd be sick if we added another old player who can't play well anymore.

9. JIMMY MAC FAN

JIMMY MAC FAN
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

NFL Free Agents Still Available
    Posted: 09/29/2013 12:42 pm EDT | Updated: 09/29/2013 12:42 pm EDT

Defensive Linemen

Andre Carter (DE): The Oakland Raiders released Carter because of his inability to generate a pass rush during the pre-season. Carter worked out for the New England Patriots recently. He earned the lone Pro Bowl selection of his career with the Patriots in 2011 when he had 10 sacks in 14 games.

Richard Seymour (DT): The Atlanta Falcons were interested in Seymour during the off-season but his price tag was too high. Seymour will remain on the sidelines unless he lowers his salary demands.

Others: Mark Anderson (DE), Justin Bannan (DT), Rocky Bernard (DT), Casey Hampton (DT), Lawrence Jackson (DE), Sione Po’uha (DT), Kyle Vanden Bosch (DE)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/29/nfl-free-agents-still-available_n_4013183.html

10. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox
    Expand Collapse
    Position Coach

I'd much prefer we grab a kid off some teams PS than waste time on washed up vets. Adam Replogle and Cody Larsen top my list, but guys like Marcus Forston, Michael Brooks or Everett Dawkins would be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1