Trainer: "Shea McClellin is a Different man Now"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 23, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

ßearz ßuckz:
    176ß
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,411ß
    I hope so. there is nothing worse than when a player loses his confidence, and I think his was definitely shaken. he needs to get some reinforcement of his abilities on the field or he will lose his confidence even faster this year.

I wish him the best. We need him to succeed, but honestly... I have to ask myself... with his build and his prior successes, why did he need to go outside of his professional training staff to be told that he had the speed and strength to move and get around people but not the strength to engage and move people?

That was obvious to almost everyone very quickly. Especially when they put him in at DE. Getting his functional strength up should have been one of the highest priorities. It sounds like it was a real surprise to McClellin. If so, that is a real fail on the coaches. I really can not wait to see him play. If he had had the right training regiment last year, he might have made more of an impact at DE also. He may not be a real DE, but having strengthened up would have helped him regardless.

3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,770ß
    I see a change too, from fat ass to skinny kid; neither are things I want on my NFL starting roster. :)

I keed I keeed. I hope they'll get some mucle back on him by the time pre season starts.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,770ß
    I said it in the other shea thread, I'm hoping he can add some muscle to his frame, looks like he might

5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,053ß
    Most professional and college strength coaches couldn't program their ways out of paper bags. You'd be surprised at the level of ignorance there is in the pro and college ranks. Those jobs are usually given to guys who have been with a coach, and they stay with them from stop to stop. It doesn't surprise me that Bears strength coaches couldn't help Shea.

• Like Like x 1
  6. butka

butka Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    My college strength coach (for most of my time in college) was an ex-player who had gone on to body building and modeling. I still see him on the cover of Muscle and Fitness or similar magazines every now and then. All of the trench players hated the programs he gave us. Lots of vanity lifts mixed in, not enough functional stuff. The receivers loved it... hahaha. He was hardly focused on us. He would be working out himself during lifting sessions. We ended up doing our own thing most of the time. Our best strength coach was the one we had when I was a freshman. He was really geeky and didn't look the part at all, but he was damn good. He moved on to be a strength coach at a Big Ten school. I think a lot of team level coaches base their training on what worked for them personally. Few take the time to analyze the individual and tune the program to the individual's needs, at least that's my experience and what I've heard from others..

• Like Like x 4
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,053ß
    Thats pretty much it on the head. There is almost zero individualization. You'd be amazed at some of the programming I see my college guys come home with. It's mind blowing. People think that because Team X wins, that team X's strength coach really knows what he's doing. What the truth is is that Team X's coaches are just either, in the case of college, very good at recruiting elite level athletes who can over come poor programming, or in the case of pro's signing and drafting players who can over come poor programming. When a team has a rash of soft tissue injuries...ya know who's fault that is? The strength coach! There are some pro teams that are really starting to get it though. Philadelphia is really doing some interesting things, and now that Arizona has hired Buddy Morris as strength coach I guarantee they'll have less soft tissue injuries and their performance, at least speed and strength wise will improve. We have a pro team's strength coach coming to visit us in July...and I'd bet my life savings that you guys would be shocked as to who it is. Like I said...some teams are just really good at signing and drafting elite talent that it doesn't matter how bad their strength coaches are.

• Like Like x 2
  8. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    Well Shea will have a chance this year to prove he belongs on the field at LB. I hope he has worked through the mental aspects of the game, and can put into his game the actions required to be successful. I wish him the best this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    294ß
    Thanks Butkus for the insight. That is what I love about these boards, u get all walks of life and experiences that help with my understanding of football that you can't get without really trying to find it. These forums really let me know how little I know about football lol, if anyone needs some useless info from a dead end career Canadian perspective......I'm ur idiot haha

10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,053ß
    Thanks Bob...this is the one area I have some insider info. You'd be surprised what you learn about these guys in a weight room.