To date camp notes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jul 29, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    So a new site huh...all that info lost huh...it's okay. I'll give a brief breakdown of what's happened so far

D is ahead of the O per usual. Cutler the first 3 days started the day w/ pick pick inc. but not day 4, he got his first completion.

All the DB's look strong, KHayden stripped Forte of the ball once on Monday, which is an impressive feat b/c Forte doesn't fumble often.

Right site of the OL is weak. Long looks good 1x1 in drills but gets owned in 7x7 and 11x11 drills, from what I heard on the radio today Brown is the clear starter right now, but he's also taking time at LG w/the 2nd team which he has done every day during practice.

Bushrod is hurt right now, but nothing serious, Scott actually took time. And Corey Brandon has started taking time at LT in the backup groups.

DL looks strong, Paea is owning fools and living in the backfield, same w/Shea and Wooton. But is that a sign of the weak OL or a sign of a dominant DL? Why can't it be both? Hopefully they get it all solidified.

WR's: Marshal, Jeffery, Wilson, and Anderson are making impressions. So are MBennett and Fendi.

There are no competitions at RB, and by that I mean Allen is the 3rd RB. Forte is being used in the wr position and Allen in the backfield when he does.

Blanchard looks strong, but McCown looks weak(no zip on the ball), anyone really suprised? Cutler looks good and his mechanics strong, but the question is going to be how those mechanics hold up in the real season.

TMcBride is out for the year, which leaves the DT weak, but they have some youngin's stepping up to to see what they can do.
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    btw, first post woot! ya i'm childish like that :D
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    The second practice is finally in the books. We rounded up some of the developments from camp - what are your thoughts?
    Tweet Share 68 Comments
    Or if you prefer, "Delayed Reaction," seeing as this is a bit late.
    Anyway. To the recap of the day's Bears versus Bears contest. Or practice.
    Jay Cutler got things started in pretty much the same way as yesterday's practice - completing a pass to a guy on the other side of the ball, as he got picked off by Charles Tillman on the first throw. Then he had his second pass tipped. He completed his third pass to Alshon Jeffery, and the peasants rejoiced crowd cheered.
    John "Moon" Mullin has Mike Hass Memorial Award Candidate Fendi Onobun sitting as the #2 tight end currently behind Martellus Bennett.
    Brandon Marshall made a nice leaping catch, and apparently his hip issues are no longer as restrictive, though still restrictive. Marquess Wilson also showed up pretty well today.
    Brandon Hardin started getting some time with the second unit today - he won't be starting unless something happens, but it'll be nice to see the former third-rounder playing football.
    Matt Blanchard tore up the third unit. Quarterback of da future?!
    Speaking of third-stringers, Armando Allen's looked good in camp, aside from the fumbles.
    James Brown started getting snaps at right guard with the first team, then Brown and Long started sharing time as Long started working with the ones. Later, Brown moved to left guard and Long played at right. Read into that what you will.
    Practice was cut short by 12-14 plays because Marc Trestman said he enjoyed how efficient the team was.
    Of course, the most important thing: Bears win.
    Your thoughts? Practices are finally padded tomorrow!

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/7/27/4563166/chicago-bears-training-camp-day-2-recap
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,157 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Like a ghost town in here Ric.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    Chicago Bears Training Camp: Day 3 Recap
    By Steven Schweickert@SJS_illini on Jul 28 2013, 12:00p 65

Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports
    Stay connected for news and updates Follow @WindyCGridiron
    The Bears' first padded practice has wrapped up. What were some of the highlights of practice? Who looked good and who didn't? Our own Kev H was on the scene...
    Tweet Share 65 Comments ⋆Rec (3)
    Day 3 of Bears training camp was a special one... as our very own Kev H was on the scene bringing us some live reporting. Oh, and there were pads being worn today too - I guess that's an important detail as well.
    On to the day 3 recap!
    Things started off on a higher note as the first pass of the day was complete to nobody. ... Which is an improvement over an interception.
    A head coach being vocal with the offense? What madness is this?! Also, burst is important.
    New receiving drills - infield practice. Wait what?
    And Jay Cutler completes a pass to Brandon Marshall. For a touchdown. Marquess Wilson continues to get in on the act.
    Matt Forte finally earned himself a touchdown.
    Kyle Long took care of Nate Collins on a couple plays. Collins got his revenge later in 11 vs 11.
    Patrick Mannelly is still just as good as ever.
    Corey Wootton's getting work in the Israel Idonije switch role - which makes sense, considering how many defensive ends are roaming the roster.
    Jeffery displayed a good bit of speed to get behind the defense for a touchdown.
    Attention: The right side of the line is still awkward.
    Peanut Puncher still gonna Peanut Punch. But Martellus Bennett recovered the Charles Tillman-forced fumble.
    Matt Blanchard is still looking good. Except for Isaiah Frey ripping away an interception. Could Josh McCown be in jeopardy? Eh, not sure.
    This just in: Cutler getting things straightened out.
    And the most important thing: Bears win.

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/7/28/4565306/chicago-bears-training-camp-day-3-recap
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    Chicago Bears Training Camp: Day 4 Open Thread
    By Spongie on Jul 29 2013, 9:48a 57

Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports
    Stay connected for news and updates Follow @WindyCGridiron
    Will the O-line improve in the second day of padded practice?
    The defensive line had the upper hand in line in yesterday's practice, but it's early days yet. Will the newly-constituted offensive line up take its first baby steps towards gelling into a serviceable unit by the start of the season? What else are you looking out for?
    More from yesterday in the open thread, the recap, Schweickert on key camp battles and more camp roundup (hello, sailor), and what the media reported collected in today's Den.
    To borrow from Schweickert borrowing me borrowing from Lester:
    Here's a link to the entire Chicago Bears training camp schedule.
    The Chicago Bears website also has a handy Training Camp FAQ which can be found here.
    Please keep in mind that Open Threads are rated WCG-MA, so you may see a naughty word or two in the comment section. Here's a link to our community guidelines so you know what is still out of bounds. It may be an open thread, but we still should act fairly civilized, we're not Yahoos.
    Now enjoy the open thread!
    And, as Schweickert reminded us, Open Thread Responsibly (TM).

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/7/29/4567680/chicago-bears-training-camp-day-4-open-thread
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    ya SFB it is, but as people see the new site and figure out they have to sign back up it'll pick up.

So far this site is 100000x better then what it was. Sucks the threads(ecspecially in TBS) were lost, but it's nothing that cannot be redone and made better.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    just to make sure, in case no one has heard.

Trestman runs a purposefully fast pace and frantic camp so that, hopefully, the in game chaos will move slower for the players.

He's also far more vocal then lovie dovie giving comments about to players as they run off the field.

Cavanaugh has been teaching to all the qb's, it was commented by a tweeter that it's the first, in a long time, that all qb's were pupils to the qbc's teacher.
  10. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LOL

Thx for the update Ric
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    did I miss anything Mr. D? o_O
  12. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Ric I have to laugh a little when I see a Hub Arkush posting. That joker is a trip. BUT I am very excited to hear that he's reporting a fast pace camp. I like that style. Get these guys playing FAST!
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    I actually like Hub, and Zach Z don't sugar coat anything. Some might think they're to rough, but I'd rather they be harsh then soft on the team.

imo I think Hub is pretty fair. The last few years he's been stating the team would only go as far as the OL would take them, and has been proven right.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    Bears Training-Camp Notebook: July 29
    While the offense got off to a hot start, the defensive backs made big plays in the second padded practice.
    By KEVIN FISHBAIN - kfishbain@shawmedia.com - Monday, July 29, 2013 4:33 p.m. CDT
    BOURBONNAIS — The injuries were obviously the main story during Monday's practice, but there were still some noteworthy plays on the field on both sides of the ball. Here are some highlights from the team's second padded practice before a day off on Tuesday.
    Hot Start: Jay Cutler’s first pass of the three opening practices have gone like this: interception, interception, incomplete pass. On Monday, he opened with a screen pass to Matt Forte for big yards. On the next play, Cutler found wide receiver Joe Anderson, who made a touchdown grab in between corners Tim Jennings and Major Wright. “As far as the practice went today, the offense really jumpstarted. We had a competitive two-minute period to start it. We had two explosive plays and scored on the second play,” Trestman said.
    Anderson Taking Advantage: During minicamp, Joe Anderson got plenty of attention, as he got extra snaps because of injuries to Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery. He has had a solid training camp thus far, and stepped up with Marshall taking the day off. "He's had a good camp. He's shown strong hands," said Trestman. "He's shown the ability to get open in tight coverage and he's coming out every day to compete and he brings added value because he's a good special teams player, as well."
    Broken Up: The offense may have had the early upper hand, but the defensive backs scored several pass break ups throughout practice, led by none other than Charles Tillman, who forced three incomplete passes by getting his hands on the ball. Tillman is one of, if not the best in the league at making a play on the ball and he put on a clinic on Monday. Chris Conte and Major Wright each had diving passes defensed and Isaiah Frey also broke up a pass. Frey has had a nice camp, though we'll need to see more from him in game play, as his work is coming against the backups. Kelvin Hayden got a big roar from the crowd when he ripped the ball out of Matt Forte’s hands.
    Dump-Offs in Style: We know the running backs figure to be big parts of the passing game, which should play right into Forte's skill set. On Monday, several offensive plays resulted in a swing pass to a running back. Whether it was a check-down or by-design, the quarterbacks are using that outlet to gain yards.

http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/07/29/bears-training-camp-notebook-july-29/a788vrt/

I've been high on Joe Anderson, good to see he's still impressing. Wilson has had a good camp from what I've read also, but I heard he's still to weak in the upper body to really make an impact during games this year. So It sounds like the team has some solid depth at WR this year and in the near future.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +987 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I'm assuming Washington will make the team as the 4th DE now that McBride is done.
    Who's gonna be the 4th DT?
  16. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    didnt they sign that ex falcons first rounder I believe anderson?
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +987 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I think so. Is he gonna make the team or another hopeless bust past his time? Minter have a chance?
  18. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Im sure Paea, Melton, Collins are guaranteed locks other then that any of those bodies have a chance
  19. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +997 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    How did Scott do in replacing Bushrod? I'm not a very big fan of his. Wish they hadn't pulled Carimi so fast. I keep reading good things about him. I wonder if Long is going to be able to get better enough to crack the starting lineup. I'd like to see him get time, but not at the expense of allowing us to break protection. He may just have to sit it out for a year. Glad to read Paea finally doing well. And you say Shea is actually making an impression?! The hell you say!

I really would love to know what we have in Blanchard. I hope we have a real backup in him soon.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,441 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    BiH, the right side of the line was not impressive, and it from what little I heard Scott didn't help when it came to taking snaps at LT. But I'm kinda waiting to hear how it goes today.

Long has looked really good in 1x1 drills looking like a man amoungst boys, but has looked very weak in 7x7 and 11x11 as those boys get right buy him. He's got a lot of raw work to do, and it sounds(at least to me) that their plans are for...probably next year...the LG to be Brown(who is taking all 1st team snaps from the start of practices at RG) but then moves to LG w/the 2nd teams when Long gets reps w/the first team at RG. Meanwhile when Brown is in at RG w/the starters Long is playing RG w/the 2nd and 3rd team.

(long confusing ramble shortend)Seems Long is going to be the RG and Brown the LG in the future.