Trestman whiffs on chance to make point

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 12, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    Steve Rosenbloom
    The RosenBlog

8:43 a.m. CDT, August 12, 2013

No, Marc Trestman, wrong answer.

You don’t say the demotion of J’Marcus Webb was part of the plan to look at other players. You say the demotion was performance-based and Webb’s performance in the opener was unacceptable.

Now, how difficult was that?

Besides, it has to be true. I mean, if Webb was the answer and had played well, then Trestman wouldn’t be moving him from starting right tackle to backup left tackle to try out a fifth-round draft pick.

Jermon Bushrod isn’t getting shuffled, is he? No, because he can play. Because he can do his job. Because he wasn’t voted Most Likely To Get Jay Cutler Concussed.

Webb has been a liability since he got here, and there he was, allowing a sack in his first game. In fact, he was beaten twice on the same play. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

So, not much has changed after the Bears’ new administration moved Webb from left tackle to right. Say it.

The guy didn’t perform well enough to keep his job this week. How tough would it have been for Trestman to say that?

Instead, Trestman confused the issue with some double-talk. The rookie head coach came out of the exhibition opener saying Webb has competition at the position, but then Trestman downplayed a move that reflects that competition. Huh? What? Why?

The rookie head coach muddled his original message for no good reason, unless Phil Emery is trying to trade him and told his coach to avoid explaining how lousy the guy is.

It can be argued Trestman blew a chance to answer a big question about his ability to command a room. Jerry Rice raised the issue last week with CBSSports.com. He played for Trestman in San Francisco and Oakland, and had big seasons under him. But the Hall of Fame receiver questioned whether the non-confrontational Trestman could command the locker room.

This Webbisode was scripted perfectly for proving Trestman could do it without screaming, threatening and cartoonish behavior. That’s the thing about commanding a room: Your speakers don’t have to go to Ditka’s decibel levels to make a point about expectations if you’re quick and decisive.

I’d say demanding that players engage in a padded practice two days after a game sent a message about unacceptable performances. We’re not at Club Lovie anymore, Toto.

Trestman didn’t say that, but he should have. He also should’ve said he demoted Webb for performance-related issues.

Or if the plan indeed was to look at other players, then extend the thought to explain that you’re looking at options only where starters aren’t playing well enough. It’s not tough love. It’s the truth. It has to be the truth for the entire roster.

Don’t downplay expectations. Don’t soft-pedal a right decision. That’s part of what Trestman did here, too, and that’s wrong.

Listen, the Bears are here to play football. It’s their job. Doing a bad job isn’t acceptable. Period. Bang. Next.

How difficult would it have been for Trestman to say that? How much more powerful and productive would that message have been for a new coach under scrutiny?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...trestman-rosenbloom-20130812,0,5328924.column
  2. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +485 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    I don't think it's so wrong. What you say to a player behind a closed door is one thing, what you tell him on the practice field or in a meeting room in front of other guys may be another. But what you tell the media is definitely a different thing altogether.
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    This guy is not much of a writer. When did he think he became Vince Lombardi? Stick to what you do (kinda) well.
  4. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Sounds like Rosenslam was looking at how he "commands" the pressroom . And he doesn't have to do that - but alot of the members of the press are egomaniacs who think they're way more important than they really are . C'est la vie .
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Rosenbloom has always been a tool. He's just an ChicagoTribune paid troll.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    He's generally a tool I agree but his point about not cowing away from saying what needed to be said about Webb is well taken. Any one with half a brain knows the Webb-demotion (even if temporary) was because of good and specific reasons--ie, a crappy camp and 1st PS game performance thus far by a guy who in his 4th year should be have better expected of him. Denying the obvious doesn't fool anyone.
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I disagree for the reason that we do not know what was said in meeting and one on one to Webb. It very well could be true that he told him flat out that his crap level of play cannot and will not be tolerated anymore. Who knows, but what you don't do when trying to win over a team is start calling players out to the media.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +950 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    254ß
    Anyone remember Webb tweeting that he won't be tweeting. The speculation at the time was that he was saying he was being benched and so therefore needed to focus more. Guess that speculation was right, and Rosenbloom is making a point that was already made one on one.

Given all of that, why does Trestman need to keep press comments consistent with coach on player comments?
  9. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +638 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    I agree completely; "Denying the obvious doesn't fool anyone", so why dis a player in public and potentially compromise the respect you are trying to assemble with the players when the obvious is clear to everyone? I understand where you are coming from MP, and the point you make is valid, as is the writers. However, there is more than one way to skin a cat and there is no "wrong" answer here. Trestman first needs to be true to his own style or sooner or later he will be seen as a fake by his team. If this is his style, then who is the writer to claim he is wrong?

Columnists and media types love controversay, so from his perspective, I'm sure he would rather see Trestman in the light that provides him with the most ammunition for his columns. Trestman's approach provides him the least.
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,002 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    212ß
    Ah yes, sports journalists picking apart what a GM or coach SHOULD be saying. It doesnt matter WHAT they say, all that matters is what they DO, and so long as his actions provide positive results on Sundays, thats all that really matters.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    There could be SO many things going on. He could have chewed on Webb in private, he may be a good enough people evaluator to have decided that the best way to motivate Webb might be to let him know he has to win the job and yet not to crush him in public.... We simply don't know wha has happened in private or how Webb handles adversity (or Trestman either for that matter).

I just think the whole thing is a non issue. Obviously Trestman is not happy and something has been said. If the guy thinks he is a better coach than Trestman, tat's fine. He called him out in public. Now, all he has to do is convince one of 32 owners that he can handle the situation better than Trestman. Otherwise, maybe an opinion without trashing someone might be the best approach.

For me, this is not about protecting Trestman... It's about some douche attaching a guys management style in public when he probably does not have all the facts nor anywhere near the credentials to do it better. I hate guys that can do it better when all they have is a pen in their hand.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    BiH, I don't know about not being able to critise b/c you don't have the creditials to do it better, but fact is Trestman is not the kind of person that would publically call out a player. By all reports Trestman is very personable, and really cares about all his players, I have no doubt that if Webb is on the verge of losing his job that someone like this would not call them out publically...I dont think you'll ever see Trestman give to much love or publically humiliate a player.
  13. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,002 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    212ß
    Yeah, i dont even know where this myth of coaches calling out individual players even comes from, i cant recall any HC calling out player for performance. They might call them out for their off-the-field antics and behaviors, but not performance. They always have some typical vanilla response when talking about demoting a player.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Just say:
    "We are evaluating all options at right tackle. We are looking for improved play at the position going forward. I have no other comment."
    Message delivered w/o tactlessly embarrassing someone by name. Though we are talking about a 4 year veteran professional football player who has rightfully faced a lot of criticism in public before.

When you say something so laughably phony like "there is no message or demotion here regarding Webb, it's just the natural experimentation of training camp", you look like a coward and a fool. The trick to giving a politically correct, wishy-washy non-answer-answer is to make it plausible enough to not have the audience laugh at you in sarcasm because its so transparently phony.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    MP, or you look like an honest coach that knew that Webb might not be the RT answer and already had plans to look elsewhere. He didn't look like a coward or a fool or say anything that probably wasn't accurate. Just like the Brown/Long thing Plan probably was to have Brown take all the snaps first week and have him start pre season week 1, and Long to do all the work week 2 and start game 2, why is it so hard that Webb and his backup were probably the same....although maybe originally it would have been Scott now it's Mills.
  16. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,449 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Rosenbloom is another Jay Mariotti with a little different style of going about it. I mean come on. Anyone who closes his videos with; "I'm Steve Rosenbloom, deal with it", is already advertising himself as being paid to be a hyper critical asshole. He used to write some amusing columns but now he just goes along searching for stuff he can criticize. If the Bears win a Super Bowl he'll find some way to bitch about who held the trophy during the photo shoot. It's what the Trib pays him to do so if we shoot the messenger we should also shoot the one who sent him.

But Rosenbloom's opinion aside I don't think it would have hurt on bit to have said outright that other players were being given their shot at the starting RT spot because he wasn't happy with the play at that spot. I mean that's only stating the obvious so there really wasn't much need to be so politically correct about it. Webb is what he always has been, a physically talented oaf with an oversized body and an undersized brain. It's still tough for me to accept Trestman and Kromer not allowing Carimi his shot at competing with him this summer. I'd still take him and his upside (if healthy) over Webb.

What annoys me more than anything is that when Webb was asked to rate his performance his response was that he needed to learn how to use his hands and feet better!!!! WTF!!!! If he was a rookie than maybe that would make some sense but after starting at OT for three years if you haven't learned the fundamental techniques used at your position I doubt you ever will. What he needs is a brain, focus, concentration and some heart and he lacks in all of those departments. He just doesn't "get it" and I have my doubts he ever will.

Someone suggested that Trestman kept mum on it because Emery may be trying to trade him, get something besides a stale loaf of bread for him, and let him become someone else's problem. Lord if he could do that I might forgive him for trading Carimi. In fact I'd be on the phone with TB this morning trying to find out if they'd be open for an even swap. Give us back Carimi and we'll give you Webb instead. I'm beyond ready to give up on him every becoming a decent NFL player.
    • Like Like x 4
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Ric, I realize we are debating a trivial point of media relations (though a lot of us got sick of Lovie's PR ineptitude). But this is hardly anything like the Long/Brown situation which is an open competition from the get go between two rookies/near-rookies.

This is a (somewhat controversial) 4th year vet/3 year starter who, despite tons of opportunities and benefits of the doubt and warnings about off-field distractions, still can't get his head out of his a$$ and deservedly got demoted from a job that was easily his to lose.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Thank you, Soul, for stating my position with better clarity. Even though Rosendoom is an insufferable, hypercritical douchebag, his point here is a valid one.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    MP, while I kind of agree, you are making my point. Webb was hardly a lock, and Emery actually liked Scott more then him. Everyone assumed that Webb was a lock, but shouldn't be, so why is it really hard to believe that Trestman and Emery had a natural plan to test if there was a better option?
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Webb was "assumed" to be a lock or at least RT front runner for very obvious and logical reasons. He's a 4th year vet with 3 years starting experience at both RT and LT, who's entering his contract year. Scott is a career backup journeyman who didn't start last season until Carimi flopped. Mills is a 5th round rookie.

No one with more than 5 functioning brain cells is fooled by Trestman passing this off as a "routine player rotation". When everyone knows your explanation is fake and FOS, you need to just change it into something more direct and honest.