Trestman feels no trepidation about D & unconcerned about the unit’s ability to get the job done.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 1, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,402 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    818ß
    Trestman feels the D is stout.

2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,579 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    804ß
    Well, he admits the talent level is there. He says that the team needs to come together. I thought it kind of funny to wait on the regular season for that. Seems like that is what the PS is for.

What's he going to say? I want to see what happens on the field, not what he says at the podium. I hope he is right, because I have some trepidation about his lack of trepidation.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,224 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    261ß
    I have some trepidation about Trestman's lack of trepidation about not being able to pronounce trepidation.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,472 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    768ß
    As long as our defense can move up to "slightly below average," we will be alright. Were not expecting a miracle turnaround, we are not expecting Seahawk-level defense, but a few spots above "DEAD FUCKING LAST IN THE LEAGUE" would be nice, and will get the job done.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +582 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    287ß
    No....no...some people are expecting a miracle like turnaround, Seahawk like defense! Have you not read the 300 million threads on Mel Tucker?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,017 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    Yep the DL is good enough to carry the entire D to a top 5-10 according to some here, who cares that the LB's are showing to be either old or untalented, and the S's suck, but the DL will make them look good regardless of their inability to tackle or cover.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,402 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    818ß
    You mean we are not gettin' the miracle now? Jeesh. I'm gonna start Mel Tucker thread #301-million and whine about this too.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,017 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    Speaking of the D, I saw a tweet today that said the starting LB's are Briggs and Williams and the starting LB's.
    Several tweets about the Bears "unofficial depth chart: Spurlock as the primary PR, and Perry as the primary KR.
    Also has the starting S's as Mundy and McCray on the unofficial depth chart.
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +672 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    I'm expecting more of miracle turnaround by the D like what occurred for Bears offense last year. We all know it can be done it's just many having the D sold down the river from PS assessments. I'll hold my reservations when the ship floats by me before I make assessments.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,579 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    804ß
    That would be me.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,579 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    804ß
    To strive for anything less than perfection pretty much guarantees accomplishing even less than that lower goal.
  12. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,903 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    920ß
    The D scares the hell out of me.

The line worries me, the linebackers worry me, the secondary worries me.... The special teams gives me night terrors
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +582 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    287ß
    Would you say that there is an equal level of talent on the offense and defense?
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,579 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    804ß
    I think the DL is more talented than the OL. The equivalent to the defensive secondary I guess would be the receivers... not exactly, but you have the two lines and then all of the other positions are broken down.

If we have our DBs play up to their potential, they are about as good as any team. Our WRs are absolutely some of the best in the league.
    In general, the strengths of our D is the DL and the DBs (should be). The weakness are LB and S
    the strengths of our O are our WRs. RB is also a a strength for sure. QB is pretty good, but honestly his performance has only been above mid pack. I think he is much better though and will show it this year.

Overall, our O is more talented, but parts of our D are no slouch. We just have some holes (and overall performance less than it should be) bringing it down. On paper, we have a pretty good defense, IMO. Even the LBs who everyone including myself think are playing badly have lots of talent. Either we have somehow managed to assemble a very gifted but non-NFL group of guys or something else is going on there.

While the O is more talented in total, I certainly think that the D talent is way more than enough to be respectable.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +672 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    I feel like you are setting me up to kick me in the teeth with my response. Here it goes. The D line a resounding yes just as good if not better than the O line. CBs are strong but weaker than the WR. But again, how many other CBs in the NFL can keep pace with Bears receivers other than Seattle? The LBs have good potential with all their athleticism now I hope they have the smarts to match that athleticism to improve each week, but they are defiantly weaker. Safeties, oh boy what a quagmire I'm just hoping they can be serviceable so obliviously no, they are weaker to than the O. So to your original question no they not equal talent to the D as compared to the O. BUT I'm hoping the D can get closer over time with experience(reps) like the O did last year.
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +582 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    287ß
    Correct. They are not equal...so why would you expect the defense to have the same turnaround the offense had?
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +582 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    287ß
    They are not equal...not even close in my opinion. The defensive line has improved, but I still have some questions at DT. Linebacker is what it is, and our safeties are average at best. On offense we have 2 number 1 receivers, a stud at RB, who is also a very good receiver, a very good TE, and a very good line and QB. It's not close.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,402 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    818ß
    I'm also hoping the unit gets better over the course of the season. The defense talent has been improved, and we're starting out healthy. I figure that should translate into improved play over last season. That's all I'm looking for. Just improvement. A lot of posters have mentioned the same thing. We don't expect top-tier defense, but just not continue to be in the lowest-tier. I'll be a mighty happy camper if the D is somewhere around the middle-tier (and thrilled if we were 15 or higher).
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,579 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    804ß
    That's fair. Everyone has their opinion. That is why we have different expectations. I don't think the talent level of the D is as bad as their production. That is one of the issues I am having with the defense. Now in less than a week, we will see if they were playing possum. Not sure why they would. The players try their best to do what they will be doing once the season starts to get their reps in, but Sunday will be more data to look at. They are playing the Bills, so I really hope they look pretty good. They are one of the easier teams we play this year.

BTW... I think we have 5 tough games in the first half and 4 in the second. Other than the second half is mostly played at home, they seem to be more equal than I thought at first.
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +672 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    I don't recall the O being essentially dead last when they made their assent last year. I only expect the D to be in mid teens so I don't expect them to be top tear D like the O. But I do expect significant improvement with the strong D line, solid CB's and LBs having potential with S's only needing to be serviceable. This should equate to turnaround D to NFL average not to the level of the O ranking of top 5 I am expecting.