Trestman: 'We vaccinate' players to prevent 'success flu'

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Nov 14, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    By Rich Campbell, Tribune reporter

2:48 p.m. CST, November 14, 2013

Bears coach Marc Trestman has been compared to a professor. Apparently, he can also play the role of doctor.

On Thursday, backup quarterback Josh McCown, when answering a question about the praise recently generated by his three productive outings, referred to Trestman's warning about "success flu."

Trestman later explained one of the finer extended metaphors of this Bears season:

"When the H1N1 was going on, and the flu bug hits, you get vaccinated so you don’t get sick, right?" Trestman said. "What we try to do was, the times when we’re having success and people are telling you how good you are and how good we are that it kind of stabilizes you. So we vaccine these guys, so they don’t make it about themselves.

"They realize the reason why we’re having success is because of the work and endeavors of others. And that’s really the definition of humility — when you understand that it’s not because you’re doing it well, it’s because all those people are putting you in a position to do well, and that’s what you’re doing for them.

"So the concept simply is that when you start feeling that things are going your way or you’re being given the credit, we have some syringes available, and we vaccinate them, and that stabilizes them to be more even-keeled and recognize that these guys around them, these coaches and these players around them, are the reason they’re having this opportunity to execute at a high level on the field."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...accinate-success-flu-20131114,0,6812147.story
    • Like Like x 2
  2. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +706 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    321ß
    I don't get it. I'm used to hearing about how much football we have left to play, and we like our guys and we'll tweak a few things. But stuff like this, "executing at a high level", or "others around you helping you play better", this just makes no sense to me. Trestman makes no sense to me. He's a football philosopher, not a head coach. Bring back proper coach-speak. Please.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    "Don't get full of yourself"
  4. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    LOL, if words were money Trestman could have saved a bundle just telling the team this.
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    I'm laughing to myself... I really like this approach. I'm not too big on people that that get full of themselves.

Reason I'm laughing is that when they tell the D not to get too full of themselves... I can see Emery saying "No... Really".

ok, so I'm warped.
  6. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    So, the concept is to piss away easy victories with mistake-laden coaching?
  7. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    Absolutely. I don't like Trestman's style in these interviews. Every time he talks I feel like I'm being fed a snow job. Others coaches do it,too,but Trestman is 100% pure.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    He is definitely not an electric speaker, but I love the candor. Honesty goes a long way.

I hate coachspeak.
    • Winner Winner x 1