Time for Emery to pick up the phone (if he hasn't already)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JoeBear, Oct 11, 2013.

1. JoeBear

JoeBear

It is time for Phil Emmery to make a deal and get us a Defensive Tackle. I know it won't be easy at this point in the season, but we have depth at other positions. We have got to shore up the line.
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

you be Emery.

Who do you target, and what do you give up?
  3. jbunch14

jbunch14

This is absolutely the wrong time of the year to be calling teams about their quality players. They are going to want a king's ransom as they know we are in a position of weakness. I don't want to see us mortgage the D's future for a mediocre player this year. Hopefully all of the off time we have in the next 3 weeks will help on the injury front, and we can get some guys like Paea and Peanut back up and healthy.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. omc1969

omc1969

Three words ..............
    NO CAP SPACE !
    :(
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. JIMMY MAC FAN

JIMMY MAC FAN

I don't know, if a team has an excess of decent DT's, is overpaying for a guy on the bench, and could get a 4th or 5th round draft pick for him they may be willing to deal. The cap space thing could be a limiting factor though.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

That's my thinking too. That's what I'm reading also. Unless we could find a guy who would "work for food" I think we're screwed.

This guy is still available, but he's almost as old as Garza. Minimal cap hit if we sign him though.

[​IMG]
  7. JIMMY MAC FAN

JIMMY MAC FAN

Richard Seymour is available if he lowers his asking price.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

From what I'm hearing, he'd have to lower it by a ton. And as some have pointed out, 32 teams have passed on him now, for a reason. Part of the reason may be that he's an old geezer who can't play worth crap now, but asking for a sizable contract. I'd be sick if we added another old player who can't play well anymore.
  9. JIMMY MAC FAN

JIMMY MAC FAN

NFL Free Agents Still Available
    Posted: 09/29/2013 12:42 pm EDT | Updated: 09/29/2013 12:42 pm EDT

Defensive Linemen

Andre Carter (DE): The Oakland Raiders released Carter because of his inability to generate a pass rush during the pre-season. Carter worked out for the New England Patriots recently. He earned the lone Pro Bowl selection of his career with the Patriots in 2011 when he had 10 sacks in 14 games.

Richard Seymour (DT): The Atlanta Falcons were interested in Seymour during the off-season but his price tag was too high. Seymour will remain on the sidelines unless he lowers his salary demands.

Others: Mark Anderson (DE), Justin Bannan (DT), Rocky Bernard (DT), Casey Hampton (DT), Lawrence Jackson (DE), Sione Po’uha (DT), Kyle Vanden Bosch (DE)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/29/nfl-free-agents-still-available_n_4013183.html
  10. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

I'd much prefer we grab a kid off some teams PS than waste time on washed up vets. Adam Replogle and Cody Larsen top my list, but guys like Marcus Forston, Michael Brooks or Everett Dawkins would be fine.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68

This ^^^^^. And cheaper too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH

I'd take Vanden Bosch or Bernard, but I don't think it would solve much
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

every one of those are old as ****. Since Emery has also recently come out and said there is absolutely no way in hell we're going to a 3-4 defense, our best bet is to kick the tires on Toe again (although he looked like he was over the hill last year), and see if Okoye wants to play again. Other than that, they just need to work out as many young FA's as possible, and hope they find SOMEONE who knows how to play.

For the last time, we are NOT getting Richard Seymour; he's more interested in doing t.v., and is doing well with his finances.
  14. JIMMY MAC FAN

JIMMY MAC FAN

We are not trying to sign someone for the future, we are trying to salvage the season. If one of theses guys or someone in a trade can upgrade them at DT they need to do it IMO.
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

But there's no one to trade for, and Seymour is NOT going to be a Chicago Bear. He's happy NOT playing football, and the fact that only the 49ers have even expressed interest in him shows we're not in the running. Kicking the tires on old players is what we're gonna have to settle for this season.
  16. MikeV

MikeV

giants season is over, Shaun Rogers can probably be had for a 7th rounder (6th at the most)...not the answer for the future but Paea, Rogers, Cohen and Minter can get us through the season with situational help from Wootton.
  17. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35

I do not see Emery trading away any more 2014 draft picks for a potential new DT. Emery has already traded our 7th round pick away to Dallas for Rosario, but IMO that only happened because he gained a 6th round pick from the Bucs for Camiri. Also Emery has expressed that his theory to building a contender year in and year out is through the draft.... shows you how high he values draft picks.
  18. short faced bear

short faced bear

Salvage the season? Come again? We have a rookie head coach and a GM transitioning his own personnel in. Going .500 is being good and optimistic considering.

No way would I wish Emery to mortgage picks and players this season that most likely won't sniff the playoffs.
  19. riczaj01

riczaj01

biggest problem is that there is no cap room for anyone that is good, and proven. DT's worth a damn are going to kill the cap. Hard to make any trades at this point that don't sacrafice the future w/picks and kill the cap.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68

There isn't going to be a trade. Let that go.
    • Agree Agree x 1