Trestman whiffs on chance to make point

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,771ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    There could be SO many things going on. He could have chewed on Webb in private, he may be a good enough people evaluator to have decided that the best way to motivate Webb might be to let him know he has to win the job and yet not to crush him in public.... We simply don't know wha has happened in private or how Webb handles adversity (or Trestman either for that matter).

I just think the whole thing is a non issue. Obviously Trestman is not happy and something has been said. If the guy thinks he is a better coach than Trestman, tat's fine. He called him out in public. Now, all he has to do is convince one of 32 owners that he can handle the situation better than Trestman. Otherwise, maybe an opinion without trashing someone might be the best approach.

For me, this is not about protecting Trestman... It's about some douche attaching a guys management style in public when he probably does not have all the facts nor anywhere near the credentials to do it better. I hate guys that can do it better when all they have is a pen in their hand.

• Like Like x 2
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,887ß
    BiH, I don't know about not being able to critise b/c you don't have the creditials to do it better, but fact is Trestman is not the kind of person that would publically call out a player. By all reports Trestman is very personable, and really cares about all his players, I have no doubt that if Webb is on the verge of losing his job that someone like this would not call them out publically...I dont think you'll ever see Trestman give to much love or publically humiliate a player.

3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,882ß
    Yeah, i dont even know where this myth of coaches calling out individual players even comes from, i cant recall any HC calling out player for performance. They might call them out for their off-the-field antics and behaviors, but not performance. They always have some typical vanilla response when talking about demoting a player.

4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Just say:
    "We are evaluating all options at right tackle. We are looking for improved play at the position going forward. I have no other comment."
    Message delivered w/o tactlessly embarrassing someone by name. Though we are talking about a 4 year veteran professional football player who has rightfully faced a lot of criticism in public before.

When you say something so laughably phony like "there is no message or demotion here regarding Webb, it's just the natural experimentation of training camp", you look like a coward and a fool. The trick to giving a politically correct, wishy-washy non-answer-answer is to make it plausible enough to not have the audience laugh at you in sarcasm because its so transparently phony.

5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,887ß
    MP, or you look like an honest coach that knew that Webb might not be the RT answer and already had plans to look elsewhere. He didn't look like a coward or a fool or say anything that probably wasn't accurate. Just like the Brown/Long thing Plan probably was to have Brown take all the snaps first week and have him start pre season week 1, and Long to do all the work week 2 and start game 2, why is it so hard that Webb and his backup were probably the same....although maybe originally it would have been Scott now it's Mills.

6. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,201ß
    Rosenbloom is another Jay Mariotti with a little different style of going about it. I mean come on. Anyone who closes his videos with; "I'm Steve Rosenbloom, deal with it", is already advertising himself as being paid to be a hyper critical asshole. He used to write some amusing columns but now he just goes along searching for stuff he can criticize. If the Bears win a Super Bowl he'll find some way to bitch about who held the trophy during the photo shoot. It's what the Trib pays him to do so if we shoot the messenger we should also shoot the one who sent him.

But Rosenbloom's opinion aside I don't think it would have hurt on bit to have said outright that other players were being given their shot at the starting RT spot because he wasn't happy with the play at that spot. I mean that's only stating the obvious so there really wasn't much need to be so politically correct about it. Webb is what he always has been, a physically talented oaf with an oversized body and an undersized brain. It's still tough for me to accept Trestman and Kromer not allowing Carimi his shot at competing with him this summer. I'd still take him and his upside (if healthy) over Webb.

What annoys me more than anything is that when Webb was asked to rate his performance his response was that he needed to learn how to use his hands and feet better!!!! WTF!!!! If he was a rookie than maybe that would make some sense but after starting at OT for three years if you haven't learned the fundamental techniques used at your position I doubt you ever will. What he needs is a brain, focus, concentration and some heart and he lacks in all of those departments. He just doesn't "get it" and I have my doubts he ever will.

Someone suggested that Trestman kept mum on it because Emery may be trying to trade him, get something besides a stale loaf of bread for him, and let him become someone else's problem. Lord if he could do that I might forgive him for trading Carimi. In fact I'd be on the phone with TB this morning trying to find out if they'd be open for an even swap. Give us back Carimi and we'll give you Webb instead. I'm beyond ready to give up on him every becoming a decent NFL player.

• Like Like x 4
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Ric, I realize we are debating a trivial point of media relations (though a lot of us got sick of Lovie's PR ineptitude). But this is hardly anything like the Long/Brown situation which is an open competition from the get go between two rookies/near-rookies.

This is a (somewhat controversial) 4th year vet/3 year starter who, despite tons of opportunities and benefits of the doubt and warnings about off-field distractions, still can't get his head out of his a$$ and deservedly got demoted from a job that was easily his to lose.

8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Thank you, Soul, for stating my position with better clarity. Even though Rosendoom is an insufferable, hypercritical douchebag, his point here is a valid one.

9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,887ß
    MP, while I kind of agree, you are making my point. Webb was hardly a lock, and Emery actually liked Scott more then him. Everyone assumed that Webb was a lock, but shouldn't be, so why is it really hard to believe that Trestman and Emery had a natural plan to test if there was a better option?

10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Webb was "assumed" to be a lock or at least RT front runner for very obvious and logical reasons. He's a 4th year vet with 3 years starting experience at both RT and LT, who's entering his contract year. Scott is a career backup journeyman who didn't start last season until Carimi flopped. Mills is a 5th round rookie.

No one with more than 5 functioning brain cells is fooled by Trestman passing this off as a "routine player rotation". When everyone knows your explanation is fake and FOS, you need to just change it into something more direct and honest.