Trestman not considering changes at safety

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Oct 29, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    FWIW.

2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Who would he replace the safeties with anyway?
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    It would HAVE to be a couple of guys who could step in mid-season and play significantly better than Major and Conte. I think they should get a couple of the Soldier Field beer vendors. They could have a raffle, and let Virginia McCaskey pick out the two winning tickets (maybe at halftime during a home game, so they could suit-up for the second half). Or they could open it up to all the food vendors (would it have to be guys, or could the lady vendors enter this too)?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Exactly
  5. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    250ß
    So, the conclusion is that the Bears have no bench. No matter how poorly Conte, Wright, Peppers,McClellin play,we're stuck with them. That's what Trestman is telling us. Of course, he doesn't use those words. I watched the video of that interview. I don't like Trestman. His interviews are an insult to our intelligence. Why can't he just speak the truth? Maybe he'd give us the old Jack N. line, "You can't handle the truth!" Well, I've got news for Trestman. We already know the truth. We talk about it every day on this board. If there is a worse starting safety than Conte in the NFL, I haven't seen him. I haven't seen Conte get a hand on a pass all year.
  6. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    What coach will tell you that his team sucks? That he has no bench?

What coach will throw his own players under the bus?
    • Like Like x 2
  7. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +483 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    I don't doubt some of the lady vendors could outplay Conte and Wright.

Seriously though, who would we replace them with? Steltz? Anthony Walters? That's all the safeties we have. T-man's not lying to us, he's telling us the truth. He's not considering replacing Conte and Wright, because he has no one to replace them with.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Honestly, as bad as they are, they're going to be exposed, even if they were Mike Brown and Troy Polamalu back there, with this defensive line. There's absolutely no room for improvement, whenever the wide receivers have all damn day to run their routes.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DavidL

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    250ß
    A coach can tell the truth without throwing anybody under the bus or saying he has no bench. He could just say, "We're starting the guys we believe give us best chance to win." Then shut up about it. I don't need to hear a bunch of phony rah-rah cheerleader bullshit like the following (all Trestman quotes this week..

"We are continuing to grow and get better,,,a lot of positive,,,We are in a good place...We are doing a lot of things really well,,,We executed very well"

Instead of all this crap, I'd like to hear him answer questions like,"With CornWash inactive, what the hell are you going to do if McClellin gets hurt in the Packers game?" His proverbial "next man up" on the depth chart is languishing on the inactive list.
  10. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I get what your saying David, but that is just the way Trestman or Emery sell it. Always going to talk up the players on the top of an under performing list.
    I just hope they are busting their assess behind the scenes to support and build up the weak links... That is why the action is the only thing that matters, and us fans will be a day late with the news good or bad.

With CornWash inactive your answer would be Bass or Wootton kicks out and Minter, Tupou, or Cohen fill in @ tackle. I'd bet.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,460 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    248ß
    I believe that's what Henry and I have been saying for awhile, there is no depth on this bench that is going to save the D this year. The D is absolutely devoid of depth b/c of a combo of age, inj, and lack of talent b/c of years of poor drafting by JA, and a huge whiff by Emery regarding Shea and Hardin. Again I saw this coming before the draft and mocked takign a S or CB in the draft, I was upset when they took Long when Sherrif Floyd was still on the table, not that it would have worked out this time but it's not like Floyd is horrible, sadly he's got less playing time and has looked very similar to Shea his rookie year, but the point is that I knew the DL was going to be an issue, if not this year, next year.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    I understand that all of us are frustrated with the season, but Trestman must be 1,000 times more frustrated. He's a competitive coach used to winning championships. Heck, he's a motivational speaker that folks pay the big bucks to hear - so he's not going to throw in the towel on the season. I'm okay with that (I hate quitters).

So he's trying to be positive. There are worse things a head coach can do.
  13. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,158 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Ah, the old "well who can we replace them with". Might not be able to be replaced this season but you sure can sit a guy for a game or two.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. DavidL

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    250ß
    Okay. I don't like his style in these interviews. I am done watching them. Henceforth, if he gives any useful information, I can get it here.
  15. DavidL

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    250ß
    If that is his answer, then my next question is, "Why the hell do you have 3 defensive tackles on the bench and 1 DE?" If you had CornWash active, you could rotate 4 guys at DE the whole game to keep your starters fresh for the 4th quarter. You still have two tackles on the bench. This is nuts.
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,460 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    248ß
    Remember, cornwash got his shot, and was benched in favor of Bass, who is actually playing pretty well and taking some snaps from Shea. It speaks volumes that Corn is not seeing action and Shea still is, and those volumes do not favor cornwash.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Because CornWash is not good enough to play. Should be fairly obvious by now. Especially if he doesn't get starting time fairly soon.
  18. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Wootton would probably prefer playing end anyways... You could shuffle things out IMO. Think of it as 4 D Line on the pine. I'm not counting CornWASH out either, it will be interesting to see who dresses down or how they address the line after the bye.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    Regarding CornWash, I haven't given up hope he could be a solid player. I just figure he may just not be ready yet. And I'm fine with that. It's not like he was a 1st round draft pick. This guy just probably needs more time......and for a late rounder or UFA that's usually the case. I'm still thinking he could be a solid guy for us, but later this season or even next season.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DavidL

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    250ß
    Here's my take. Play all the rookies to give them some valuable experience to get then ready for next season. If our DL and DB players are nearly equally bad, teams are going to have a lot of long scoring drives on them. In a high-scoring game, it gets down to who can get a defensive stop at the end of the 4Q. If you don't aggressively rotate these guys, the starters are going to be exhausted in the 4Q exactly when you most need them rested. All we needed to beat the Redskins was one stop at the end.
    • Like Like x 1