Trestman Speaks About McCown's Replacement..........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 29, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Trestman details prerequisites for Bears' backup QB job

By Dan Wiederer, Tribune reporter
    9:40 a.m. CDT, March 27, 2014

At present, the Chicago Bears have Jordan Palmer slotted in as their No. 2 quarterback, the current insurance plan behind Jay Cutler. Last year’s backup hero, Josh McCown, is now with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, readying to become a full-time starter again for the first time since 2007. And so Bears coach Marc Trestman and general manager Phil Emery are left to plan and adjust and cross their fingers that they can mold another backup as energetic, steady and productive as McCown was.

Palmer appears to be getting first crack at winning that job. And while Emery has indicated that when the free-agent market settles, he may want to try out some of the clearance quarterbacks left on the shelf to see if a viable No. 2 guy is available, that aisle has been picked through pretty thoroughly.

So maybe Palmer, who hasn’t thrown a regular season pass in the NFL since Week 11 of 2010, will enter training camp in July as Cutler’s backup. Or maybe somewhere in free agency or in the later rounds of May’s draft, another option can be found. Trestman said he’s “going to examine all possibilities” and knows what he’s looking for and what he wants from Cutler’s understudy.

The Bears coach detailed his hopes at this week’s NFL owners meetings.

“The No. 1 job of the No. 2 quarterback is to be ready to play and to play well,” Trestman said. “He has to. ... The best term is he has to go in and play efficiently. He can’t turn the ball over. He’s got to live for the next play. … But he’s a very, very important part of your locker room. Because he has to be ready to play efficiently and he’s not going to get the reps to do it. That was the No. 1 value of Josh. It still has to go to his ability to play the game if the No. 1 guy is hurt.”

Besides the positive energy McCown brought every day, his greatest value came in his ability to put points on the board last season when Cutler was out. His 66.5 completion percentage, 1,829 passing yards, 13 touchdown passes and one interception were statistical proof of just how ready he was when called upon. And that’s what the Bears hope to find in whoever the successor in that role is.

But there are intangibles that figure into the equation as well. And Trestman is certainly looking to find a No. 2 quarterback who can be fully engaged in his own growth and the development of the team.

“He has to be extremely good in the meeting room,” Trestman said. “Because that meeting room is the most important office in that building. Everything is controlled by the energy in that room and the camaraderie in that room and the karma in that room. So he has to be that guy. That’s really the most important thing. And if he’s doing that, he’s certainly going to be good in the locker room. The guys in that meeting room, in my opinion, have to be locker room guys. They have to be leaders. So that’s what we’re looking for.”

Can Palmer meet those criteria if he wins the No. 2 job?

“No question Jordan fit that,” Trestman said. “And he got better at it along the way. He was very quiet at first, kind of took it all in. But the quarterbacks respected him immediately because he went to work on his own to learn the offense. He spent a lot of time on his own. And once he learned it, he spent a lot of time mentoring the younger players after practice for those types of things and to get those younger players to develop.”

dwiederer@tribune.com
    Twitter @danwiederer
  2. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    As long as the next backup comes in with Josh like stats and performance, I could careless who it is. :-)
    Bear down!
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,123ß
    Do you think that maybe this will be Trestman's style (grab an old guy and ramp him up in your scheme) rather than a youngster? Maybe the guy prefers having an old vet as the #2 over a young draftee. I initially assumed Trestman would get a talented youngster. But if he can easily repeat his success that he had with McCown, then there's an endless supply for cheap vet that fits the mold of Jordan Palmer and McCown.

If McCown fizzles in Tampa, and Palmer flourishes as his replacement here in Chicago, then maybe Trestman truly is magical with QB's. Especially old vets.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß
    He may have a comfort factor there. He had great success with an older QB in Quebec.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That and you can not forget Gannon in 2001 with raiders.. Nfl MVP and super bowl after he was supposed to be washed up
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß
    Exactly. Because of all this, I am not going to panic if he brings in a guy I think is all washed up. He has already done that with McCown and it worked out pretty well. I'm just going to wait for it to unfold.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I do and I know Emery does as well or he wouldn't have hired Campbell or McCown over the Caleb Hanie's out there. Trestman doesn't want to have to teach a guy how to play the game he wants to teach him how to win in his offense. Jordan Palmer is damn near as old as Cutler. He's 29 and although he hasn't thrown many passes he's been around for a while so he must know something about playing QB.

There's still a need for a young QB to develop and there Trestman should make the call on who. After the 2016 season if Jay hasn't become "all that he can be" he risks being replaced and it might be a good idea if we had our own Aaron Rodgers developing behind him for three year too.
  8. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    I've said in a couple threads I don't think we are drafting a QB this year. We'd be better off taking a backup RB. At least he'd see the field and could contribute right away. Everyone is so worried about Cutler getting hurt. We have zero depth at RB behind Forte besides this Ford kid, and it's not like Forte is getting younger or can't get hurt either.

I think posters have this idea that Trestman comes in, takes a guy like McCown or Palmer or this young rookie everyone is clamoring to draft, throws him into some kind of shaolin training program where once they emerge they can magically play. I don't think that's the case. It's more, "Hey, this Josh guy is smart enough to learn my playbook, experienced enough that it will take less time, and desperate enough to put in the hours necessary to learn it. Here you go, Josh. Have at it. I'll be focusing all my time on teaching this book to this younger guy Cutler with the much stronger arm. He might not be able to learn it as fast, but the reward will be greater once he does get it."

Trestman said it himself after the Redskins game that McCown got no attention or reps from the coaches. Neither will Palmer if he makes it as the #2. What he did well was study the playbook and get himself ready to play. I know that sounds simple, but last season's backup QB success story does not go the same way if a dunce like Charlie Whitehurst is the #2 QB. I think what makes the difference is that it is Trestman's playbook, and that McCown was capable of learning it quickly because of his time coaching.

The actual existence of talent on the offensive side of the ball at WR, RB, TE, and OL gave McCown time and someone to throw the ball to very important too. But none of that works if the guy behind center doesn't know the playbook and how to run the plays.

We don't need to get into the business of developing other team's quarterbacks. That's risky and speculative. We need Trestman to focus on the one that's going to be here guaranteed for the next three years or longer if things work out. Just get a #2 QB ready in case the Bears need a stand in because of injury.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    I see this idea about Rodgers "developing" for three years behind Farve often on this board. That wasn't Green Bay's plan to have the guy on the bench that long. Farve was like 35 or 36 years old when they drafted Rodgers. Farve was doing his first "I'm going to retire... no wait, I'm coming back," nonsense for the 2006 season. The team was just preparing for his eventual leaving, Farve just dragged it out for three years.

The Bears have time to draft a QB in the next two years before it is an actual need rather than a want.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Oh yeah, I know that but it did pay off well for them because Rodgers came in with full knowledge of the offense and was able to hit the streets running. I'd agree that another RB to compete for that #2 spot would be good or we can count on a few vets being cut loose this June or during camp and maybe we find one there as well. We need more prospects than we have.

As for a QB prospect there isn't a kid who goes by Kwai Chang Caine in this draft is there? He'd already have the shaolin stuff down and we could move right into going through his reads. :lol-027:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Eh, you know, Aaron Rodgers would have been who he is earlier with the focus on him after a year of sitting the bench. Farve was actively trying to avoid the guy. Rodgers could watch Farve work, but it's not like he got to ask him questions.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yeah, guys as good as he is don't fall out of tree but whether or not he got to ask Favre questions isn't the point. He got to be around McCarthy and learn his offense in exactly the same way McCown learned Trestman's. Not by reps but by having enough brains to study it and pick it up and enough talent to work it when his time came. I'm not comparing the talent levels of the two just the way they achieved their respective success when eventually give the chance. And I also agree. Rodgers chance should have come long before it did.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,123ß

Thanks, that makes a lot of good sense. I think you're right. It's a different way of thinking than I've been used to. But it sounds like it's a repeatable formula for success at QB, and at a good value too.
  14. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    Another RB is an interesting thought. I like the QB's coming out and I believe here will be talent to be had in the mid rounds, but a RB? I'm sort of liking it!
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    There's quite a few RBs this year with fairly high ratings and with the way there value has dropped in general I'd say we might easily find a decent prospect to backup all the way down into the 5th or 6th round. There are no real elite backs but there's a ton of mid rounders.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    143ß
    I don't know about magical or guru. I would believe it's parts of focusing on the position, correcting the mistakes, instilling the philosophy and fundamentals, and demanding accountability and progress week end and week out.

Something that should be done with ALL positions, not just at qb.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Hey, I was just thinking about that we've been doing all this hand wringing over who is going to play backup QB, and I noticed there have been zero threads regarding the offensive line in quite a while. Isn't that awesome?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,123ß
    That is awesome. Kromer seems to be the coach that we hoped we had in Mike Tice. Kromer seems like the real deal when it comes to developing OL talent. And of course, Emery, has provided good talent there to work with. I just hope we can keep Kromer here for a few years.
  19. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    If the offense has any significant improvement this year, Kromer will have a lot of interest at the end of his contract.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,297 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    349ß
    I'll go even further. If the Bears O in general and OL in particular has another good year, Kromer is pretty much a lock to get a HC offer next year. The whole NFL knows the Bears' O & OL sucked for years and years and Kromer is going to get a lot of credit for the turnaround (if it continues). I don't think the rules allow you to prevent another team from interviewing one of your coordinators if it is for a promotion in position (to HC for example). So, AK should be a hot commodity in 2015 if he has another strong coaching year in '14.