Trestman admits he should have put in McCown in sooner

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,674 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,045ß

And on a similar note, i tried googling "Trestman admits FG mistake" trying to find if he also admitted his failure in not kicking the FG, and not only did i find a hit, it wasn't even from this year, its an article back from his days in the CFL, so i guess this is a part of who he is as a HC, we should just accept the fact that he is bold, nobody will ever make the mistake of calling him a "Conservative" Coach *coughLoviecough* Problem with being bold: some times it works, some times it does not.

• Like Like x 2
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,535ß
    People forget that Mannelly was out. That likely played into the decision to go for it on 4th down
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,674 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,045ß
    Doubtful, because the points still make a better decision:

1.If you go for it on 4th and short, only two things can happen: you convert, or you fail and turnover the ball. In either case, you score no points, you are only rewarded with a 1st down.

2.If you kick the FG, only three things could happen: you make it and get the points, or you screw it up and turnover the ball, or you screw it up but still manage to convert the 1st on a scramble.

So, logically, option 2 is still preferable, because you have more chances to do something good (2/3, compared to 1/2), and you still end up with points (compared to just a 1st down with option 1)
  4. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    I think it is great that he admits his mistake. I think it was the right call to go on 4 and 1.

Now I'm kinda torn apart whether we should start Cutler or McCown. Cutler gets a week more rest but he seems very fragile and McCown has looked better than Cutler in the limited time he has played.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,580 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    Ya but he said like 1 driver sooner, it should have been 1 and 1/2 qtrs sooner.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    127ß
    When I first joined this board, I mentioned that Trestman will roll the dice and that on occasion the dice bite back. He doesn't play safe. He's also loyal to his starter and won't put the backup in unless he has to. If the starter says he can go, then he'll put him out there. I didn't see the game, but according to everything I've read, the squandering of this victory was a team effort.
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,535ß
    I think I remember you saying that.
  8. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Veteran

Ratings:
    +84 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    91ß
    One wonders what the outcome might have been if McCown would have entered the game in time to get two or three possessions instead of just one.

I guess we'll never know.
  9. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    127ß
    Exactly. you're a genius when it works and a bum when it doesn't.

BTW, that game was one for the ages featuring a phenomenal end zone catch for the two point convert in OT. (Two point converts are mandatory in OT to help break the tie.)

Just got his elbow down in bounds.
  10. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I don't really mind the call to go for it. Watching other games around the league I think you will see it becoming a trend to go for it on 4th down. The coaches realize that the odds are really pretty good that your team can get a yard or two.
    McCown should have gone in earlier. After Jay turned his ankle the combination of a tender groin and the ankle should have been enough to pull him.

It just tells me that Trestman might not be a confident in Josh as we all are, not sure why.
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,611 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    672ß
    It's a shame that this wasn't a "hindsight is 20/20" type thing, because he was the last person to understand that Cutler wasn't going to help us, in the second half.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +744 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,171ß
    You are good with statistics, so I wonder what you think of this guy's formula...

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/09/4th-down-study-part-4.html

If I follow his argument, he says if you are 4th and 1 on 30 yd. line, you should go for it. He says his calculation is based on outcomes in 2,400 actual cases. That's a pretty damn good sample size! Of course, only the Bears have Robbie Gould kicking, so that would skew toward kicking the FG.
  13. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,535ß
    They also were lacking their long snapper, and was replaced with someone who likely isn't trusted to do anything right
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  14. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    On the Monday interview(on the NFL network) with Trestman, he was supporting the fact that Jay was still spinning the rock pretty good. He defended his position to keep Jay in the game during more than a couple of questions, so with both his word and his nonverbal communication he feels that Jay gives us a better chance to win and he believes that Jay is a better QB than Josh.

He also said that the film supported what he thought was the right call to keep Jay on the field.
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,580 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    That's b/c Jay is a better qb the Josh, that's not even debateable. Even hurt Cutler was making passes that Josh couldn't at 100%.
  16. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    127ß
    One dropped TD pass, one TD nullified by penalty, one TD bound ball tipped for an INT and a failed 4th down gamble that could've been a FG. If half of these go right, would we be having this discussion?
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,535ß
    Not at all.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    This is what separated winners from losers in today's NFL. Games are often decided on a few plays. Seasons are consequently affected by the outcome of some of these games. If we won yesterday, we would (arguably) be heavily favored to win the division championship. But, as you pointed out, a few failed plays cost us, in fact they probably killed our 2013 season. Only time will tell.

I don't see us making the playoffs now. Granted, a zillion factors preceded yesterdays game, i.e. injuries, new coaches, new players etc. - but even after all of these factors hit us, we were still very much alive in the division championship race prior to our loss yesterday. Now? Not so much.

Great teams don't make many mistakes. With the parity in the NFL now, you just can't blow opportunities like we had yesterday.
  19. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,614 / 18 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    200ß

That's the way I saw the game as well. Even with Jay hurt we should have won the game. We were in position to win with him on one leg and had AJ made one of those two TD catches we're talking about how this was a gutty performance from Cutler. It would be all over ESPN how Jay brought us back with one leg and everyone would be loving the grit shown. Since those couple plays/holding were not made we're hearing people that want him run out of town.

For me anyway I saw more than a loss. I saw a coach who stuck with his player and it SHOULD have worked. I saw a player who gave it his all and it SHOULD have been enough. IF AJ squeezes that ball in the end zone Jay is a hero and everyone is loving how tough he is. The plays were not made and the fury falls on the guys head who put the ball where it needed to be.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,472 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    Correct. Cutler should have been out when he became immobile. That seemed to be somewhere in the 2nd Q whether it was due to an ankle sprain or his groin tear hurting again or (probably) both. You can make a case that he shouldn't have been allowed to play at all given that him truly being 100% was unlikely, "cleared" or not.

Add in a few other very questionable play calls and decisions and....you have a game in which Trestman HURT his team rather than helped it like he did against Green Bay.

I would add that the controversial 4th down choice wasn't "inches to go". The LOS was almost directly cross-field from my seat and i saw we needed a "yard plus" for the first so factor that into your assessment of MT's decision. Against one of the better front 4s in the NFL. I said it before the ball was snapped and ill say it again here--kick the damn FG there! No, it isn't a chip shot but that's why you have and trust one of the best kickers in the game to make it 80+% of the time. Maybe in a road game or a heavy underdog situation you should be more aggressive knowing opportunities will be rarer but in a home game against an evenly matched opponent? Take the points and the 10-0 lead and trust Gould.

Finally, I don't know whether its Cutler or Trestmna buts what's with this throwing low over the middle inside the 5 stuff??? That's the second time a dangerous pass like that has been picked and we came away with ZERO POINTS. Geezus, if you can't run it in, then throw a fade or a quick pass into the flat to Forte or Bennett. No surprise that those middle passes deep in the RZ are gonna get tipped and picked more often. So frustrating...