Top rated DB's (CB and S)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 19, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I have to believe Watkins and Joyner as Safeties are in Emerys mind and may very well enable / sway him into going DT in the first rd. If he strictly looks at Pryor, Dix, Ward, Buchannon, I think he may be more inclined to go S first, with Joyner and Watkins I suspect DT looks more viable in rd 1.

2. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,207ß
    No, didn't really research him because he's never been associated with the Bears has he? I don't think he's frontline guy at either S or CB. More the backup and STeams type now that I have looked at some of the poop on him. Doesn't seem to have a Safeties build but what do I know? I just haven't heard any news about the Bears looking at him.

3. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    Mentioned Watkins before, I'm a very big fan. He is criminally underrated by draft sites and I wouldn't be surprised to see him off the board by our second rounder.

4. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,207ß
    Hmmmm, guess I need to look around more maybe see some vids of the kid because he seems at little small for a Safety. Joyner look like a little Bob Sanders type but Watkins more like that kid we got from GB.

5. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,207ß
    Interesting. Seems a little small for Safety but if we haven't taken a CB prior the 3rd round he's a guy who seems like he might me a good choice there. If nothing else he can supply some depth and versatility. Sounds like he can play any position the ask him to.

Jaylen Watkins (CB), Florida
    5'11" | 194 lbs.
    2013 stats:
    52 tackles, 7 passes defended, 2 TFL
    Projection:
    3rd Round

What scouts are saying:
    "Watkins possesses a lean, athletic build more suited to cornerback. He's a willing hitter, however, with good vision and closing ability, making it likely that he'll be able to successfully handle the transition to safety. The willingness to change positions during his senior season is a good indication of Watkins' selflessness and maturity. (Rob Lang, CBSSports.com)

"Watkins is a sleeper prospect who has a good athletic skill set - it runs in his family - and could be a mid-round steal. He showed that at the Senior Bowl when he had a very strong week playing man-to-man in the one-on-ones." (Walter Football)

"Nice size for a cornerback. Good fluidity and movement skills. Alert in zones. Flashes some playmaking ability. Versatile -- lines up as a corner, safety and nickel defender and plays on all special teams. A fluid, loose-hipped, versatile cover man who projects to a No. 3 or No. 4 corner in the pros, Watkins could most ideally fit in the slot, with enough physicality to defend the run and fine short-area cover skills to match up with shifty receivers." (Nolan Nawrocki, NFL.com)

Fit for the Bears:
    Charles Tillman is back in the fold on a one-year deal, while Tim Jennings, Kelvin Hayden and Isaiah Frey round out the rest of the core. That doesn't mean the Bears won't look to get younger and faster at the position, two things which Watkins would bring. He's an absolute speedster, and played both cornerback and safety during his time in Gainesville. His size (5-foot-11) means he'll likely play cornerback in the NFL, but the Bears could do worse than an SEC defensive back on Day 2 of the draft.

6. dachuckster

dachuckster Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,161ß
    He looks pretty good. Not a tall CB but tall enough. Can play safety as well as corner. Solid combine numbers. I was particularly impressed by the 22 reps on the bench press, not bad for someone 6'0" and 195. And probably a 3rd round pick.

7. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,207ß
    His size and lean build bothers me somewhat but I guess he and Ward go about the same weight and I don't know if either of them could play much heavier than they are now. At least he adds another mid round option in the event we find a CB or LB we like more in two than a S.

We've restocked that line well enough and taken care of LB with two vets returning that I don't believe run defense will be a problem this year. I like the idea of Safeties who cover better and are intuitive enough to get some picks to shut down drives. That was at least as big a weakness last year as their missed tackles. They should never have had to make that many anyway.