Trestman whiffs on chance to make point

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 12, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01

I have more then 5 functioning brain cells thank you, and I'm not suprised by this. Could it be a load of crap, sure but it's equally likely that this, every intellegent O minded coach knew he had a load of crap at RT in Webb to begin with. I don't disagree w/Scott but Emery does so again it wouldn't suprise me if he was the one that was expected to push for the RT spot.
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68

You really think that Webb's demotion has no "meaning" or "message" attached to it? You really think ANYONE else would be be advanced to working with the 1s at RT if Webb was playing lights out? Come on now....
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01

Lights out? No, but he never stood any chance of playing lights out! He stood, at best a chance of playing "good enough" and if that's all you have then ya I believe they had a plan in place to see what else they had.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Show-off...
    • Like Like x 2
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68

We are splitting hairs of hairs now. Webb should be playing lights out (or at least "solid starter" caliber). He's in his 4th year now with lots of starting experience. He's been moved over to the easier side. He has a highly regarded OL coach. He's now in an offense that features mostly quick throws. He's coming off a pretty strong finish at LT from the second half of last season. And... It's his contract year for crying out loud!

Yet...he's still "looking at tape", "learning footwork", tweeting/facebooking about stupid shit when he was told to STFU, and getting dusted by Shea McClellin in TC & giving up easy sacks in games. Everyone knows what this demotion is really about so there was no one to fool and no need to protect or coddle J'Marcus Webb anymore. That's been done to death.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Damned if you didn't figure it all out MP. They told him to play lights out, and he thought they meant as if he couldn't see.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01

Why should he be playing lights out? he's a 4 yr late round pick w/the ability but not the drive to play at a high level? He should be a SOLID starter, correct, but if the best you can get is SOLID then why WOULDN'T you have plans to see what else you have on your team ?

Am I missing something? Did people really expect Webb to be more then he's really shown; a boarderline starter/swing guy? I'm stunned people didn't see this coming, that the team would probably would want to see if there was special on the team; or at least better then "solid"
  8. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Webb IS playing lights out. The lights out upstairs and he's gone to lunch.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

I used to be "okay" with Rosenbloom, but he's too pretentious to take seriously.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01

ZZ on the score update just said that OC Kromer stated that for Webb to make the final 8 on the roster(the team is going to carry 8 OL'men) he has to be able to play 2 positions(I would assume swing T) .

This guy is on the verge of losing his job...not just starting, not making the team, and anyone here really think that Trestman seems like a guy that would try and make an example out of him? Is that what you've gotten out of how Trestman acts, or what you've heard about him?
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

wow, we just posted that at the same time, with the same opinion lol. Yeah, even if Trestman were the guy to do that, verbally kicking the dog**** out of a bad player isn't going to make a point, but, say if Urlacher were still in his prime, calling him out on a bad play in front of the other players would let you know this coach is not one to mess with.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68

The point with Webb--and we all know this--is that he has all the physical tools to be a solid, even very good, OT. He's even had games where he played to that level. His problem is almost entirely mental. His lack of focus, dedication, and self-discipline has become legendary among those who know and follow the team. It's not that he's just a "bad player" who can't cut it physically. It's that he pretty much chooses to be bad and refuses to apply himself fully to his job at a professional level.

I have no problem calling a player like that out. Especially indirectly. I don't think he's been "made an example of" here (maybe ERod was to some extent a few months ago). I think he is finally being held accountable. Based on what Kromer just said--which was much more forceful than Trestman's wishy-washy nonsense a few days ago--Webb has basically lost his starting job already and is now fighting for the swing T spot. Pretty damning.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

It makes me even angrier that we ever had Tice as our coordinator, because someone else MIGHT have pushed Webb to adopt a better work ethic, and he might be useful to the current administration.
  14. ticat

ticat

He has just become polite with all those years in canada.lol The problem was webb not trestman, trestman did his job and moved him. This reporter must just be trying to justify his paycheck.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68

That's hard to say, Henry. As much as Tice pissed me off last year, I'm not sure I can blame him for J'Marcus Webb being an immature mental midget who didn't take his job seriously. Look at this season for example. Lovie and Tice are gone and a new coaching staff is in place with a new offense and blocking scheme. You would think a veteran professional athlete in his contract year would train his butt off in the offseason, learn the playbook cold, and come into camp ready to impress the new coaches and nail down his starting job.

Instead Webb is still making the same old mental mistakes/lapses and still paying more attention to social networking than to his freakin job. Not sure you can blame Tice for that.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Isn't that Bushrod's specialty?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

soulman

Scott didn't play any better than Carimi did last fall and Scott was playing healthy and Carimi wasn't. The bottom line here is that if Emery thinks he sees something special in Scott he's no more correct than Tice was for seeing something special in Webb. Right now what it looks like to me is that Emery is simply defending his decision to re-sign Scott and let Carimi go in EXACTLY the same way Tice defended Webb. I'm sorry Ric but his thinking it doesn't make it right.

IMHO Webb and Scott should both be gone and I'd be fine with Mills and Britten on the right side. Yeah it's a risk but those two at least have some upside. Webb is in a downward spiral again and Scotts ship has already sailed. If you're a good starting caliber NFL OT you don't bounce around the league like he has. Something's missing in him or Pitt would never have let him go. Those guys hold onto the OL the draft like a miser holds onto a buck.

We just need to wipe the right side of that line out and start over just as we're doing on the left side. With the exception of Garza those guys are all young enough and promising enough to start growing into a starting unit with quality backups. These are the guys Kromer can mold into a decent line. Scott isn't anything more than a stop gap solution and Webb will never get over his inconsistencies. Let's move on with the others and build the line from there. Look at who you had playing left to right last year and then look at who you have this year and there is no way in hell this bunch could be anywhere near as bad. But talent and skills alone don't get it done. They need to play some games together and become a working unit.

Here's my starting five and backups. Starters; Bushrod, Slauson, Garza, Long, Mills, Backups; Brown and Britten (or it could go Brown/Britten on the right side with Long and Mills as backups but those are the seven I dress on game day. Then keep a couple more OL on the PS after cuts have been made. We may even find a prospect or two from another team we can steal.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68

I find it hard to disagree with much here ^^^^.

From what I've read, they see Scott > Britton as a backup LT and Britton as mainly an RT rather than swing guy (hear he struggled badly at LT in camp). But, agreeing with Soul, I don't understand why they love Scott so much. He was merely so-so at best filling in last year, has never been more than a journeyman, and is now hurt.

I'm fed up with Webb and his lackadaisical attitude. I want him out of the starting lineup (if they keep his as the swing T that's fine). Lets go with someone who has a chance to be better because Webb is now all he's ever going to be.
  19. riczaj01

riczaj01

Soul, I didn't AGREE w/his thinking...I'm merely pointing OUT his thinking and what has happened. I wanted Carimi to stay much like I did Izzy, but they are not deal breakers, Carimi right now is struggling to win a starting spot in TB from a guy w/1 year experience in college football. The Hebrew hammer wasn't the difference maker you think he was/is.

I think you might well be right, but not the entire right side, just the RT spot. Long, even if not this year, should be good to go next year. At that point it's just a matter of getting a RT in either FA or the draft or preferably both.

I didn't like Scott so much either, but it is what it is, the team likes him(regardless of accuracy). I agree w/you on the starting five/backups but I think it's going to be Webb since he can play(even if it's horribly) both LT and RT and Britton cannot. The reality is the swing T is going to be Scott or Webb. I think Britton as a T is out of the question right now.
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

What's really annoying is that Eric Winston was there for the taking, but we kept Webb, because one would logically assume someone whose job is on the line would care to try to f******* fight for it.
    • Like Like x 2