Training camp Defensive End / Defensive Tackle / Nose Tackle news

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Aug 1, 2014.

1. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +286 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    True and very perceptive on both accounts. Neither player gets off the snap fast enough and both players, too frequently, let the linemen get their hands into their shoulder pads. Definitely an issue for both players that they will work to address.
    I expect both players to struggle, on and off, through the preseason. D-Line's a hard position (as we learned last year). I just want to see them continue to make improvements.

Getting away from the subject of Ego and Will, Trevor Scott looked beastly on Friday night. I haven't heard anything about this guy but he dominated like 80% of the time out there. He can hold the edge AND get pressure - which is something Jared Allen has struggled at in the past. Scott always seemed to be in the right place and played sound technical football on the left side which is a difficult assignment considering you're going up against the offenses best lineman. Additionally, he just seemed to have some brute strength.

My favorite play of Scott's was when the Eagles tried to get a chip on him by Sproles (LOL) in the third defensive series and he just blew the fucker up and gets all in Fales face - nearly had a tipped ball. Later in the same drive Scott is eating up the left tackle and getting tons of pressure on Fales which causes him to make a stupid throw which gets picked off. Scott didn't get nearly enough credit for that play. He looked dominate out there and I'm hoping he gets some more looks as a rotational player.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    I don't think we will slack for any team. That's not how we are coached. We can't because our third game is against Seattle. The vets usually play quite a bit in the third game. I expect to lose that game, but even though it is preseason, it is the litmus test. I want to see how we stack up.
  3. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +286 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    Jared Allen: Building All-Around Players

Jared's got a lot of personality, is always articulate, and usually very informative about breaking down football for the media and fans. Chicagobears.com posted the above interview with him after practice today and I felt like the standout was the constant message of the run game.

Jared, a known pass rusher, hell a primary pass rusher, hasn't always been the best at setting the edge and keeping contain and he stresses in this short video the importance of stopping the run:

"You can want to rush the passer all day but if you're never in those situations you're never going to get an opportunity to put that on film... Us D-linemen are judged on how many sacks we get but there's a lot more to it than that. You have to set yourself up to get into those situations [by stopping the run]... There's a lot more to [playing d-line] than getting after the quarterback... [Going up against the Bear's offense] kind of creates bad habits because they throw the ball a lot so uh [laugh] we get to work on our pass rush a lot [laugh]. Unfortunately we're gonna play Jacksonville this week and they have a power run game..."

I think this is very telling about where the focus is at in training camp right now. The Bears got blown up in the run game (and reversely didn't blow up the Eagles with our run game) on Friday night which refuels the sense of urgency to address this now. Jared talked about cleaning up technique so we don't get beat on long run plays. It's good they are setting that as a high priority early in the year and I think it's also somewhat revealing that Jared somewhat uncomfortably talks about the Bear's offense passing a ton in training camp which prevents them from perfecting run technique (on both sides of the ball).

I guess I'd never really put the two pieces together (kind of idiotically) that when your Offense stresses the passing game in training camp, the run game is going to suffer from a scheme stand point because the linemen aren't getting the needed reps at it. Similarly, the defense isn't getting better at stopping the run because they aren't getting the reps at it. It seems like as much as I'm in love with the high powered aerial assault of B Marsh, AJ, Marty B, Zmill, and Morgan (now) it would be nice to see the Bears work the ground game more, not just to set up the pass (which might not be needed with these weapons) but to give the defense some more repetitions practicing against the run.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,984 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    999ß
    Might be a valid point B-, I think we all know this, but we don't put it together b/c we aren't watching TC and practices. It explians why the OL seems to have improved, but still struggles w/run blocking. And if they are below average at run blocking how is the DL going to get ready for a good team that runs the ball?
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    Two years ago, you could see in the Green Bay Packers' Family Night scrimmage and first preseason game that free-agent center Jeff Saturday was hitting the wall.

Saturday was 37 at the time and got pushed around too much. It was an early sign of issues to come, and by the end of the year he'd lost his starting job.

Now, I'm not saying that about Julius Peppers, the 34-year-old outside linebacker who this offseason was general manager Ted Thompson's big free-agent signing. But I have to say, I expected a lot more from Peppers in the Packers' preseason opener at Tennessee on Saturday night.

What's holding me back from getting off the Peppers bus early are his ungodly physical skills. He's still 6-feet-7. He's still 290 pounds, and you can't pinch him with pliers. He's Julius Peppers, he's still going to get attention from offenses, especially early in the season. But maybe expectations are too high. Either way, I thought he looked uninterested Saturday night in the 10 snaps he played in the pouring rain.

For instance, he was a big reason Titans running back Shonn Greene scored so easily on a 13-yard touchdown run that was the final play of the No. 1 defense's night. Peppers got too far up field and turned his back to the sideline, which opened a huge hole for Greene to cut inside and go for the score. There might have been a defensive mix-up, because defensive lineman Mike Daniels barreled too far inside also. But Peppers looked like, "Eh, it's preseason."...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß

Trevor Scott = Jared Allen light. LOL

I think Scott has found a home with a team that can use him at his strength. He had a nice start to his career, got hurt, then came back playing OLB in 3-4 defenses and while I'm not DL coach this guy is a pure 4-3 DE from my view of him. He's got size, speed, and strength and he's a smart player.

Nice find Phil!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß

I think Pep is playing out the string for a last pay day or two and hoping to get a ring. That's why he signed where he did. I'm never opposed to solid vets taking it less seriously in preseason when I know what they can do once the games count but in Peps case he quit last year and that does leave him somewhat suspect. I do know this much though. If he does take a game or two off it won't be either of the Bears games. He'll be looking to do some damage.
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    Lets hope the amount of damage he can do is when he takes the rest of the time off against other teams that he applys to us.

:002: :18 1 205:
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    Despite the fact that we're a little green at DT behind the top three vets this is still a very good and very deep DL. I'd say we're now a solid four deep at DE because Trevor Scott is a baller. We can take Allen out for a rest and put Scott in and lose very little. They play a very similar game.

The guy who surprised me a bit was Austen Lane at LDE. I didn't give him much of a shot at making the team but he's moved ahead of Bass and he'll send CWash packing. He's got nice size for playing LDE, he's a local guy who looks like he wants to play close to home and he's only 26 years old so he could easily hang around for awhile.

I like the fact that we're bringing in some of these younger FAs may have some upside. The competition is far better now than I've ever seen on this team before. There isn't much favoritism of any kind any longer. Your either one of the best or you won't make the team. Sorry, we appreciate your efforts but blah blah blah is just outplaying you.

This is a whole lot better way to run a football team.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    And Soul heres what gets me, we've been waiting how many decades for this ?

In one year it gets solved overnight on offense.

In another year it could be solved on defense also.

Special teams ... ??
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    Jackie, it may still be okay with Special Teams this year. I hope so.
    I can't wait to see if they do better in tomorrow night's game.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    Well for how many decades was that asshat Mikey either the President/GM/CEO or the COB and basically in charge of the checkbook one way or another. He squeezed every drop of success and money out of those '80s teams he could and spent zilch on rebuilding them until they fell apart.

Then he hired Wannstadt and as personnel guys even together they were as potent as a fart in windstorm. That was the '90s and even after Ginny fired him as the President/GM/CEO and Ted Phillips took over Mikey still had ultimate control of the purse strings and besides JA was his hand picked hire as his successor.

It wasn't until George came in as COB that things began to change. He's far more of a football guy than Mikey ever was but also humble enough to know what he doesn't know so he seeks advice from those who do and hires a good personnel guy to find players and gives Ted Phillips the green light to spend to get them.

It all starts there. Ding dong the asshat is dead and long live Dorothy....I mean George!
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    Emery/Trestman has cut or not re-signed about half the 2013 defense: Melton, Peppers, Wright, Anderson, and Corey Wooten.

They must think Conte has some value or they'd have sent him off too.

Which scares the crap outta me. If they think Conte is worth keeping, I'm gonna prognosticate this is Tucker's final season with the Bears.....we'll see....

A buddy of mine who is a Cowboy fan said that Melton is getting owned by the offensive line in training camp...

Above posts ripped from other BEARS boards.