Too Soon To Judge Bears Defense?.......................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 20, 2014.

1. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +713 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    428ß
    Who is impressed by Mel this year or last? It sounds like many here are saying the same thing but in a thousand ways. Yes, he sucked donkey balls last year will it change? One thing is for sure we have to live with him this year whether we like it or not. So my hope is it was the injuries last year so this is his chance to right the wrongs we all agree if not "he gone."
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    NO, NO, NO!!!...anyone here who brings up last year against Tucker is F'ing insane!!!

We're all fans and know for damn sure the amount of injuries, key injuries, and a guy having to adapt a system that isn't his wrecked last year...If you even throw that on Tucker then you don't know JACK!

I wasn't about to defend Tucker in my last post but COME ON MAN!!!
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    I would agree improvement is needed and the young guys need to grow. The real question is how good does it need to be. Yes we invested in Houston who is young but other than that, Allen is old for football as is DJ, Briggs, Tillman, and now Adrian Wilson. During the draft I believe general consensus was with the group we had we would need a couple 2 or 3 years to get this built back up. Phil did a nice job in FA but it came with a lot of age and quite frankly, players who have probably seen their best years, both from within and outside signings. I expect to see improvement and am hoping for a top 15 defense. All the money is on the offensive side of the ball now where in years past it was on the Defensive side. When it comes down to it, what we think will have no bearing on Tuckers lifeline with the Bears. I am all for change if he sucks, but not sure what the expectation is to say he did not suck. If he can put a top 15 defense out there I would hope they keep him and would continue to grow and not change the scheme again, we saw that on offense for many years and stability in the staff I believe is critical to the overall success. If we end the season in the bottom 5 then yes, Tucker probably needs to look for a new occupation that does not include the NFL providing we stay reasonably healthy. Lets say we end up the 18 ranked defense and the end of the year they all have no fuel left in the tank, is that Tuckers fault. The old guys wear down and its well documented the rookies hit a wall in the middle of the season.

Just a few closing thoughts

We are an offensive minded team now and the salary cap will show that, the offense is intended to outscore the other team. Look at Denver last year... If they got 2 defensive stops they won, do we expect that from our offense (why not)

We have lots of new members on Defense, will take a few games to gel

We have lots of age on that side of the ball, did not even mention Ratliff earlier in the over the hill gang

Can not wait for the real season and put this to rest, Tucker had a decent defense once at Jacksonville while he called the plays and ended up in the top 5. Prior to Del Rio made the defensive calls and was typically in the middle of the pack.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    Can someone find this alleged pre-season ranking?

As for the Jags game, penalties called because they were a point of emphasis kept a lot of the jags first team drives going.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,049 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    In fairness, I don't think fans worry so much about our D competing with Seattle as much as they worry about being a cellar defense again this year. I don't think you condemn Tucker, but you don't "crown him" yet either. Until he proves something here in Chicago the jury is still out on him. I think that's valid.
    :18 1 205:

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,276 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    That right there is at the heart of the matter. I agree with you wholeheartedly. In essence, everyone has their own expectations. One person may find anothers unreasonable, but yet that person even though is unreasonable still is looking for the team to meet their expectations.

While some may find my expectations unreasonable, or I may find another posters position unreasonable, it may raise an eyebrow with me, but I certainly have no right to say that person is wrong. It all comes comes down to meeting ones own expectations.

This is a great board. There have been a few that seem to feel a need to convert people to their viewpoint, but in general, people on this board are very accommodating of others perspectives.

As I say, speaking just for myself, at some point I will either be happy with what Tucker is doing or I am going to say enough is enough and call bullshit. It certainly won't bother me if no one agrees, and I certainly am not going to try to get people to change their opinions if they don;t agree.

Each person has their own expectations as you say, and I don't see anything wrong with that as long as people don't call each other stupid or attack each other. I really don't see very much of that on this board. It's all about respecting each other and this has proven to be one of the best boards I have seen in that regard, so let's all hope Tucker is the coach we would all like him to be and let's Bear Down!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +247 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    208ß
    I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.....In both accounts who cares?
    We are fans. Sometimes we are disappointed in our favorite teams performance, coaches and/or players. Most of us do not claim to be coaches or insiders, but we still have opinions. If all the posts were positive, this would be a boring message board. Even if there is a negative comment, it doesn't mean the poster wants the Bears to fail.
    About the article, yeah plenty more excuses. I am hoping we build on the positives this Friday and put on a solid defensive performance. I really don't want to see any injuries.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    Not in the least happy with our D so far but i will wait to week 3ish before calling for Tuckers head again. Hell I am not even a Tucker supporter but at this point we have no other choice. It is the preseason, we look like crap, but I am not to positive that our older vets give it 100% in the preseason. Hell Urlacher hated the preseason. I like our line and some of the depth. I even like our first 4 CBs. Our young LBs need to improve even more and fast. Conte hate him or not might be the only real FS on our team. If the old LBs hold up we can be a middle of the pack defense but we do have the players to be better than that, I just don't think Tuckers the guy to put it together.
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +713 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    428ß
    IF the Bears D was ranked 18th last year they would've kicked the shit out of the pac in that last game. With an even better O expected this year I'll take 18 ranked on D, I really want low teens but I'm not greedy. At this point I think we should have more concerns with ST of all aspects in preseason that may be the closes to what the truth really holds as to what they maybe.
  10. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +454 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    This seems like a see what you want to see ranking rather than one based on any numbers:

NFL.com has them ranked as follows:
    Total Defense (YPG) 23/32
    Pass Defense (YPG) 29/32
    Rush Defense (YPG) 5/32

Profootballfocus has them ranked:
    Overall Defense: 17/32 (-3.2 grade) (FYI #16 is the Seattle Seahawks with a grade of -2.9).
    Run Defense: 8/32 (+11.3)
    Pass Rush: 32/32
    Pass Conversions: 2/32 (+3.4)
    Penalties: 31/32 (-8.0)

FYI: Profootball Focus grades The Bears Special Teams play at a -12, dead last (32/32)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,276 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    17th is respecatable. Lower than we are used to and lower than our level of talent dictates, but that last statement is subjective. I think we can do ok with a top O and 17th rated D. I think it should be higher after Emery's efforts, but that's just my opinion

To my eyes though, the team looked more like the nfl.com rating of about mid 20's or so. That is why I am not thrilled with what I have seen. Not sure what others on the board think. I know it's all about expectations so I'm sure opinions will be all over the map.
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I understand where you're coming from but many of those problems are repeating themselves but with an entirely different group of players. That's what my concerns are based on because it means the root of the problem isn't player personnel, it's coaching or schemes.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I took that 30th D ranking directly from the article and I realize I should have verified it so my apologies. You're correct. It's far more middle of the road and the run defense has improved. (how could it not?) So once again we have a media guy doing a little crap stirring and I should have rechecked his claim. It's not often I do that but I dropped the ball here.

At least the STeams stuff is correct and it's embarrassing.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    That's what I'm afraid of too shorty because they've already begun to rehearse them. For me a defense that isn't ranked above the middle of the pack just isn't acceptable period! Not with the influx of vet and rookie talent we've seen over the past two offseasons.

This is not any former OC trying to make Sunday chicken dinners out of wings and thighs this is our current DC whose been supplied with plenty of "white meat" chicken breasts and he's got the big pieces too. Look at the sheer number of top 100 NFL players he's fielding.

Tillman
    Jennings
    Briggs
    Allen
    Houston
    Young
    Ratliff

That's current or former Pro Bowlers and All Pros at 7 out of 11 starting positions and I'm not including Adrian Wilson because we don't know his status yet. Almost 2/3 of his starting defense are top shelf vets and the other four all have previous NFL starting experience. Not a rookie among them.

If he can't turn this bunch into at least a top 15 defense something is wrong. They should be top ten so I actually am giving him some leeway.

And I don't even want to get started on DeCamillis and STeams. They're pathetic so stop whining and just fix it.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,276 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    Sounds like our expectations are quite similar. With the guys we have, I do not see any reason that once we are in sync that we should should be any lower than 12 or 13. My REAL expectations are better than 8th, but I also am giving some leeway, although I still have not figured why leeway should even be given.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,620 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß

that's an absurd expectation when you're LB's are average and your S's are WEAK. I'm looking at 13-18. The DL should be able to protect to some extent, but they cannot hide those 2 units and teams are going to attack them. The CB's should be fine, I'm not worried about them; until they hand their guys off to the S's....then it's over.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    Bahahahaha! Touché! Very good...but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. Like I said...have an opinion all you want, as long as you keep it as that.
  19. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    I don't think it felt like last year at all. Last year teams were running all over us. That game drives were being kept alive because of tricky tack penalties. It was frustrating but I don't think it will be called like this during the season. The jags had 3 runs I think of over 10 yards.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    I just realized that came off differently than I wanted it to. What I mean is opinions are fine, we all have them here, but express them as such, not as if they are fact.

Had the statement went "I think the starters should have been named by now" I probably wouldn't have had as big a reaction I did if any at all. Again, as you all say...it's a message board and we all won't agree.