Too Soon To Judge Bears Defense?.......................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 20, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    450ß
    I'm not sure what exactly you expect to see. He can't do anything about point of emphasis penalties, which if not for would have ended a few drives against Jacksonville. The pass rush has looked better, the tackling overall to me has been better. We played one of the best offensive teams in the league in Philly and the defending Super Bowl champs...that's pretty good competition there.

I thought we kept Lovie because he restored our defense, took us to our first Super Bowl in 20 years since our last one, and the players loved him?
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,123ß
    Rewatching the game tonight I just love the improved DL play. We do have talent and depth now.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß
    For as long as I have been a football fan, I have attributed a team with too many penalties to coaching. Nothing has changed my mind about that.

Probably so. The right reason would have been because he consistently fielded a team that was in the post season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,297 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    349ß
    The W-L outcome is meaningless but how players/units perform is not.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,297 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    349ß
    Couldn't agree more. I think it's fair to say that last night's defensive performance (hot garbage) wasn't encouraging or evidence for optimism. At some point you have you to prove it and put up or shut up. That point isn't far off.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,123ß
    +1000
    There are no meaningless games or even a meaningless practice. Hell, every snap of the ball, every play is important. I get kind of angry when I read this "meaningless" stuff. Champions play like champions every heartbeat. Look at guys like Brandon Marshall who have a sky-high passion for the game. Think HE thought last night was meaningless? Last night's game had meaning. Maybe the win/loss didn't, but the every game, and every practice has meaning.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

I completely and utterly disagree with you. Paul Pasqualoni is more than capable of stepping in as an interim DC and probably good enough to become DC permanently. If the truth be known I believe that's one of the reasons he was hired. If he's not the contingency plan he should be. If Tucker is failing as badly as he did last year firing him would lend credibility to Trestman not detract from it. When you've made a mistake admit it, fix it, and move on.

So far the only defensive group playing to their potential (even the second and third tier guys) is the DLine and whose coaching them? If the same defense shows up this year and Tucker continues to be retained you won't find me watching a Bears game or bothering to comment here because there'll be nothing to say I haven't already said.

If I'm wrong and Tucker turns it around then I'll be more than happy to eat crow for Thanksgiving and watch a playoff bound team beat up on Detroit. But I hope you'll excuse me if I go ahead and order my turkey anyway and don't save my appetite for a roast crow dinner I'm not expecting to eat.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß
    I resemble that remark...
  9. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    you play like you practice....
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    450ß

I'd agree....if the league didn't just decide to start calling everything. This is new territory.
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    450ß
    And how have they performed? Take the score out of the equation. If you can look at what they did without looking at the score it may show a different answer. From a coaching standpoint did players execute the way they were supposed to? We DONT REALLY KNOW THAT because we DON'T KNOW THE PLAYCALLS.

When I coached we used to play in a lot of 7 on 7's. I always taught my linebackers to never come up on short crossers...maintain depth until the ball was thrown, because in a real game our d-line would be there and those passes wouldn't be completed. So we would give up a ton of these bs short passes, but it never bothered me because I knew how a real game would go. Did we lose some 7 on 7's because of it? Yep, and if I was just focused on the score I would be doing my players a disservice, because when we played real games we more technically sound.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,246 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,406ß
    except that Sutton and Ego and Shea and Bostic were in by the 2nd drive, so the starters on D weren't out there for 2+ qtrs, they were barely out there for 2+ drives.
  13. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +678 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    386ß
    Never thought of this idea this has me interested. I think you're right Trestman could do this, but I think he will wait until the year is out unless the situation is so bad he has no choice.
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß
    From watching the defense play (assuming the past play is an indicator of subsequent play), I do not think the defense will be the disaster we had last year -- and it shouldn't be... we have added enough talent to ensure it is better.

My concern is all the talk I hear about a decent defense being good enough. I feel that if the defense underplays our talent and plays decent, it will be enough to be ok. Emery did not bust his ass to turn over every stone to get people like Jared Allen in here to assemble an ok defense.

We should expect play commensurate with talent, and we should want play that is above our talent. That is what good coaches make happen. Just because we may have issues with our coaches is no reason to lower our standards or what we should accept. I want a top defense. Emery is trying to put together a top defense and anything less is just making excuses.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,246 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,406ß
    But he only overturned the every stone looking for DL, and left the S's and LB's to rot in the sun. You do not get a great D by leaving huge areas of the D w/little to no talent. When he fixed the O, it wasn't just w/OL talent, he fixed it w/OL and WR and TE talent, and brought in depth to boot. He hasn't done that w/the D yet, w/the D he only fixed the DL and brought in 1 CB and 1 S(Fuller/Vareen) b/c he believed Shea and Bostic would be good enough, but they haven't been. And I don't think that's on the coaches, I think that's on the talent level they have. Mundy/McCray/Conte/Vareen etc aren't a good core of S's, only 1 of them has any upside and he's a rookie. Fuller/Jennings should be a solid duo, but Tillman is showing his age.

I guess I never bought into this D being a 1yr project, technically the O wasn't either, it took Emery 2 years to really tackle the O problem. I'm guessing the D will take another offseason also.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß
    Not buying it Ric. Really, I'm viewing that as an excuse to provide cover for Tucker.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,246 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,406ß
    not buying what? The LB's aren't good or the S's aren't good? Or do you think the Tucker Scheme states I need all my LB's and S's to NOT cover anyone?
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,297 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    349ß
    I'm no fan of Tucker as you know (I'm skeptical at the very least) but in all fairness I think its unrealistic to expect a top-tier defense this year no matter who the DC is. I'd be happy with middle-of-the-road for 2014. Plenty of teams have made deep runs and even won SBs with "decent" defenses and powerful Os.

The DL you mentioned has looked good IMO (ironic after last year, huh?) And even the much maligned safety corps hasn't been all that bad. It's the LBs who look like Moe, Larry, and Curly out there. We are getting scorched over the middle and beaten by TEs a lot. And yes I'm disappointed so far in the coaching staff as far as player development and unit performance goes there.
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,297 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    349ß
    No excuse for Bostic still looking clueless, Ric. Is the guy just an uncoachable dunce or is the staff not getting it done? Cuz you cant say Bostic is slow or old.
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    450ß
    Maybe he's not as good as you think he is.
    • Like Like x 1