Trestman admits he should have put in McCown in sooner

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Nov 11, 2013.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    Bill, I like MT a lot and think he's a huge improvement and a very good NFL HC in the making. But this game wasn't one of his finest hours. There's a fine line between "rolling the dice" wisely and stupidly and I do think MT used his heart more than his head yesterday a bunch of times.
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    No doubt about the arm difference but Jay couldn't run at all in the 2nd half. Couldn't scramble, evade, roll out...nothing. That changes a lot of things.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    I agree, JABF. A handful of key plays or non-plays decide close games. There's always a handful of shoulda/woulda/coulda's on the other side too. You can't give Trestman a pass for his poor decision-making because "Jeffery should have caught that pass" or "we got called for holding" or such and such. He made some very questionable choices that didn't pan out well. IMO, Trestman didn't put his players and team into the best possible situations with the greatest chance of winning the game and that's pretty much Head Coaching job #1.

This is the second time this season the Bears (as a whole--players and coaches) have crapped the bed against Detroit when they had a chance to take the division around the neck a bit. You guys who predicted it in the preseason were right--the Bears as a whole are still mediocre. Between offense, defense, special teams, and coaching, the Bears seem to have costly blow ups in at least one, and often more than one, element on a regular basis. And that's why they are 5-4 rather than 7-2 (even with injuries).
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -3
    Bingo! Usually I get over a Bears loss by the next day, but this one lingers on, because of the magnitude of the game in the standings and the way we lost, I was thinking back to the game we beat the Lions when Megatron caught a TD pass but it was disallowed because of what has come to be known as the "Calvin Johnson rule." I can't remember the details,but didn't that knock the Lions out of the playoffs or something? Anyway, what goes around comes around. That ball Jeffrey caught was the same deal. He had the ball firmly in both hands with both feet in the end zone. By god, in the "old days" that was a TD -- no questions asked. This fucking rule should be banished to hell

Did you guys see Davis in 49ers game -- pass catch take two steps and fumble when hit? That was ruled "incomplete" and the ruling was upheld on challenge by Panthers coach. There is this crap about come down with the ball with both feet in-bounds (completed pass by old rules) AND make what they call a "football move." Where the hell did this come from? Okay, I'm an old-timer, but I say the old rules worked fine! While I'm at it, I want to bring back the force-out rule on sideline passes. You older guys know what I'm talking about.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    And, on mic'd up, Cutler asks Trestman if he's "playing okay". Do I have to draw a map, at this point, for anyone who doubts this decision is all on Trestman?
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +739 / 2 / -0
    yeah, certainly... but as the HC, it is incumbent on him to watch how Cutler is moving around, how he is throwing the ball, how he keeps grabbing his groin (well, he could avert his gaze on that if he wants) and make a decision himself. It was obvious Cutler wanted to play. Hell, he worked really hard to get out there earlier than the 4 weeks. I would not expect Cutler to say anything but "yeah everything is great coach". It's one of those things that the blame goes to the guy who was responsible to make the call and had the power to make the call. Right or wrong, managers get blamed for people they are responsible for. The manager that has his employee assure him that the task is finished gets blamed when it doesn't get in on time because the employee never started it. You have to take prudent steps as a manager to be sure what you are being told is the reality. It's not as if no one could see him in pain and struggling.

There is always more than one perspective on almost everything, but I do think that when Cutler showed signs that he was hurting, that Trestman should have pulled him. He mentioned that he probably should have pulled him a series earlier, but again, I think that still would have been too late. Unless of course Cutler felt something go again during that last series that caused Trestman to say that, because he didn't look so good way before that.

Who knows... maybe another series and McCown might have gotten a FG out of it? No way at all to be able to speculate on that.
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    There's really not much speculation to assume the Bears win with Cutler getting pulled earlier.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +739 / 2 / -0
    hmmmm......

I didn't think the discussion revolved around assuming that pulling Cutler wins the game. I thought we were discussing whether or not keeping an obviously injured and limited QB in the game was all on Trestman.

My bad....
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    Nah, I don't think I was responding to the right thread. Either way, point stands.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +739 / 2 / -0
    no one has a crystal ball, so any speculation either way is just that.... speculation.

I do think, however, regardless of whether one thinks that McCown would have won the game or not, it is just prudent to pull a guy who is struggling for a healthy guy that has played well. I personally think a healthy McCown is better than a hobbled Cutler, but obviously that is subjective.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    LOL, exactly. And Cutler doesn't need to "ask". The HC needs to make that decision without prompting. Trestman did a helluva job in Green Bay but he was slow on the uptake against Detroit.
  12. A God named Payton

A God named Payton

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Good to see him take a share if the blame on a lack of decision on sunday night.
    Also glad in a sick sort if way to see Cutler out for another week another least.

JC needs to learn to heal properly and not get back onto the saddle asap.
  13. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    "Cutler suffered an ankle injury earlier in the game, on top of his sore groin" To me these also sounds like the groin injury was part of the problem. He is not a 100% after the groin injury.

I don't buy T-mans arguement that it was eveyrone elses fault and not Cutlers performance to validate his decision to keep him in. He should admit he was wrong unequivecally and move on.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Grankle Injury: when someone twists their ankle because they still have a sore groin.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +739 / 2 / -0
    Wouldn't that be below his sore groin? :):)