Trestman confident in QB Palmer

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, May 6, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,506ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    [​IMG]
    LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Quarterback Jordan Palmer's limited regular-season game experience is not a major concern for Bears head coach Marc Trestman. Five days after general manager Phil Emery endorsed the idea of Palmer serving as the Bears' primary backup to Jay Cutler in 2014, Trestman told reporters on Tuesday he sees similarities between Palmer and current Tampa starting quarterback Josh McCown, who signed a two-year deal with the Bucs in free agency after throwing for 1,829 yards, 13 touchdowns and only one interception for the Bears last year.

Continue reading...

2. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    Link didn't work for me but if they didn't like Palmer a lot he'd be long gone by now.
    I don't see Emery taking a QB at all in this years draft.

3. little bear

little bear Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,108ß
    At least someone is.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,884ß
    the crop of vet qb's this time around was REALLY bad, so no doubt he'd be more comfortable w/Palmer then anyone else out there. Better hope Cutler stays healthy for more then 11 games though, although the amount of talent around whoever the qb is, is going to mitigate their low ceiling, see McCown last year.

5. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,393ß
    They can't leave the cupboard that bare . FA's suck , so hopefully someone decent gets released at some point . If nothing else get Jordan Lynch on board . He's tough , is a proven winner , can run , his completion % isn't bad and he could be a solid if not spectacular game manager if Cutty goes down and Palmer doesn't cut the mustard .

• Like Like x 1
  6. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    544ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/stor...confident-jordan-palmer?ex_cid=espnapi_public

"I know he's been in the league for a long time, he's been around a lot of different offenses, he certainly looks like he can sufficiently throw the football the times we've seen him work, and he's a joy to work with every day and to help develop," Trestman said.

These are not the words of a head coach that is about to jettison someone in favor of a half baked rookie.

7. little bear

little bear Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,108ß
    Now I'm almost certain we won't draft a QB this year, does this mean there's room for a tight end?

8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,884ß
    "I believe in the right environment Tim Tebow will figure this out. He doesn't have explosive arm strength, but he has more than adequate arm strength to throw the ball in the NFL and make all the throws. I saw him do something totally different in seven or eight days."

"If you're a coach and you love coaching quarterbacks, you'd love the opportunity to develop Tim Tebow."

Trestman on Tim Tebow, sounds like a guy that would love to bring Tim to the team and have him develop in the backup role....but he wont b/c Tim sucks.

What coaches say, epecially in public, and what they do or want are normally completely different. You really think Trestman is going to dog, or leave any question about what the teams plans or wants are?

I do believe they are sticking w/Palmer this year, I don't agree w/it b/c the guy is only going to go as far as the talent around him can drag him forward, but the team has to many other needs to pick up a qb early, and Emery doesn't want to draft a qb after the 3rd round(if he's to be believed). But just b/c he said nice things about Palmer doesn't mean they wouldn't replace him in a hearbeat if something better afforded them the chance.

9. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    544ß
    Touche on what coaches say and do. I focused on the "joy to work with and develop" line and a couple others in that article. That is something a coach does not have to say, and Trestman is really big into the touchy feely relationship aspect of the team.

You don't agree with Trestman's evaluation of a quarterback? He had half a season to judge him. If he didn't think Palmer could do the job, there would be someone else on the roster.

If there was someone better at veteran minimum, of course they would replace Palmer. Of all the league minimum vets, Palmer is probably the best fit here on the Bears. He's content as a backup. Jay doesn't have to look over his shoulder. He teaches the new wide receivers the playbook like McCown did.

If Cutler goes down for the year, guess what, the team is going nowhere. No rookie the Bears could conceivably draft is going to save them either. All the Bears need Palmer to do is hand off to Forte and occasionally throw to the open guy so they don't look awful. He might even win a few games.

10. JoeBear

JoeBear Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    77ß
    Hmmm.. I seem to recall we had a lot of confidence in such stellar names like: Campbell, Hanie, Orton, Collins, Krentzel and others.

We got lucky last year that McCown matured and played well. Can Palmer do the same? Only time will tell.

I guess I would rather hope that Jay does not get hurt. Perhaps a bit unrealistic.

Either way, Palmer may be a viable #2, but I would feel a lot better if we had a viable #3 as well.