Too Soon To Judge Bears Defense?.......................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 20, 2014.

1. RochBear

RochBear Veteran

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    118ß
    Thanks for that site, cite. I've always like Barnwell who is nicely quantitative.

I, also, do not understand the "ranking." After 2 preseason games we know very very little and even after a full season most ranking schemes are poor IMO (e.g., Total Yards).

I also agree with the sentiment of those that say we won't know until the first real game. I'd make a technical amendment that we actually won't know until the last game. The Bears defense in 2013 looked its usual quality self for the first three games.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    In your eyes, sure. But it's still my expectation. 13-18 might be closer to the reality, but it does not have to be my expectation. We have a LOT of talent. S does not appear to be as weak as I thought it would be. The LBs do not look bad as long as the vets stay in. The new guys have to step it up and over the next 2 preseason games, I hope they will.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    I think the S's have only looked slightly better then last year. There is a lot of talent on the DL and at CB, 7 out of 11 players; and depth looks just as thin as ever. If you are going to have sky high expectations then shoot higher then 8th, go full bore 1st baby!
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    LOL, I don't know that they are sky high. Admittedly aggressive, but you look at the talent we have, we are sitting pretty good. There really are only a handful of teams that have talent across the board. Pretty much everyone has some weaknesses. I thought S was going to blow chunks and honestly, it seems to be decent. LBs... I am still concerned about but we are still in preseason and hopefully they will get better. We have two good ones, and a few others that have potential. I'm not sure that is different than what most others have.

Then you take the talent we have at CB and DL and compare that to the rest of the league, we are not middle of the pack in talent... just performance. But that's just my opinion. You can argue that I'm way out in left field... hell, others might even say I'm low, but the bottom line is that it's hard to defend any position because it's all opinion how we stack up and then it's opinion on what that should translate to in terms of performance. I'm not going to argue with you in terms of my being too high. I can't really defend it. All I can do is give you the reasons why I believe it to be in the ballpark.
  5. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +332 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    422ß
    After watching the 31 they gave up ( in the 1st half ) to Seattle tonight - I'd say no . They are s l o w . Slow to react and slow to close on the ball .

Well .... looks like the O better be puttin up 31pts a game for us to have any chance . They suck ( again ) .
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  6. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I didn't like the Tucker hiring last year, and he has done nothing to change my mind. Same thing for the special teams coach. Can't return and can't stop returns. Pathetic actually.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    Same here. The second, literally, I found out we got Mel Tucker I knew what was going to happen.

Fast forward to now, he's done nothing to change my reaction.

Yeah it's still preseason, but does anyone really buy the fact that they will "turn it on" during the season?

A lot of the top teams are pumping out production (looked pretty decent). Wish I could say the same for the Bears. We are pretty good at making excuses (pretty sure we're leading the league).
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +694 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    Didn't we go 0-4 in the pre-season in 2010 with Oakland putting 32 up on us?
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    "It's just preseason" to me just means I'll wait to have a heart attack until the regular season when it counts.

Plenty of time for that...
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I'll probably post this same thing in several different threads. Whereas Lovie had a pet escape phrase when he was being nailed by the press I'm now finding Trestman has developed his own. That phrase is "It's fixable".

When it comes to the offense I actually believe him. If we stop shooting ourselves in the foot with stupid totally avoidable penalties and he once again impresses on Cutler the need to stop making poor reads we'll be OK on offense.

On defense it's an entirely different story. Mel Tucker and his schemes are the problem not the players. Based on his prior track record I'd say he's just not a very good DC and the only way this defense gets "fixed" is to fire him and they should be prepared to do it soon or another season will be a waste.

We couldn't get off the field on third and fourth down last year and history is repeating itself. Players are hesitant and not playing aggressively or at full speed. That tells me that once again they're confused about their assignments.

A lot of people here were making excuses for Tucker and his ways saying it was just preseason and they weren't scheming. Well last night to a degree they did and what happened? They couldn't get off the field on third down again.

When a player whose been around as long as Lance Briggs begs off with the media following the game saying they need to look at the tapes to see what needs fixing he's as much as telling us he has no fucking idea what's going on or why. That's not a good sign coming from the guy whose supposedly the leader on the field.

If there was anything that they needed to do last night in the way of a very simple scheme it was to keep Wilson in the pocket and not be fooled by those read options and naked boots and they failed miserably. They play slow and they play back on their heels not downhill.

This is a bunch of players who either can't understand or can't run the defense Tucker is trying to scheme and teach. If they did know it there would have been improvement by now but there hasn't been. So far Tucker has been nothing more that a failure and I really don't see that changing. They should have let him go in January.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,319 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    I can't disagree with much of anything Soul said above. Last season, many of us were suspicious of Tucker (and DeCam to a lesser extent) when traditionally strong units quickly went to shit. I do think in all fairness that there were some major player factors to blame--Peppers loafing, lots of injuries, rookies pressed into service unexpectedly, etc.

This year the D received some significant reinforcements and rookies became sophomores, so yesterday was a major letdown especially for a preseason game billed as a "dress rehearsal". I think the most concerning thing you can say as far as Tucker goes is that the defense is underperforming its talent level. If that continues un-corrected into the regular season, Tucker needs to go.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +694 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    The media and people here billed it as a dress rehearsal, Trestman beforehand basically said it was another practice game, and they weren't going to lose sight of that fact.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Not much else left to blame it on is there MP?

I don't make real predictions but I'm not above stating a hunch and mine is that if Tucker remains as DC we won't finish above 8-8 this year either. The smartest thing Trestman and Emery can do is to have a contingency plan for taking him out by the mid point. Right now I'll say we'll be fortunate to be 4-4 then and I still don't think we'll have seen any major improvements in the D.

Like Carthage posted in another thread. As a DC Tucker is in over his head. He may be a good play caller but that's were it stops. He can't develop or teach a scheme and he never could. Tucker is to being a DC what Dave Wannstadt was to being a HC. Wanny never had a clue what was wrong and how to fix it either. Tucker needs to go.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,319 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    The 1s played against the 1s for 2+ quarters. It's a dress rehearsal whether or not you call it that.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +694 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    The 1's may have played longer...but that doesn't change the fact it's a meaningless game.
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +694 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    You've been to practice and meetings and watched him teach his scheme?
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    In terms of counting towards the W-L total for the season, or in terms of being able to monitor the level of play and the ability of the team to read opposing teams (especially teams playing vanilla), stop offenses and score points? Personally, I think those are two different answers.
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +694 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    They are. However the second answer has a lot of factors that go into it, especially in the pre-season.

Like I said previously, in 08 Detroit went undefeated in pre-season, handily defeating their opponents. During the season they went 0-16 and gave up less than 20 points once, and less than 30 points 5 times. It's pre season...it's meaningless in the long run!
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    We'll see. They would have to play like a different team, and nothing so far shows me that they will. I have more faith in Trestman and we have the same guys, so I'm still hoping the offense will shape up. Tucker has not shown me anything, and gotten a shot in the arm of talent and is still showing me nothing. I suppose it could change, but I think that is hope more than anything that I see on the field. I don;t show any indications that it would improve. Maybe the next game will show that, but how long do we say that? That mentality is exactly why we kept Lovie so long
  20. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +361 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    337ß
    If the Bears are 4/4 after their first 8 games, they will have a decent chance of making the playoffs with at least 9 wins as the front half of their schedule is easier than the back half. If the Bears were going to let Tucker go, they needed to
    If they let him go midway through a successful season, they will be muddling the coaching pool and ruining their credibility with the fan base and any potential DC hire. If the contingency coach comes in and the Bears go 4 and 12 or 6 and 10 the roar of dissent against the new DC and the front office starts to swell and instead of just looking to fire Tucker, Bear's fans start to call for Emery and Trestman's head. That's a sure way to show incompetence on the management staff.

This is a tired, pointless exercise in argumentation at this point. The sides have been staked. Some have brought out the noose and torches in August. Others want to ensure Tucker gets his chance to show improvement. One side has all the evidence they need. The other side needs the regular season to get here before joining the mob.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1