Too Soon To Judge Bears Defense?.......................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Speaking of tongue-in-cheek, I haven't seen Little Bears avatar for a while...

2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,258 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,047ß
    :rofl2:
    Withdrawals ???

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,077ß
    All I'm saying is a good coach can turn it around. Tucker didn't.

Trestman took our offense from Lovie to the TOP in one year.

Tucker got WORSE!

Funny thing, this isn't just one person saying it, so obviously it's something everyone is noticing.

Do any of the people want him fired? Hell, no. We ALL want him to bring back the Monsters of the Midway.

However, he hasn't shown anyone anything, which is cause for concern.

Hence the analyzing his defense under a microscope.

Not one is questioning Trestman or Emery. Why?? Because they earned our respect and have delivered a positive change.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    I am in complete agreement with you. He showed no tendancy to be able to develop player, to work around injuries, make adjustments, create pressure, even have all the players on the field be on the same page.

He is the DC and I'll be behind him until it keeps sucking and I don;t see it getting better. Hopefully, that day will not come. But I've said it before and everyone has their own opinion on this. If it still sucks this year no one is going to convince me it is not Tucker. Fool me once with glib talk, it's on you. Fool me twice and it's on me.
    For me, he's had his chance. I'm not interested in this years excuses. Not his scheme, was last years mantra. I don;t see much difference in shceme this year. I don't even care about scheme any more. I want to see an effective defense. We are STACKED with talent, and we can;t get pressure on the QB again? As I say, It's preseason and I am giving an opportunity to gel, but from what I can see so far, I just see more of the same.

I am more than willing to eat crow. I am not the kind of guy that needs to be right. It is not about that for me. I want to be wrong and will readily admit I was if he puts out a defense commensurate with the talent he is in charge of. I am being patient, but if it does not get better, I am done with him. I don't care if everyone is on his ass or everyone else is behind him. I just need to be ok with my feelings about him. I don't follow the pack. Right now I don;t like what I see but am giving him the benefit of the coubt a while longer.

Mel, make me wrong big guy....

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +726 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    466ß
    If I recall last year they told Tucker not to change anything and even he Tucker adapted to all the verbiage and game plan. I am by far not a Tucker fan but fair is fair to say he made the D worse is not even close to fair. Phil is giving him the players he needs to succeed it's now Mel's time to show he's a dc and hc potential or he flops. But to say it was all his fault last year is unfair especially when that D was getting worse at the end of 2012 season no one saw it because the O was so bad.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,258 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,047ß
    I hear you Ski but if you analyzed the offense last game they scored a TD, but have gone 3 and out I believe in each of the first 3 games. Blown ST play put the defense back on the field. The first team offense has exited after scoring but trailing in the Jags game and not looking overpowering in the run game and in general getting in one set where they scored. Yet thats ok and the defense is the problem. If you want to strictly judge by preseason then they both have been less than stellar, but we believe it Trestman and want Tuckers Arse.

I am not saying Tucker is the answer because I have questions like everyone else, he has to prove it yet. Trestman proved it last year even though we were 8-8, and no playoffs. Yet we believe offense is fixed. I like Cutler but he is no Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Those guys put the team on there back and win with whoever they have on the team, If Trestman is such a QB guru why do we not have a QB capable as Rodgers. The offense made positive strides and all is good, I like Trestman and the offense by the way so do not blast me on that. As I stated before, we need to give the defense time and a chance to see what they can do, and we will not know that until they game plan, run the full scheme of the defense, put in players for the given situation and scheme, and watch game film to recognize the opponents traits. None of that will happen until week 1 and should only improve during the season. If it does not, then will be the time to call for his Arse, not now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,077ß

Well, I have an opinion on that as well. A good coach can coach a scheme. Whether it's his or someone elses. Yeah it's tough, but if they didn't want him to touch it, obviously something happened. Can't he adjust to the scheme? We expect players to adjust to the scheme.

I think he's the man in charge of the D, so he gets the blame.

One thing that makes me think it IS him? I'm sorry people don't agree with me, but it certainly looked like players just quit playing. It just looks obvious to me.

Then this off season there were countless articles about players "buying into " his system.

They certainly weren't talking about Trestmans system because they performed.

So while I want to give him a pass last year, I think it's relevant until he shows us something else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,077ß
    I agree. It's preseason.

Here are the issues I think we have (why we don't see hope):

- There are still too many positions without a named starter (why?)
    - The defense is ranked 30? in preseason. Yeah it's preseason, but it just has the same taste as last year. Last place is last place no matter when it happens. (close to last)
    - The defense just seems like it could play with more excitement (look at the Jags defense every play). They will do better this year you can see it. We were flat IMO.
    - We didn't scheme, but I think our coverage's were not right. Let's be honest, for the first quarter it was our first D vs their first O. They moved the ball pretty good. After all, it was the Jags. Lets not pretend they are an offensive power.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm trying to block them. lol

I like his energy level. I like his mean look. However, something isn't carrying over to the players or field.

I hope I'm wrong. So far, a lot of fans and media sees it as well.

Either way, lets hope we pull this shit together!

Hell, let's not lose focus on the offense. We didn't exactly look like a monster on the O side every game, every quarter. We started slow last year in games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    Boy, we really are in lock-step on this one. A good coach should be able to coach (somewhat effectively) any scheme. And it's not as if he didn;t have players that already excelled in that scheme. You took the words right out of my mouth in that regardless of all this, he owns it.

Another thing too. It has never been proven that Tucker was MADE to use Lovies scheme. I actually thought it was a good idea and a point in his favor to use the scheme that his top 5 defense was used to running so as to keep it effective. I do not know if he decided it, it was dictated to him, or he was in agreement with it. Honestly though, at this point in time I don't care. I've really given him a clean slate. He just needs to get it done. I've seen his last press conference. I like the guy. I hope he succeeds, but more an more I am getting the impression that he can really talk the talk but has no idea how to walk the walk.

Right now I am behind him. All I have said so far is that I am not impressed by what I have seen so far, the D looks like it has managed to underperform again in comparison to talent on the team, he has chosen the same scheme as last year (but that may not be true because in preseason he may want to show that), and I am not going to believe anything but what I see on the field.

So while I am not impressed, I am still behind him and hoping he can field an above average and for my money, what should be a somewhat dominat defense. Our CBs are some of the best, the line now has quite a bit of talent, the LBs and safeties are our weak points, but with Briggs and Williams at LB, I can't say we are weak there -- not dominant like we were, but we should not be weak.

I keep getting sucked into talking about Mel and the D, and it's my fault for continuing to do it, but right now, honestly I don't have anything to say other than I think it needs to get closer to the talent that is on the field for me to be happy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  10. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +180 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    244ß
    I'm not sure what some of you expect LoL

Is it too early to judge?...of course it is.

The preseason is going just fine. The positions up for grabs on D probably "are" that tough to determine the starters at the moment. Coaches may know what a pro-bowler looks like and "can" confirm starting positions but I find it more of Tucker having to deal with what he's been given...and to be honest i think he has a mix of players who struggle in different aspects which can make it harder to decide...

Is this Tuckers fault? Maybe...No one really knows who is pulling the trigger or influencing on draft day...but don't tell me Trestman and Kromer weren't handed one hell of an offensive roster LoL

IMO this is just the beginning...if the current LB and DB young guys don't come through it will be chaos for a couple years at least.

I feel they have the D-line under some kind of temporary control but the two other phases of LB and DB are only going to get worse if recently drafted guys don't pan out....

• Like Like x 1