Trestman confident in QB Palmer

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, May 6, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,602ß
    [​IMG]
    LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Quarterback Jordan Palmer's limited regular-season game experience is not a major concern for Bears head coach Marc Trestman. Five days after general manager Phil Emery endorsed the idea of Palmer serving as the Bears' primary backup to Jay Cutler in 2014, Trestman told reporters on Tuesday he sees similarities between Palmer and current Tampa starting quarterback Josh McCown, who signed a two-year deal with the Bucs in free agency after throwing for 1,829 yards, 13 touchdowns and only one interception for the Bears last year.

Continue reading...
  2. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Link didn't work for me but if they didn't like Palmer a lot he'd be long gone by now.
    I don't see Emery taking a QB at all in this years draft.
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +993 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    At least someone is.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,654 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    the crop of vet qb's this time around was REALLY bad, so no doubt he'd be more comfortable w/Palmer then anyone else out there. Better hope Cutler stays healthy for more then 11 games though, although the amount of talent around whoever the qb is, is going to mitigate their low ceiling, see McCown last year.
  5. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +410 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    547ß
    They can't leave the cupboard that bare . FA's suck , so hopefully someone decent gets released at some point . If nothing else get Jordan Lynch on board . He's tough , is a proven winner , can run , his completion % isn't bad and he could be a solid if not spectacular game manager if Cutty goes down and Palmer doesn't cut the mustard .
    • Like Like x 1
  6. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +411 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    145ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/stor...confident-jordan-palmer?ex_cid=espnapi_public

"I know he's been in the league for a long time, he's been around a lot of different offenses, he certainly looks like he can sufficiently throw the football the times we've seen him work, and he's a joy to work with every day and to help develop," Trestman said.

These are not the words of a head coach that is about to jettison someone in favor of a half baked rookie.
  7. little bear

Ratings:
    +993 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    Now I'm almost certain we won't draft a QB this year, does this mean there's room for a tight end?
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,654 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    "I believe in the right environment Tim Tebow will figure this out. He doesn't have explosive arm strength, but he has more than adequate arm strength to throw the ball in the NFL and make all the throws. I saw him do something totally different in seven or eight days."

"If you're a coach and you love coaching quarterbacks, you'd love the opportunity to develop Tim Tebow."

Trestman on Tim Tebow, sounds like a guy that would love to bring Tim to the team and have him develop in the backup role....but he wont b/c Tim sucks.

What coaches say, epecially in public, and what they do or want are normally completely different. You really think Trestman is going to dog, or leave any question about what the teams plans or wants are?

I do believe they are sticking w/Palmer this year, I don't agree w/it b/c the guy is only going to go as far as the talent around him can drag him forward, but the team has to many other needs to pick up a qb early, and Emery doesn't want to draft a qb after the 3rd round(if he's to be believed). But just b/c he said nice things about Palmer doesn't mean they wouldn't replace him in a hearbeat if something better afforded them the chance.
  9. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +411 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    145ß
    Touche on what coaches say and do. I focused on the "joy to work with and develop" line and a couple others in that article. That is something a coach does not have to say, and Trestman is really big into the touchy feely relationship aspect of the team.

You don't agree with Trestman's evaluation of a quarterback? He had half a season to judge him. If he didn't think Palmer could do the job, there would be someone else on the roster.

If there was someone better at veteran minimum, of course they would replace Palmer. Of all the league minimum vets, Palmer is probably the best fit here on the Bears. He's content as a backup. Jay doesn't have to look over his shoulder. He teaches the new wide receivers the playbook like McCown did.

If Cutler goes down for the year, guess what, the team is going nowhere. No rookie the Bears could conceivably draft is going to save them either. All the Bears need Palmer to do is hand off to Forte and occasionally throw to the open guy so they don't look awful. He might even win a few games.
  10. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Hmmm.. I seem to recall we had a lot of confidence in such stellar names like: Campbell, Hanie, Orton, Collins, Krentzel and others.

We got lucky last year that McCown matured and played well. Can Palmer do the same? Only time will tell.

I guess I would rather hope that Jay does not get hurt. Perhaps a bit unrealistic.

Either way, Palmer may be a viable #2, but I would feel a lot better if we had a viable #3 as well.
  11. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    One guy I would not mind seeing as our #2/3 would be Mike Glennon from Tampa. Word is Lovie is going to let him go. I still think he has some potential given the right situation. It would not scare me if we had to press him into service due to injuries.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    According to NFL.com Tampa wants to trade Glennon and will definitely draft a QB Thursday or Friday. They are hoping for a 2nd round pick for him but may settle for a 3rd.
  13. little bear

Ratings:
    +993 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    A 2nd round pick for Glennon?! :rofl2:

Good one.
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,284 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,704ß
    The coaches are ALWAYS confident in their backup QBs or they would not be the backup QB. It does not mean much to me. We won't know if the confidence is misplaced until it is too late. That's just the reality. I was pretty high on Hanie. Then he shit the bed.
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    But who that was out there could have really inspired more confidence? I'm sure they have their eyes on a few rookies if they can get them with good value pick wise.

Mettenberger
    Murray
    McCarron
    Thomas

just off the top of my head could possibly be on the watch list.
  16. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +411 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    145ß
    When the spending limit on the #2 is veteran minimum, there were very few options. Trent Edwards? Maybe Kolb could shake off his latest concussion and stumble onto the field for us. Actually, I'd be alright with Kolb being brought in to take a look at.

Of the guys you listed, they all need development. They aren't ready to step in as a #2 when week 1 rolls around. Palmer would still be the #2, and Emery would be forced to carry a #3 QB. Last year he did not do that until Cutler was hurt and he had to bring in Palmer.

I know you guys have your favorites, and would love to see a rookie QB "developed". If the Bears had 10 picks this year, I would think that maybe it was more of a possibility. But Trestman's resume is filled with the rehabilitation of older veteran QBs, and Emery just said that later round developmental QBs are not a good bet. I don't think he is going to take the time he did to explain why he feels that way in detail only to then go draft a late round QB. If one those those guys are around later than they should be, I'd expect to see a trade down.
  17. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +411 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    145ß
    You have to look at the quality of the coaching and GM-ing that evaluation that Hanie was a good QB. JA and Martz wasted two late rounders on Lefevour and Enderle.

Trestman had confidence in McCown and it paid off. Palmer is doing his best impression of McCown by putting in the extra hours and studying with the new guys and teaching them the playbook. It's really going to take a good player to pry him loose from the #2 gig, and with what that position is currently paying at vet minimum, I don't see it happening.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    That's my reaction too. No effing way. Which is another reason why Emery's mantra that "drafting a developmental QB doesn't work out that well" makes more and more sense to me. They don't bring you high draft picks in trade all that often. NE has been unable to trade Mallett and I doubt Tampa will get more than a 3rd at best for Glennon. He cost them a 3rd to draft! So, either keep him after you spent a 3rd on him or don't draft him at all in the first place. Why sign McCown when you have a 2nd yr QB with some promise and plan to draft another one high up?
  19. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,236 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    609ß
    I was watching the Draft Academy on one of the ESPN's last night and they were featuring Bortles. I kept seeing this dude with a Bears hat coaching him, then when I looked closer it was Jordan Palmer. Then I focused on him almost exclusively.....and I was impressed. He was coaching up Bortles. Really good stuff. Made me think this isn't as risky as I was once thinking.
  20. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +411 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    145ß
    Well, I can give you my reason why you'd want McCown if the plan is to draft a QB with the 7th overall pick in Tampa.

Because Glennon is an old regime pick, and Lovie and the new Tampa front office are making their own path. This is a QB heavy draft to make that kind of move in, and they should be hoping they aren't drafting this high next year.

You bring in McCown with the plan that he will mentor and develop the rookie and step aside when the rookie is ready. You know Josh loves to coach, and for 5 million a year right before he retires he'd do backflips for them if they asked. There's no ego to get past or pissing match between the rookie and last year's rookie, which could happen if you kept Glennon.

They could also just go with Glennon and McCown if the draft does not play out the way they hope and the guy they are targeting is gone.

As for developing and trading a QB, to me that is the risky speculation that is unnecessary if you already have identified your starter. It's so hard to identify NFL quarterback talent, that to draft and try to trade a guy is almost impossible unless your starter goes down early and you can showcase what your backup can do. Like what happened with Cassell. NE was able to get a 2nd rounder for him and Vrabel in a package deal, but it only was desirable because Cassell went 11-5. Mallett isn't worth anything because no one is really sure what he can do.