Training camp Defensive End / Defensive Tackle / Nose Tackle news

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Aug 1, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    516ß
    News about Defensive lines.
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I'm not wholly unsympathetic to your idea jackie but within limits OK? So here's a contribution about our two rookie DLinemen.

Rookie DTs Will Sutton, Ego Ferguson earn boffo early reviews

BY ADAM L. JAHNS Staff Reporter July 31, 2014 8:57PM

Updated: July 31, 2014 9:15PM

BOURBONNAIS — All the fast-paced sparring with skills-development coach Joe Kim after practice leaves its marks — literally — on rookie defensive tackles Will Sutton and Ego Ferguson.

There are bruised forearms, fingers that sting and rough hands.

“We call him ‘Master,’ ” Sutton said during Bears training camp at Olivet Nazarene University. “He’s a black belt, so when it comes to hands [work], he gets excited. The hat goes backward, and it’s go time.”

All of it goes into helping Sutton and Ferguson master their crafts for the NFL’s cutthroat trenches. The duo is the future of the defensive line, but also its depth for the 2014 season. Their efforts in the line’s rotation are as critical as first-round pick Kyle Fuller’s development at cornerback.

“They brought us here because they felt like we could do something,” Sutton said.
    Their differences make them stronger.

Sutton, a third-round pick from Arizona State, is a flashy, two-time Pac-12 defensive player of the year who meets the athletic criteria for the three-technique tackle spot.

Ferguson, a second-rounder from LSU, has the makeup to be a block-eating nose tackle who overpowers through leverage and brute strength.

“My personal belief is that they’re going to play in this league for a long time,” defensive tackle Jeremiah Ratliff said. “You have a prototypical [one-technique tackle] and three right there.”

Ferguson and Sutton have made sure to fill their minds with every piece of advice that Ratliff, Jared Allen, Lamarr Houston, Stephen Paea and others provide.

“I probably ask Jay Ratliff a thousand questions a day,” Ferguson said.

There have been only six practices — four in pads — but Ferguson and Sutton have earned the attention of the offensive line.

Guard Matt Slauson said Ferguson shows up on film as “very aggressive.” But his frequent battles with Sutton have left an impression. “His mental side of the game I am very impressed with,” Slauson said. “The things that he picks up about what I do, now I have to change my whole game for him.

“A lot of times you go against a rookie and you’re like, ‘Ah, I can just take a normal set because I know he doesn’t know a lot.’ But that worked for a day. He’s changed everything, and now I’ve got to change. It’s awesome.”

The rookie duo doesn’t lack for personality. If you need a laugh, Ferguson is your guy.
    “He tells a lot of funny jokes,” Sutton said.

If you’re looking to dance, Sutton has the moves. “He brings that West Coast swagger,” Ferguson said. “He likes to dance, and he’s always saying, ‘For sure.’ Those are his favorite words.”

Sutton and Ferguson are nearly inseparable, sharing a bond that has blossomed since the NFL Scouring Combine. Their dorm rooms are next to each other’s, and each acts as an alarm clock for the other. They go over film and walk to meetings together. Sutton teaches Ferguson pass-rush moves, and Ferguson helps Sutton with his techniques against the run.

“We act like we’ve known each other for years,” Sutton said.

“It takes a lot of pressure off of you,” Ferguson said.

Defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni would be happy to hear they’re leaning on each other because, he said, “This is too hard to try to do all by yourself.”

But more trials await.

“We’re working into the second half of this thing,” coach Marc Trestman said. “Will they know their assignments? Where will the mental errors be? Will they have the energy to be able to continue to move forward?”

So far so good.

“Both of those new guys,” Slauson said, “with the complement of [Ratliff] and Stephen will be very, very good.”

Email: ajahns@suntimes.com
    Twitter: @adamjahns
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Sound like our to "newbies" are progressing up to the point of getting some respect from the vets.
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    516ß
    Soul,

No shit. Ifigured these guys would be lower level at best but the reports from

BEARBounnais are better then expected !

If these two guys can light up the likes of the Slauson and get his respect we

may be on a whole other realm here.

The best part is our rookies are jacking vets and getting vets attention.

The inside rotation at DT could be done with what many said were too lightweight.
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,885 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,188ß
    Good stuff. From something I read only a few days ago, I had thought they might not contribute too much this year. I'm glad to hear this. Hopefully, they will just keep getting better.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    How do you figure second and third round picks would be lower level guys? Sutton was a 2 time PAC DPOY. He's another Aaron Donald type who tore it up in college. He'll learn to adapt to the pro and so will Ego. These kids are good football players and they're getting some good coaching both on and off the field.

I don't know where this "lightweight" thing comes from either. They're pretty average size guys for a 4-3 line. Not big but definitely not that small. Ego goes 310-315lbs which is about right for a NT. Paea's a little small but the guy can bench press a house. Sutton is 290lb but with him it's all about quickness and leverage because he's just 6' tall. Ratliff is a 300lb DT and Collins is about the same.

They're big enough.
  7. Verreck`

Verreck` Newbie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Anyone worried about whats going on with Allen? I do not think hes participated in practice since Friday, and hes been absent from camp for a couple days as well. Hopefully everything is alright but i doubt it at this point.
  8. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +365 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    339ß
    Allen absent from Bears camp after birth of his second child
    [​IMG]

Why has Jared Allen been away from training camp this week?
    Jared Allen expected to return to team Friday after exit for family reasons.

BOURBONNAIS -- Chicago Bears defensive end Jared Allen hasn’t been back at training camp this week, missing the team’s practices Monday and Tuesday and likely to remain absent on Wednesday as well. But Allen has a legitimate reason for being away. He and his wife, Amy, welcomed their second daughter to the world earlier this week.

The Bears had been classifying Allen’s absence as excused for family reasons while giving no exact timetable for his return.

[​IMG]

Allen is now expected to be back with the team Friday for the exhibition opener at Soldier Field against the Eagles. It seems unlikely that Allen would play much if at all in that contest.

dwiederer@tribune.com
    Twitter @danwiederer
  9. Verreck`

Verreck` Newbie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Well alright then good news! Lol thank you B-ell-y-iot must have missed this somehow. Congratulations to Allen and his family!!
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    516ß
    A future DE for our BEARS! Welcome aboard Verreck!
  11. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    516ß
    Best Offseason, Team: Chicago Bears

Last season proved to be unbearable for the team from the Windy City.

A franchise known for its toughness thanks to a traditionally tough defense couldn’t stop much of anything in 2013.

However, thanks to free agency and the draft, the Chicago Bears look like they have fixed the leaks that eventually turned a 3-0 start into a mediocre 8-8 finish.

The club that finished 30th in the NFL in total defense, last in the league in stopping the run and allowed a whopping 478 points this past season (tied for the second most in the NFL) has done plenty to rectify the situation.

General manager Phil Emery added defensive ends Jared Allen, Lamarr Houston and Willie Young to help a pass rush that managed a mere 31 sacks a year ago—tied for the second fewest in the league.

Emery used four of his top five picks in May on this side of the ball, adding cornerback Kyle Fuller, defensive tackles Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton and safety Brock Vereen. The latter looks like the starter at free safety, at least until Chris Conte is healthy.

Offensively, the team is primed for a big season. All the pieces are in place for head coach Marc Trestman. The key is whether quarterback Jay Cutler can start all 16 games for the first time since 2009. A year ago, only the Denver Broncos scored more points than the Bears.

Over the past few days, there have been a few bumps in the road. Larry Mayer of ChicagoBears.com talks about promising second-year wide receiver Marquess Wilson, who will be sidelined indefinitely with a broken clavicle. Meanwhile, David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune recaps the latest on tight end Martellus Bennett and his altercation with Fuller at training camp.

Still, there have been plenty of positives for a club that looks to get back to the playoffs after a three-year absence
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I was real disappointed in Ego and Sutton last night. The run stopper kept getting blown up and the pass rusher didn't get any closer to an Eagles QB than I did and I'm a lot farther away. It's time to put Nate Collins back with the second unit where he belongs. Ego isn't ready to play a 2 tech NT yet and Sutton should only see the field as a pass rusher.
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    516ß
    I think this is were every post is going to after one game of pre season that the boys look rusty and lost on DEFENSE.

Thank GOD for pre season!
  14. B-ell-y-iot

Ratings:
    +365 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    339ß
    For a first pre-season game, I don't think they did poorly. They were both in the game early going up against the Eagle's #1 offense. Against the #1 offense they didn't look great, but as the second quarter started up and continued, I think their play improved quite a bit. Sutton got to Sanchez a couple of times and looked to get push and penetration about half the time. Sutton looks locked into his bull rush though and that was a problem against the Allen Barbre who locked onto him (and Ferguson for that matter) and just dominated them.

I think later in the second quarter when they were going up against reserves, they did a much better job of playing their assignments.

Overall, I was pleased with their work last night. They made mistakes and they got beat by talent, but they didn't get owned and as the game wore on they seemed to slowly and steadily improve.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Oh come on they got driven almost five yards off the LOS on those goal line plays. I expected them to play better against the backups but once the games count it's not backups they'll be up against. I just said I was disappointed not dejected. Hopefully they'll show some improvement over the next couple of games now that they're getting some real game action and some contact.

I think the bottom line here is that the rookie and second year guys need to step up a lot better than they did in that game. If it's any consolation I was even more disappointed in the LBs.
  16. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    I was really disappointed with Cornwash, he looked like someone just going through the motions....he didn't seem to have consistent push or desire to make plays
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. B-ell-y-iot

Ratings:
    +365 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    339ß
    True, but the goal line play was one of a bunch of sequences. I'm not saying they didn't struggle - they did and I was clear about that in the previous post

They improved throughout the game. For a rookie at any position there's an acclimation that needs to occur. It's one thing to go up against friendlies in practice where there isn't the violence and urgency of a game situation. I think the lines are two of the hardest positions for rookies to come in and look great right away because they are going at it EVERY play. A linebacker, or cornerback, or safety may or may not be forced into the action of the play, and even if they are there tends to be help quick. From the snap of the ball though the linemen aggressively attack one another on every play.

Ego and Will have to get used to the different level of strength, technique and competition that comes with the pro game. I think they showed strides in this regard. I've watched the game a couple of times now and Ego and Sutton seemed to grow throughout the course of the game. I was pleased with that. They got beat up early by the seasoned veterans.They got coached up a little. They played hard - if you had a recorded version of the game I'd tell you to go back and watch that mammoth of a man Ferguson chasing plays from behind - it was awkward and awesome to see at the same time - and they got better.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

He's history. If after making the roster and yet not even seeing the field in THAT defense you're now playing with the third unit in preseason of your second year then you've either regressed or you aren't progressing. He's got both Allen and Scott ahead of him at RDE and Bass and Young as swing DEs so he's not gonna make the team.

No more CornWash thank God! :7 2 202v[1]:
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Unfortunately I don't have a TIVO to record with so I'll take your word for it. I was just very disappointed to see them blown off the line so badly on those goal line plays but then again if it was a regular season game we wouldn't have used both of them for that. Still, they have a way to go before we can do anymore than spot them for a series or two to give a vet some rest. Sutton especially needs to learn to keep the OGs hands off of him and use his speed and moves to penetrate. He doesn't have enough size or strength to bull rush or two gap an OG on a running play. Ego does but he needs to get off at the snap faster and use his long arms to keep the OG from getting into his body. He was losing leverage battles a lot.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    516ß
    Lets just thank GOD that the NFL schedule put us up against Philly in pre season game one.

They are the premier team in the NFC EAST .... and we beat them.

And we played them bastards down to the wire.

What worrys all of us is that after that win we are going to slack off against the Jags coming up next.

In retooling with Conte & Stelz back the whole situation has changed.

As it will throughout the pre season.