Trade Down Scenario

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß

Not enough value to justify that trade down. Jernigan may very well be gone at 30. Here is the only trade down scenario I would not be pissed about

From Chi: pick 14--110pts
    From Sf: picks 30,56,61--1252pts

or

From Chi: pick 14--1100pts
    From SF: picks 30,61,77,100--1217pts

They don't want to give up a bit of value despite having too many picks to sign? Then:blowme:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    475ß
    I don't know that either Jernigan or Quarles would last that long. It may be one or the other at #30. They rate pretty near the same. Jernigan has dropped a little and Quarles has risen. I said that if they were satisfied with Quarles and willing to give up their own first three picks I'd look at the deal as a serious possibility. But they'd have to make it more than worth our while and the only way they do that if they want a corner there is if Dennard or Fuller or Gilbert are still on the board and two of the three or even all three maybe gone. A trade with Detoilet virtually assures it so they may look their first and they may not ask as much.

It's all conjecture but basically I don't see Phil willing to trade down unless he gets enough picks for it and SF's picks are premium pick in any one of those rounds. Ours are. If we do the deal they can have back one of 6th rounders to sweeten the pot. LOL
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    475ß
    Careful Grizz. This is San Francisco were talking about. SOMEBODY there might take you up on that and it may by a shemale. :rofl2:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    That does seem to be the way Emery operates. If he wants someone, he gets him by as aggressive a move as is reasonable. Thank God he traded away that later pick to move up for Alshon. And he's definitely a ninja in FA.

I hate all this "trade down" talk. Feels so passive. When's the last time we had a top-15 pick? Been at least 4 or 5 years, right? Here's an idea....let's use it to get a top-15 player.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    475ß
    I've been down with that from the beginning. We've seemed to have always been in situations in the past where we ended up having to take some risks on the 3rd or 4th or 5th best OL, or pass rusher, or QB and never ever had a shot at a top dog WR. So here we are sitting as pretty as we've been in years and we have a shot at a DT who could end up becoming what Tommie Harris was for us and he was also a #14 pick. If that's our guy then God dammit take him and don't screw around and lose him on a trade down. Harris helped put us in a Super Bowl. He was that big of a factor in that defense.

If the objective is to win now, and with all of these moves Uncle Phil is making I now see that he means it, then why would we make a pick other than one that gives us the best shot at doing that? Why pass up a potential impact player for a late 1st round pick who may not be and two other late 2nd and 3rd round picks who would likely be backups for now. Yeah, I get youth and depth but not the kind of experienced depth I need to win now. Teams that are bottom feeder and who need multiple players do that not teams who are just one of two players away from contending. That's the reason SF would give up all those picks. They don't need more depth they need one or two high impact guys and they can't get at them from where they sit as easily as they can by trading up. That how you win the big one. By being aggressive and going after the one or two guys you need. Not being passive and trading down for more 2nd tier players.

So that brings us back to that #14 pick. If now is where you're at why to you take a CB who will sit over a DT who won't. And who provides the higher value in a defense against both the run and the pass, a FS or a DT? I realize we have needs at all three spots but CB could be filled later if he's gonna sit and we do have Safeties with NFL starts under their belts. I'm not saying Mundy, Conte, and this Jennings kid are all that good, and I'm not saying we don't need to look for better, but do we need one as bad in round one as we need a 3 tech DT? That's what Phil has to decide because I have a feeling he will have to make that choice. Is there anything that assures us that a rookie Safety with no NFL experience will be any better than two guys who have been starting NFL FS for the last two years or a SS with 4 years NFL experience as a backup behind some Pro Bowl players. If Emery isn't an idiot and we're all thrilled with some of his other moves could he be that far wrong about these guys and their ability to play well enough to win?
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,422 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    Grizz the reason Emery hasn't traded back is b/c he cannot get equal value, and has stated that many times. NO team is going to give MORE points to move up, and ESPECIALLY not in a draft where depth is considered the value, not the top elite players. There have been multiple articles written how the Jimmy Johnson trade tool is no longer used in it's current format and you see this in current trade now, unless you're talking about a top 5 pick.
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß

Thats why I've said that I don't think theres a snowflakes chance in hell of this happening. I'm completely fine with staying at 14, only way we don't is if we get a too good to pass up deal. Doubt it will happen so I'm assuming were taking a pick at 14. Hopefully its Donald, but I have a feeling he may be snatched away right before we pick.
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +435 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    197ß
    Amazing how everything here is centered on Donald. Once again another big board and Donald is not the top DT. Guess with the trade down option off the table then Donald should be off it too. Oh yeah I forgot none of these people no shit just us Donald fans know, Seems all logic is getting thrown out here to get Donald. Well looks like Mosley should be the value pick at 14 which is a position of need and holds Value.

upload_2014-3-30_10-44-0.png
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,422 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    GREG IS WRONG WRONG WRONG, doesn't he know the Bears fans will tar and feather whoever is taken along w/Emery if Donald is not taken, he's the future pro bowl HoF'r that EVERY team needs.
    He should be the #1 pick in the draft for GODS SAKE HE'S the UBERST DT IN THE DRAFT!!!!!

Again there is no elite talent outside of the top 8 and that is coming from a GM, you know a guy actually that WILL be drafting this year; and that includes Donald, no one from 10-20 are MUST haves.
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +435 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    197ß
    Glad I got this board to set me straight. Could be dangerous out there in the real world where nobody knows shit.:4_17_208[1]:
  12. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß

Its about the right fit over the skillset when you get out of the elite players. Donald fits the bill for what we need to a tee. A true 3tech that can be explosive and disruptive. Now there are others, but he clearly grades the highest and has the highest chance at initial success. If we don't get Donald the sky wont fall, there are other options such as Jernigan, Quarles and others.
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I am not being a homer when I say that I really believe that it is going to be a while before we see another pick as high as #14. Phil is upgrading positions at a dizzying pace. When there is a weak area, it is weak for no more than a season. I think we will be competitive and our picks will be below the mid 20's. I think we can play with rounds 2-7 in terms of moving down, but I say we take this opportunity to take a real impact player at #14. God knows we need it.
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +435 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    197ß
    I agree Donald is best 3 tech. coming into nfl. This does not mean he will be the best in 2 yrs. Trading back allows you to get 2 players of equal value to Donald in this draft and believe it to be a viable option. If there was not other players of equal value I would be more inclined to agree.

Mosley/ Quarles or Jernigan/ Quarles or Dix / Quarles or Pryor / Quarles. vs Donald / Skov or Donald / (no nose tackle) / or Donald / Ed Reynolds.
    The option with Donald just not as exciting to me as the option with Quarles and an additional pick in rd 2 and 3 . For all we know the Bears may not even like Donald the most. Like Mayock said if Jernigan is on the board the Bears should be sprinting to the podium. So if we pass on Donald and take Jernigan and come back and take Quarles we get a NT and 3 tech. I am sure there will be some unhappy fans here then but could be the plan as much as taking Donald is. You could trade back add picks and do the same thing. JMHO
  15. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +247 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what any of us thinks about it. It is all up to Emery and what he and his staff have put together. I assume that we will have a significant upgrade at the 3 tech but as with Long we may be surprised.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    I get what your saying. I'm not totally keyed in to Donald as some people are. I'm just keyed into a good 3 tech and day one player. I've kept away from Jernigan because I'm admitedly biased towards wanting him since he played at FSU but he and quarles could be "the guy" for all we know. Who knows how HH has them rated. Just want a good, disruptive 3 tech, if that guy is Donald..awesome, if not then I'm good with it. Late risers in the draft sometimes scare me since it's usually based off the combine. The comforting thing about Donald is his rise was via senior bowl where he dominated the top OL prospects. Still though, game tape should be the tell all be all. I can't speak to that because the only Pitt game I watched was FSU-Pitt and that entire defensive unit got ran over.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,422 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    btw, I think 14-30 is a great place to be b/c while there is no elite stand out players, you also have very few, what will be considered busts. All these guys are solid players, you aren't going to NOT get a day 1 player at 14-30. Staying at 14 or dropping back is going to net you a guy that can play significant time day 1.

There are a TON of 3Tech guys in rounds 1-3 that are considered "explosive" and "disruptive" it's not Donald and no others, if that was the case he'd be a clear top 10, top ranked DT, which he isn't. That's not a knock on him. I'd be happy w/any of the DT's talked about Donald, Hagemen, Nix; I'd also be happy w/Ealy or Tuitt at DE, or Mosely at LB or Dennard/Gilbert at CB or Dix/Pryor at S. ANY of those guys are on the Bears in Sept and they are ALL going to play a lot and help the team day 1-yr 4.
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +435 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    197ß
    Not so sure about Tuitt, especially at DE unless for 34 hybrid or DT. He is not a 43 DE
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,422 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    I like Tuitt as a "versatile" guy Someone that can move up and down the line and be part of the "confusing" DL. I'm still not 100% sold that this is going to be a straight 4-3 D scheme, Allen and Young might be great fits for that, but a guy like Houston paired w/a guy like Tuitt, followed w/a bigger DT(300+lbs) would make for something more hybridish.

Versatility length athletesism, those are things that Emery has started talking about.
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,807 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    We won't have to trade down Ric. We can just trade Conte for 3 additional 1st round picks and draft 4 pro bowlers. I'd go DT, CB, S, S and all in the first round. Of course some here will want us to get 4 first rounders for Conte, but that's delusional. At best we'll get only 3 firsts, and a 2nd rounder. :-)
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1