Trainer: "Shea McClellin is a Different man Now"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 23, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +250 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,297ß
    I hope so. there is nothing worse than when a player loses his confidence, and I think his was definitely shaken. he needs to get some reinforcement of his abilities on the field or he will lose his confidence even faster this year.

I wish him the best. We need him to succeed, but honestly... I have to ask myself... with his build and his prior successes, why did he need to go outside of his professional training staff to be told that he had the speed and strength to move and get around people but not the strength to engage and move people?

That was obvious to almost everyone very quickly. Especially when they put him in at DE. Getting his functional strength up should have been one of the highest priorities. It sounds like it was a real surprise to McClellin. If so, that is a real fail on the coaches. I really can not wait to see him play. If he had had the right training regiment last year, he might have made more of an impact at DE also. He may not be a real DE, but having strengthened up would have helped him regardless.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    I see a change too, from fat ass to skinny kid; neither are things I want on my NFL starting roster. :)

I keed I keeed. I hope they'll get some mucle back on him by the time pre season starts.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    I said it in the other shea thread, I'm hoping he can add some muscle to his frame, looks like he might
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +755 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    Most professional and college strength coaches couldn't program their ways out of paper bags. You'd be surprised at the level of ignorance there is in the pro and college ranks. Those jobs are usually given to guys who have been with a coach, and they stay with them from stop to stop. It doesn't surprise me that Bears strength coaches couldn't help Shea.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    My college strength coach (for most of my time in college) was an ex-player who had gone on to body building and modeling. I still see him on the cover of Muscle and Fitness or similar magazines every now and then. All of the trench players hated the programs he gave us. Lots of vanity lifts mixed in, not enough functional stuff. The receivers loved it... hahaha. He was hardly focused on us. He would be working out himself during lifting sessions. We ended up doing our own thing most of the time. Our best strength coach was the one we had when I was a freshman. He was really geeky and didn't look the part at all, but he was damn good. He moved on to be a strength coach at a Big Ten school. I think a lot of team level coaches base their training on what worked for them personally. Few take the time to analyze the individual and tune the program to the individual's needs, at least that's my experience and what I've heard from others..
    • Like Like x 4
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +755 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    Thats pretty much it on the head. There is almost zero individualization. You'd be amazed at some of the programming I see my college guys come home with. It's mind blowing. People think that because Team X wins, that team X's strength coach really knows what he's doing. What the truth is is that Team X's coaches are just either, in the case of college, very good at recruiting elite level athletes who can over come poor programming, or in the case of pro's signing and drafting players who can over come poor programming. When a team has a rash of soft tissue injuries...ya know who's fault that is? The strength coach! There are some pro teams that are really starting to get it though. Philadelphia is really doing some interesting things, and now that Arizona has hired Buddy Morris as strength coach I guarantee they'll have less soft tissue injuries and their performance, at least speed and strength wise will improve. We have a pro team's strength coach coming to visit us in July...and I'd bet my life savings that you guys would be shocked as to who it is. Like I said...some teams are just really good at signing and drafting elite talent that it doesn't matter how bad their strength coaches are.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    Well Shea will have a chance this year to prove he belongs on the field at LB. I hope he has worked through the mental aspects of the game, and can put into his game the actions required to be successful. I wish him the best this year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    Thanks Butkus for the insight. That is what I love about these boards, u get all walks of life and experiences that help with my understanding of football that you can't get without really trying to find it. These forums really let me know how little I know about football lol, if anyone needs some useless info from a dead end career Canadian perspective......I'm ur idiot haha
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +755 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    Thanks Bob...this is the one area I have some insider info. You'd be surprised what you learn about these guys in a weight room.
  11. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    This is a humble kid that came from a super small rural town in a rural state. Boise has a great football program, but it's also a relatively small school (20,000) in a small city (200,000). There isn't a damn thing wrong with any of that, but does anyone really doubt that he had some major culture shock coming to one of the largest markets in the country and having the weight of a 1st round pick coming into a franchise like the Chicago Bears. Throw all that in along with being put in a position that he should have never been in (DE).

I'm gonna buy into the hype that this kid may have turned the corner physically and mentally and I call him as my projected Break-Out star of 2014.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +486 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    I'm really hoping for the same. I will go out on a limb and say I expect marginal improvement and a serviceable starter for now. Maybe wishful thinking but he is playing the position he should have been from day one. If he is able to take anything from his time at DE and use it he has the tools to be a player for us.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +755 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    Also, what I will say is that a pro players mental well being is more important that anything. Shea could have been shredded at 265 benching 450 and running 4.4's, but if he was mentally defeated it wouldn't matter. Thats one of the biggest things I make sure of with my guys, that their mental state is where it needs to be. I don't let any doubt come into their mind.
  14. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    Ya gotta respect his mental toughness to like stated above to be placed waaay outta his comfort zone and the guy still gets up and asks what next....I think we have a modern day Captain America story here....we can bend em but he won't break....
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yep, posted this one last night around 10:00 pm. Here's the copied text.

This article got into a little more detail about the type of workouts Shea has been going through and the results. One of the more impressive things is how his 40 time had improved. He's running a 4.5 now which more than 1/10th of a second faster than he ran at the Combine and .25 seconds faster than he was running it at the beginning of this training. A 4.5 40 is some serious speed for a LB.

His attitude about getting better and gaining trust is exactly what you'd want to hear. He's motivate to perform at the level that we expected of him when he was drafted. He's also building more functional strength t0 handle getting off blocks better. All good signs because we need him to ascend as a player. It'll be interesting to see what spot he eventually lands at.

Trainer: McClellin is 'a different man now'

The Bears' Shea McClellin works to reshape his body for the move to linebacker.

By Rich Campbell, Tribune reporter
    8:50 a.m. CDT, April 22, 2014

Optimism abounded Tuesday as the Bears began their 2014 campaign with a 7:30 a.m. meeting to start their voluntary offseason program.

As the team takes the first steps in its attempt to improve on last season’s 8-8 record, no player exemplifies a new beginning more than Shea McClellin.

The Bears’ 2012 first-round pick recently spent about three months with trainer Scot Prohaska in California. Late last week, Prohaska published eye-catching pictures of a shirtless McClellin taken before and after their work together.

Not only is McClellin leaner, stronger and faster in preparation for his switch from defensive end to strong-side linebacker, but Prohaska also witnessed in McClellin mental and emotional growth that could prove as valuable as any physical improvement.

“When I see a transformation in a kid’s soul or his heart, that is something,” Prohaska said. “He is a different man now.”
    McClellin, with the help of his agents, sought to train this offseason under Prohaska, knowing he must succeed in his first season at linebacker in order to get his sputtering career untracked. Prohaska, who didn’t know McClellin before this year, could sense McClellin’s confidence was wounded after two pedestrian seasons, something evident to many around him.

“The thing about Shea that is really interesting — what’s really important to him is validation from the veteran players,” Prohaska said. “He wants them to be able to trust him, and he said he was always questioning that in the back of his head.”

Prohaska saw how results of their training instilled in McClellin some confidence that could propel him.
    "That transformation, that guy growing up in front of my eyes in 12 weeks from coming in a little unconfident, knowing he can play but just doesn’t know what’s stopping him — now this kid goes, 'I know what to do. I know what my body needs so I can go take care of my job, so people can trust me.'"

McClellin moved to Southern California with his wife this winter for the training program. He was 263 pounds with 18 percent body fat when he started. He finished at 252 pounds and 10 percent body fat, Prohaska said. McClellin’s 40-yard dash time quickened from 4.74 to 4.5 seconds.

“He was a bit frustrated because he didn’t know why he was underperforming so much,” said Prohaska, whose client list includes athletes in all four major sports and Olympians. “He knew it wasn’t just the D-end position, and so I tested him on some things and found that Shea has a certain type of strength. It’s called explosive, elastic strength.

“If he has to get around a guy or kind of jump around a guy, he’s really explosive that way. But he’s lacking in another type of strength, which is an absolute strength, where you lock onto a guy and can move him or then get away.”

"That really put a light bulb over his head. He goes, 'I agree. I feel springy when I’m in space, when I have distance on a guy. But if I lock on, I feel like I can’t move him.' Once we identified that, he really got excited and worked his butt off on it."

Prohaska and McClellin designed a program to help McClellin build that absolute strength. “He needed to get under the barbell and grip it and start lifting some heavy weight and learn about that type of strength, as well," Prohaska said.

Strength training, however, was only part of the regimen. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays began with 90 minutes of some type of running — training to help McClellin’s skills in space, which will be tested at linebacker.

Prohaska dissected complex movements, such as changing direction, and had McClellin repeatedly perform them in segments before linking them together. He practiced dropping his hips and worked on taking proper angles in pursuit.

McClellin rested for four to six hours after the morning running sessions, Prohaska said. He returned after that hiatus for strength training. The program on Mondays and Tuesdays were designed to build muscle. On Thursdays and Fridays, McClellin did the explosive training at which he has long excelled.

Prohaska’s program included three organic meals per day cooked for McClellin by a personal chef. He was on his own for one or two other meals. Prohaska designed that freedom for McClellin so that McClellin would learn how to dine out within the nutritional confines of the program.

“His post workout meal was 60 grams of protein, 200 grams of carbs,” Prohaska said. “He knows that’s exactly 18 pieces of sushi. He knows that’s three pieces of Domino’s pizza and a protein shake. He knows that’s half of an angel food cake from Ralphs grocery store and a protein shake.”

No one can be sure how McClellin’s physical transformation and mental evolution will impact his play. Prohaska, though, believes in the growth he fostered and witnessed.

"I think you’re going to see a guy that consistently makes plays when he’s in there to a point where you say, ‘Wow, he’s there. He’s making plays, doing his job and showing a few flashes of spectacular,'" Prohaska said. "Most of all you’re going to see a real consistent guy that does his job. You’re going to really enjoy the way he plays the game now because he’s going to play it with confidence."

rcampbell@tribune.com
  16. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    There are several guys that will make me happy besides Donald, but I'm not buying into the whole size concern.

Aaron Donald finished up his college career career by winning The Nagurski Trophy, The Outland trophy, the Bednarik award, the Rotary Lombardi Award and was named ACC Defensive player of the Year. There are only TWO Defensive linemen in the history of such awards that have been even close to such accolades, and those guys were Julius Peppers and Warren Sapp. Ironically, Sapp had similar concerns about his size.

Now, I'm not saying this kid is going to be the next Warren Sapp or the next Julius Peppers, but who else in the draft do you think comes closer? I really like the idea of Clinton-Dix or Pryor in the first, but man, if a potential super star is there, how do you not take him
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I agree with you Grizz that they made a big mistake expecting him to play LDE in a standard 4-3 on gap front. He didn't play that way in college and he couldn't handle it in the pros. Now that he's added speed, muscle strength and is playing at a good weight with muscle subbing for baby fat I think we'll see a new ball player even though it may take him some time to adapt.

What strikes me as being as important as anything else is his desire to be respected by the vets. Urlacher had some good things to say about him as a rookie and then he lost him last year as part of his support system. Confidence drops when he's getting beaten up so badly and all of a sudden he's no longer the same guy we drafted.

It sounds like that's turning around at least as far as his physical and mental state of mind. This whole article is full of nothing but good news about his transformation but he still needs to go out and prove himself. Hopefully they'll finally play him in a way that benefits his real talents.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    That's pretty much been my point all along. His Combine measurables, his college productivity and his work Sr. Bowl week all point to the guy as being a very special player. I believe whoever drafts will get that benefit if they use him correctly.

I get a kick out this Finley cat who keeps pushing Pryor. Geez, if you're gonna push somebody then push Dix and hope he falls (and of course he won't). I get a kick out of his pumping Sutton who is far less in just about every way than Donald as a 2nd round pick.

If we passed on Donald in one and took Pryor instead, then drafted Sutton in two those would be two pretty poor picks in my estimation. I'd expect that out of JA but I think Emery is smarter than that. If tradition tells us anything the Bears will not pass on a pass rusher for a Safety.
  19. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    GODAMNIT!!! This is the second time I've created a post in a different thread that it was intended. Thats what I get for jumping back and forth between threads.

Sorry guys...4DaBERS is a freakin IDIOT!:4 2 204v[1]:
  20. Warlock

Warlock Veteran

Ratings:
    +168 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    You don't generally get to be a shredded 265, benching 450 and running a 4.4, if you don't have a special mentality to begin with. The physical part is easy, it's the mental part that is hard... being dedicated and strong of will, showing up everyday and pushing your limits every activity.

Personally, I think Shea has always had the right on field mentality, but his off field mentality lacked. I.E. he has great self-motivation on the field, but lacks the self-motivation off the field. Hopefully this experience has taught him how important it is to hone his body/mind in the off-season, when no one is babysitting, rather than being on cruise-control.
    • Like Like x 2