TRESTMAN SPEAKS: 8/19

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Aug 20, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,170 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Aug 19, 2014 | 05:45 pm
    [​IMG]
    Jeremy StoltzBear Report Publisher
    This story was originally published onBearReport.com.
    [​IMG]
    Full-text transcripts of Chicago Bears head coach Marc Trestman following Tuesday's practice.

MARC TRESTMAN

Well we moved inside today after the rain today and we had some very good work in the humidity and the heat yesterday. We did a lot of different things today. Number one is we’re still kind of in a training camp mode. Everybody’s getting work. We’re moving people around. We also did a little bit of work just to prepare for the game. We kind of split the day up a little bit just to give the guys a little bit of an idea of what they’re going to see. We also worked some cards for the defense just to get in tune to how we’re going to operate during the regular season. So that was good. And I’ll leave it open to questions.

ANY DECISION ON HOW LONG STARTERS WILL PLAY?

No. We haven’t made any decisions and we haven’t talked about how we’re going to play them on Friday night. That’ll come later in the week. Like I said, we’re kind of still in a training camp mode of working with guys and moving people around and we’ll sit down in the next day and a half and put together how we’re going to work them over the course of the game.

JARED ALLEN’S SHOULDER

It was a bruise. Just a bruise. Precautionary.

OPEN UP PLAYBOOK THIS WEEK?

There’s going to be 80 Bears or so going to Seattle. Our 1s will be playing against their 1s in the third week of the preseason. We’re not fully game-planning this team. We’re still going to go out and work. But there will be the match-ups we’re looking for. And it’ll be 1s on 1s for however long we do it. We haven’t made that decision either. So I think it gives us an idea of where we are in the third week one way or the other. These games can create perceptions that are not necessarily a case one way or the other. So we’re going to go against them and we’re going to play hard and they’ll play hard and we’ll see what happens as these match-ups take place throughout the game. But we’re not going to take ourselves to a place where it means more than it is. It’s a preseason game for a team trying to get better. And our guys are excited to go out and play in the noise, to get on the road. I think it’ll be good for our football team to go through that process of getting on a plane and heading west. That’ll be good for us. And playing the game the next night.

WHY THE GAP IN TIME BETWEENSANTONIO HOLMES’ WORKOUT AND HIS SIGNING?

Everything has its time. Over the years you’re working out people at all times during the season. And when the time seems right and we feel we needed to make that move, that’s when we did it. There’s nothing historically to say that the day you work out a guy, you sign him. That’s just the process here. There’s people coming into workout, we get a good look at them and if we need them, we call them. That’s basically how it worked with Santonio.

HAVE YOU DECIDED YOUR NO.2 QB FOR FRIDAY?

We really haven’t. I’ll let those guys know tomorrow. We’re going to talk a little bit more about it and I’ll let them know tomorrow. And like we did last week, I gave you 48 hours on that one. I think we’ll be in that place tomorrow to give you an answer.

IS THIS CHOICE AN INDICATION OF THE CURRENT STATUS OF THAT COMPETITION?

I think it’s a rotation. When we put this together, we’ll probably get together and we’ll discuss what the plan will be for next week as well so we continue to maximize the competition as much as we can. So part of it will be obviously who’s going to start. Jay will start. Then who plays next? And we’ll taken into consideration how we’re going to play the guys next week as well.

DOES SANTONIO PLAY FRIDAY?

I can’t say that right now. I think that we’re trying to get him to that place, I think I’ll know a little bit more after practice tomorrow. We’ll see where he’s at. We’ll talk to him and we’ll see or not if he’s ready to go and get some playing time. But he did get work today and he worked with different groups. So he got some reps and I thought he worked positively today. I thought there were some good things out there. So we’ll talk more about that tomorrow.

WHAT HURDLES DOES HE HAVE TO CLEAR?

I just want him to feel comfortable, to be able to go in there and perform and not put our team in position where his mistakes would create mistakes around him. We don’t want that to happen. We want to give him the best chance to succeed on an individual basis as well.

COMPETITION FOR BACKUP RB

I think it’s still out there. We feel that over the next couple weeks we’re going to see Ka’Deem, we’re going to see Shaun, going to see some of Michael and Senoris and get Jordan a few more reps as well. So we’re going to try to get them all in. How we play them this week is one thing but we’re going to try to get them all some playing time over the [last] six quarters, if the firsts are going to play around a half. I’m sure they’ll play into the second quarter. Whether we go into the third quarter or not, we’ll see.

JOSH MORGAN FRONTRUNNER FOR NO. 3 WR?

He’s had two good weeks of practice, two good games, productive games, he’s made plays out there. I think he deserves a chance to step up now and get the first opportunity to do that.

WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT MORGAN?

He’s a powerful guy. He’s a big guy. He’s explosive, he’s got straight-line speed, and he’s got experience. He’s the most experienced, other than Santonio, of any of the receivers that we have. He’s got more playing time, and that would’ve included Marquess. So we want to give him a chance now. He’s really worked hard in practice and he’s had two really good games.

COACHED IN SEATTLE?

It’s probably louder than most but most of these stadiums are extremely loud. It is one of the loudest certainly so we worked on it hard today. We were in the noise, very hard to hear, and we were in the noise in the huddle. Really the key is just getting the play in the huddle and if we go at the line, to get the play at the line. Because that communication is the most important. Once everybody knows the play, then it’s like playing in a vacuum anywhere because then you’re just focused on what you’re doing. The biggest thing is our communication: how does it work when our special teams are huddled on the sideline and can’t hear Joe? We’ve got to make sure that everybody gets the communication. How does it work for our defense when we’ve got guys out on an island? The key word is communication as far as everybody echo’ing out, signaling out what’s going on.

ICE-BUCKET CHALLENGE

I didn’t know I had a choice. My daughters were all over me. I didn’t even know what it was about until somebody pointed it out to me. I guess I have Jon Gruden to thank for that. But it’s for a good cause. Quite frankly I had a very close mentor up in Montreal, who played in the CFL for a long time, and passed in my time up there from the disease. I saw what that disease can do and whatever little we can do to help hopefully will go a long way in finding a cure and research to help those who are in need.

He was a great player up there and when I got into the league he became a friend and really did help me. He used to write me notes on the league and the rules and how to learn the league. He became a close friend and I saw him pass while I was up there so the disease does resonate.
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,170 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    In other words, don't over react if the team does not look crisp. They are once again not full game planning so the team may not look as good on offense or defense as you think they should.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +936 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    783ß
    This!!!!

There’s going to be 80 Bears or so going to Seattle. Our 1s will be playing against their 1s in the third week of the preseason. We’re not fully game-planning this team. We’re still going to go out and work. But there will be the match-ups we’re looking for. And it’ll be 1s on 1s for however long we do it. We haven’t made that decision either. So I think it gives us an idea of where we are in the third week one way or the other. These games can create perceptions that are not necessarily a case one way or the other. So we’re going to go against them and we’re going to play hard and they’ll play hard and we’ll see what happens as these match-ups take place throughout the game. But we’re not going to take ourselves to a place where it means more than it is. It’s a preseason game for a team trying to get better. And our guys are excited to go out and play in the noise, to get on the road. I think it’ll be good for our football team to go through that process of getting on a plane and heading west. That’ll be good for us. And playing the game the next night.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    Yep, as long as the team isn't missing a ton of tackles or lining up incorrectly(which we really won't know) then nothing else matters.
    • Like Like x 1