Top 25 Free Agents/Best Fits...................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 4, 2014.

1. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I could see Emery bringing in Bennett to hold down the fort for a few years while he rebuilds through the draft as there is a LOT of work to do. I just can't see the older players as they may not last as long. Gives Emery more options as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    Part of the problem is there are no options at DE that aren't surrounded by a few questions marks. Not in FA and not in the draft. But they have to draw the line and make some decisions somewhere. Maybe he gets Jared Allen on a sweetheart deal and at least he plays RDE and can pass rush. He's two years younger than Pep and he'll be a whole lot cheaper. Lord knows he gave us fits for years so maybe we're due for some payback. I've always liked the guys attitude and motor.

The thing is Phil keeps saying that he wants the team to get younger yet the average age of his signings so far is 30 and he's ignoring his own 26 and 27 year old FAs. So how do believe what the guy says? It's just like him saying we're gonna play a 4-3 defense but adjust it to the player we have. Right. What fuckin' players. He has a two man DLine, no MLB, he needs at least one if not two Safeties and he has one starting CB.

What the plan Stan? This is almost as ridiculous as last season was.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Soul, geez man I thought I was impatient! Easy, brother. The offseason is barely a month old and FA hasn't even started yet. There are plenty of roster moves and re-signs yet to come. We don't need to know or see "the plan" yet in the first week of March. Let's all just chill-ax a bit.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    You're right we need to be patient. And I do believe things will be better this season unless Emery is totally inept with bringing in D talent. And there's no reason to believe he can't get the job done. Part of the reason I'm antsy to see things turned around is that last season was so butt-ugly to watch on defense. I'm a bit hyper-sensitive watching for some positives here. Emery does have a difficult problem to fix. I think we'll all feel better when we see a few initial moves that relieves some of the anxiety we have worrying about the defense. And truth be told, I'm still pretty angry how we let a division championship slip away last season due to defensive woes. Maybe that's the thing that I can't quite shake right now. I am still angry how the season tanked.
  5. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    Maybe Emery is coming with a new D with a 2 man bulldozer duo and 7 LB's 1 each db,fs......
    What a stone cold killer
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    I've been critical of Emery before (Shea/Hardin especially)and I'm sure I will be again eventually.

But seriously.....WTF do you guys expect him to do right now??? What???
    Tell the press exactly what he's thinking and planning? Re-sign every Bears player currently un-signed at overvalued prices? Kidnap Jairus Byrd and Michael Bennett chained in his basement?

FA hasn't even started yet. We all know all this stuff (inside FA, Peppers situation, outside FA, even the draft) is all intertwined. Every move affects other potential moves. If he signs Bennett, for example, he can cut Peppers. And then easily has the money to retain guys like Wootton and Williams. And maybe Peanut too. And can prob let Melton walk knowing he's drafting DT in round 1. Which means he could probably afford a FA S like Whitner. In other words....we just don't know yet until the ball gets rolling.

R E L A X
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +515 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    335ß
    I just want to bring back the 46 Defense. :23_13_7v[1]:
  8. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    CB Brandon Browner reinstated will be a free agent
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    IF Phil had shown me by now that he even had a clue about what he was doing with that defense I'd be the guy sitting back with a tall cold one saying "chill" but he hasn't. Most of what he's done with that defense was turn a little aging mud into quicksand. We're talking about a GM I have an extreme amount of mistrust with and I'm not about to chill until he shows me something that makes sense other than just re-signing Jennings.

This is the guy who came to a team with a rep for great defenses and lousy offenses and all he's done so far is tip those scales in the opposite direction. He fired a HC who schemed and coached some of the best defenses in the NFL for nearly a decade, couldn't retain his DC, then went out and hired a guy who couldn't even scheme it or coach it well enough to keep it from sinking from #5 to #31. Sorry MP but that's not much of a confidence builder right there but wait, there's more.

His personnel moves on that side of the ball have been an unmitigated disaster all the way from FA acquisitions to his drafts and he left the defense without the depth and leadership needed to survive some key injuries and still at least remain average. So along with Tuckers putrid coaching Phil shares in that total devastation and he still hasn't shown us a damn thing this offseason. When he does I'll think about "chilling" but not until.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    Call it the "27" defense and we rush 9 men? LOL
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    See, there we go with the false assumption again. Why is it that some of you insist on implying things that we don't even know exist?

Who says his players are overvaluing themselves? Right now I hear you saying that MP but no one at Halas Hall. You cannot tell me that Emery and Cliff Stein don't have any idea of the value of these guys to this team and about what they're willing to pay. They get paid to know that just like you or I would if that was our job. I get paid to know what investment opportunities are worth ahead of time so I don't overpay for them. If I let the market continue to dictate that I can miss some opportunities or end up overpaying anyway. The stock market is not that efficient and neither is NFL free agency. Teams over pay constantly.

You don't really buy into all that GMbullspeak do you. He and Stein know what they can spend and make it work. Stein's a bloody genius at cap management and contract structure. They knew exactly what they thought Brian Urlacher was worth a year ago when they made him their best and final offer and I don't think they've failed to make some decisions about this years bunch either. He has 20 unsigned FAs right now and a good share of them are core defensive players and STeams reserves. Is he gonna let them all test FA and if they get offers above what he'd like to pay let them go and sign even more 30 year old one year wonders to fill the gaps? Just how does that serve the purpose of getting younger on defense?

No I don't expect him to "tell" anyone anything. All he's done about that defense since seasons end is "talk" about it and give us the bad news that Tucker is staying. Other than that he's gone about business as usual with his prize offense. What I want is for him to fucking DO something. I need to see some corrective action taking place just like he would with a coach or a player he's the boss of. He chided Melton for his scrape down in Texas and for maybe not taking his rehab serious but has he even come close to signing the guy or any one of at least a half dozen or more key defensive FAs? Maybe Melton wasn't the only one taking a rehabilitation task seriously enough. After all he only has a knee to worry about. Emery has an entire 11 man defense that needs a rehab.
  12. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'd like to see if we can get both Bennett and Ward (Pipe Dream but what the heck). Then draft the best DT in the 1st round and the best CB in the 2nd round. It could happen but most likely not.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    I guess pretty much like the draft the Bears have the FA "Big Board" where they have these guys ranked both overall and by positions of need. Emery has never failed to do after a couple of top FAs to fill immediate holes and when he couldn't do it that way he traded for who he needed either in FA or the draft and that's how we got both Marshall and Jeffery.

So based on past history we can probably assume he'll be after one or two this year as well we just don't know who. But if we look at the needs and eliminate our own guys the list isn't all that overwhelming. There are two 1st tier DEs and two 2nd tier DEs he could consider, two 1st tier Safeties and one 2nd tier Safety. The FA pickins are slim for a 3 tech DT and the best prospect is our own FA so either we sign him of that need get's filled in the draft.

We need a MLB and they say they'd like to have DWill back and other than him I don't know who else they'd see as a fit and I have to admit I really don't know much about the FA CBs because I figured that was a position they'd draft for because of the need for youth and many of the better FA CBs are in their late 20s. But I can't really claim to have enough familiarity with them to have an opinion.

So from this it wouldn't be too hard to create a Bears FA "Big Board".
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +385 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    The problem is it takes two to tango. So Emery and Stein may very well know the players market value, and may very well have offered what they think are fair deals, but that doesn't mean the player has to sign that deal. Perhaps the player wants to see what they are worth on the market.
  15. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    yes yes yes!!!!
  16. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    How about Whitner instead of Ward? We could use some leadership in that secondary
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +385 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    Ward can bring some boom boom too from the secondary.
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +385 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Of course.
    And personally I tend not to take anything seriously that comes out of the GMs mouth. It's basically his job this time of the year to be vague, cryptic, and even mis-directional. So, when Phil says something like: "player X is an important part of our team", that means to me anything from we are actively trying to sign him to we don't really care all that much whether he stays or goes.