Top rated DB's (CB and S)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 19, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    He, McGill, Aikens and Jean-Baptiste are all guys to be looking at in rounds 2-4. If I'm reading Emery correctly he'll have several options at each spot in at least the first three rounds as he tries to fill the holes he has. Who and what position get's taken where depends on how the picks in front of him fall.

There are good picks all over the place in at least the first three and some will fall into four as teams pass over good players to fill needs. This draft may lack some of the elite and the QBs are iffy but there's a lot of depth in "core" type players who can come in and eventually start for a team.
  3. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Deep, deep unrealistic dream ... I hope all this hype for big CBs drops Verrett right into our laps in the second. Not that I don't want to pursue one of these big CBs, I just think that highly of Jason.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Cornerback Pierre Desir on Bears' radar
    April, 18, 2014
    Apr 18
    2:49
    PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

The Chicago Bears' search to find a tall cornerback to eventually replace veteran Charles Tillman led the team’s Director of College Scouting Marty Barrett to attend the private Pro Day last month of Lindenwood’s Pierre Desir, according to a source present at the workout.

[​IMG]In his latest mock draft, ESPN NFL Draft Analyst Mel Kiper Jr. projects the 6-foot-1, 198 pound Desir will be selected in the second round by the Philadelphia Eagles with the 54th overall pick. The Bears currently own the 51st overall selection.

A relative unknown after spending two years at Washburn, followed by the two seasons at Lindenwood, Desir finished his college career with 25 total interceptions and 52 pass breakups en route to being named a Division II All-American three times.

Desir participated in the East-West Shrine game, Senior Bowl, and was invited to the NFL combine in February.

With Tillman back on a one-year deal, the Bears are believed to be leaning towards drafting a cornerback with a larger frame in the event Tillman leaves the organization after 2014. Since the club already has money and years locked up in undersized 5-foot-8 cornerback
    Tim Jennings, the Bears need to find a young cornerback big enough to one day matchup with the taller wide receivers in the NFC North, especially Detroit’s Calvin Johnson.

In addition to Barrett and the Bears, four other NFL teams were present at Desir’s Pro Day on March 20.
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    Second rd seems high for him from what I have read. Yesterday I grabbed 5 draft site big boards to see where players average out to here is a look at CB. Not showing top 4 on top, I will post them below

upload_2014-4-20_11-1-38.png

upload_2014-4-20_11-3-4.png
  6. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I watched Desir and Jean-Baptiste on the Senior Bowl. Both played really well and showed solid coverage skills. Personally, I hope Desir is available in the 3rd round. My impressions were his movement on the field was very smooth and fluid. He seemed to change directions easily without much loss of speed. Physical enough to do press coverage (not great at it but would have to learn).

Not an instant starter type. But could contributed some immediately and end up as a starter in a year or so. Just my untrained eyes and personal biases ... as always YMMV.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    It's Mel Kiper's idea that he's a 2nd round pick. I have a hard time believing any team will take the risk of drafting a Div. II CB that high when there are still others on the board who rate as high or higher. But then again you know all about Uncle Phil's surprise picks and my guess is the 2nd round is where we may see one.

One factor that may boost some of these guy higher is their size. The NFL is a copy cat league and Seattle employs two very big DBs at CB and Safety so it's not a stretch to see others following suit and as a result a guy who only rates a 4th round pick according to some chart like that goes one or two rounds higher. Long was rated a 2nd round pick last year yet we take him in one.

But..........we both know that it there's a run on CBs and the bigger, taller guy come into play all of these guys who go 6' and taller may move up higher because of it as teams jump in to take one before someone else does. Sometimes you can throw those charts out the window once the draft begins and if there's two posts it's likely to happen it's probably bigger CBs and bigger Safeties because of the "Seattle factor".
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Expecting college CBs to come in and play really well at Safety is a leap. Conte was just beginning to "get it" later in his second year. I'm looking for a Safety like Mike Brown whose sharp enough and intuitive enough to run the back end of that defense that way Brown did.

I care far less about his size than I do his smarts and abilities as a player. Hardin would have been a 6'3" 220lb physical freak of a Safety but even taking his injuries out of the equation he just wasn't getting it. If he had been they wouldn't have let him go.
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    Do you realize Watkins only moved to CB his final year, prior to he was a S and still often lined up at S his final year
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    I have to believe Watkins and Joyner as Safeties are in Emerys mind and may very well enable / sway him into going DT in the first rd. If he strictly looks at Pryor, Dix, Ward, Buchannon, I think he may be more inclined to go S first, with Joyner and Watkins I suspect DT looks more viable in rd 1.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    No, didn't really research him because he's never been associated with the Bears has he? I don't think he's frontline guy at either S or CB. More the backup and STeams type now that I have looked at some of the poop on him. Doesn't seem to have a Safeties build but what do I know? I just haven't heard any news about the Bears looking at him.
  13. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Mentioned Watkins before, I'm a very big fan. He is criminally underrated by draft sites and I wouldn't be surprised to see him off the board by our second rounder.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Hmmmm, guess I need to look around more maybe see some vids of the kid because he seems at little small for a Safety. Joyner look like a little Bob Sanders type but Watkins more like that kid we got from GB.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Interesting. Seems a little small for Safety but if we haven't taken a CB prior the 3rd round he's a guy who seems like he might me a good choice there. If nothing else he can supply some depth and versatility. Sounds like he can play any position the ask him to.

Jaylen Watkins (CB), Florida
    5'11" | 194 lbs.
    2013 stats:
    52 tackles, 7 passes defended, 2 TFL
    Projection:
    3rd Round

What scouts are saying:
    "Watkins possesses a lean, athletic build more suited to cornerback. He's a willing hitter, however, with good vision and closing ability, making it likely that he'll be able to successfully handle the transition to safety. The willingness to change positions during his senior season is a good indication of Watkins' selflessness and maturity. (Rob Lang, CBSSports.com)

"Watkins is a sleeper prospect who has a good athletic skill set - it runs in his family - and could be a mid-round steal. He showed that at the Senior Bowl when he had a very strong week playing man-to-man in the one-on-ones." (Walter Football)

"Nice size for a cornerback. Good fluidity and movement skills. Alert in zones. Flashes some playmaking ability. Versatile -- lines up as a corner, safety and nickel defender and plays on all special teams. A fluid, loose-hipped, versatile cover man who projects to a No. 3 or No. 4 corner in the pros, Watkins could most ideally fit in the slot, with enough physicality to defend the run and fine short-area cover skills to match up with shifty receivers." (Nolan Nawrocki, NFL.com)

Fit for the Bears:
    Charles Tillman is back in the fold on a one-year deal, while Tim Jennings, Kelvin Hayden and Isaiah Frey round out the rest of the core. That doesn't mean the Bears won't look to get younger and faster at the position, two things which Watkins would bring. He's an absolute speedster, and played both cornerback and safety during his time in Gainesville. His size (5-foot-11) means he'll likely play cornerback in the NFL, but the Bears could do worse than an SEC defensive back on Day 2 of the draft.
  16. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    He looks pretty good. Not a tall CB but tall enough. Can play safety as well as corner. Solid combine numbers. I was particularly impressed by the 22 reps on the bench press, not bad for someone 6'0" and 195. And probably a 3rd round pick.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    His size and lean build bothers me somewhat but I guess he and Ward go about the same weight and I don't know if either of them could play much heavier than they are now. At least he adds another mid round option in the event we find a CB or LB we like more in two than a S.

We've restocked that line well enough and taken care of LB with two vets returning that I don't believe run defense will be a problem this year. I like the idea of Safeties who cover better and are intuitive enough to get some picks to shut down drives. That was at least as big a weakness last year as their missed tackles. They should never have had to make that many anyway.