training camp schedule released

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by shark86x, Jun 19, 2014.

1. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    309ß
    http://www.chicagobears.com/events/training-camp.html

They sure made it hard to go to this year. I'll have to play sick at work...

First Saturday is no pads. 2nd Saturday is family night. Last Saturday is no practice.

2014 CHICAGO BEARS TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE
    DAYDATEPRACTICE TIME/NOTESTHEME DAY
    FridayJuly 259:00 - 11:30 am 
    SaturdayJuly 269:00 - 11:30 amVamos Bears Dia
    SundayJuly 279:00 - 11:30 am 
    MondayJuly 289:00 - 11:30 am 
    TuesdayJuly 29No practice - closed to the public 
    WednesdayJuly 309:00 - 11:30 amLadies Day
    ThursdayJuly 319:00 - 11:30 am 
    FridayAugust 19:00 - 11:30 am 
    SaturdayAugust 26:45 pm - 8:45 pm (Soldier Field)Family Fest
    SundayAugust 3No practice - closed to the public 
    MondayAugust 43:00 - 5:00 pmArmed Forces Day
    TuesdayAugust 59:00 - 11:30 am 
    WednesdayAugust 69:00 - 11:30 amYouth Football Day
    ThursdayAugust 7No practice - closed to the public 
    FridayAugust 8Preseason Game 1: Bears vs. Eagles 
    SaturdayAugust 9No practice - closed to the public 
    SundayAugust 103:00 - 5:00 pm 
    MondayAugust 119:00 - 11:30 am 
    TuesdayAugust 129:00 - 11:30 am 
    WednesdayAugust 13Break Camp - closed to the public 
    ThursdayAugust 14Preseason Game 2: Bears vs. Jaguars 
    For 3:00 pm practices gates will open at 2:30 pm and close at 6:30 pm.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  2. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    My wife said I should go this year! Agreed, they make it tough to go to on the weekend so I'm probably just going to take time off of work. Is it any less crowded on week days?
  3. Rakk

Rakk Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I have always gone on a Friday, so I could have at least one travel day on the weekend. I think the crowds are pretty consistent, and we got there a couple hours early anyway to get close to the front of the line. It fills up every day from my observation.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    So, arriving two hours early seems to be enough generally to get you toward the front? Any other tips? I know there have been threads in the past covering tips and info about attending TC but can't seem to find it/them.
  5. Rakk

Rakk Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Here's a good link from the Daily Journal newspaper from down there.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=...0.06476,0.072956&z=13&source=embed&dg=feature

If you haven't been before, parking and admittance is free. Seating in the bleachers is first come first serve. I always scout out what that day's practice consists of and on what fields. My favorite is the 7 on 7, and 11 on 11 sessions so I try to get good seats for those.

I recommend bringing lawn chairs, if you don't want to sit in the bleachers. But, that means you need to make a bee-line to your field of choice to secure your spot against the ropes.

Best time for autographs is immediately after practice as the players are walking off the field. If you have little kids with you, there is a place marked off for them where the players enter the field. But, you will need to break away from practice about 20-30 min early IMO to get your kid a good spot up front. The players (and coaches) do a good job with the kids, but there is still no guarantee.

If you want autographs, bring your own item(s) to get signed, and bring extra Sharpies! My son one year had his run dry, and missed getting Idonije's autograph!

I believe it's on the North end of the fields there is a hill. That is a great place to sit, up high, and see down on the action. It's never crowded but you are not real close.

Bring your camera, small binoculars, sunscreen, money for concessions & souvenirs (I always buy a new hat for the year and a Training Camp t-shirt!), lawn chair/blanket (unless you want to sit in bleachers and I don't), and water.

There are others on here that go each year too, and I've probably missed something. But hope this helps
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    Great info! I hate large crowds so the hill might sound like the perfect place for me. Just gotta find my binocs. lol I'm thinking I might just head down real early in the morning (It's about 2hr 45min drive for me) for one of the morning practices. Possibly the one afternoon practice on Aug 4. Not sure. Should be a blast thought. It'll be my first time going to Training Camp. Looking forward to more feedback from others who go regularly!
  7. shark86x

Ratings:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    309ß
    What Rakk said, but maybe 3 hours early, not 2. I would plan on the lawn chair routine because 2-3 hours in line is a long time to stand. The bleachers are not comfortable and you're a sardine in a can once they fill up.

Same thing along the ropes. If you can get in early and set your chair up you're good. But it will be 5-6 people deep behind you, at least. So you want to set up in a good location early, and don't plan on being able to move your chair anywhere else. And if you're behind too many people, you won't be seeing much.

The hill is great if you have binoculars. Bring water and wear a hat. It can get very hot in the sun in July/August!!!! There is no shade except inside the souvenir shop, and that's crowded.

It's a great time and well worth the trip, even at 2:45. We've gone every year it's been in Bourbonnais, but it's only a 30 minute drive for us.

Here's a satellite view I marked up. Let me know if anything's wrong or if you want to see anything else on it...

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Wish I wasn't 1000 miles away. I actually got to watch them in Platteville once but that was ages ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Rakk

Rakk Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Awesome! I went there as a kid with my dad. I still have the Steno book I used for the autographs whenever we went. I grew up in Elgin, so it wasn't too far, and made for a cool father-son road trip!
  10. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    In the satellite map, is that area just to the west of the stadium the parking?
  11. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    How quickly do hotels book up? Are they outrageously priced?
  12. shark86x

Ratings:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    309ß
    Yes, the area west of the stadium is parking. I normally get in early, so I don't know where parking is if/when these lots fill up. But I do know that looking from the front of the line, it wraps around the lot as shown by the peachy colored arrows, and goes down the road farther than I can see.

Papa, as far as hotels, I can't answer that as I'm 30 minutes away and have never stayed there. There are several motels, I guess I would call ASAP and see what availability is.

They do check all bags, so pack light as possible! And there are plenty of porta potties, but none near the field.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Papa Bear there is a website for the local tourism board just click on hotels in the selector on the right side of the page ...

http://visitkankakeecounty.com/member_listings.cfm

Being from the Chicago area, I don't stay in local hotels so I can't speak to the prices. If you are driving in to the Chicago area, you can stay anywhere. Also there is a lot of other stuff to do and see in the Chicago area so you may want to stay elsewhere.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    Tomorrow's the day! Meeting my brother and nephew at camp tomorrow for the 3pm practice then spending the night to watch the 9am practice (hopefully, looks like rain is possible for Monday).

Question: the hill to the north was mentioned as a good spot to watch, but on the Bears' site it is labeled as VIP seating. Is that new? Does that mean I won't be able to sit there?