Trestman whiffs on chance to make point

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    That's on the coaches. They had tape and they should have known what they had.
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß

But, according to the tape, he was improving last year. What did him in was his performance in training camp.
  3. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    He did. He got MUCH better. But he was REALLY bad before the improvement. I'm not sure he regressed. I think that where he was was still not a lock down type T performance, and I think Trestman actually has standards that include the QB not having to be picked up with a spatula after the passing plays.
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    It could be part of higher standards, but I think the bulk of it is that J'Marcus just didn't give it his all this offseason.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    Could be Henry, but I tend to think that would have made a difference when the camp first started. We are already into preseason. Any effects of the offseason should be well behind him by now. At this point, my belief is that they feel that he just did not come as far as he should have from preseason to now. In other words, I don't believe this is the effects of the preseason as much as the lack of effect during the time he was supposed to be getting better.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    Ahhh, I get what you're saying, and I believe you're right.
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    Yeah Britten is not a LT and I guess my plan does leave us exposed at LT should something happen to Bushrod which is Webb's saving grace and all the more reason for his smug lackadaisical approach to his job. He figures that if he doesn't screw up too badly he'll still have a job and make a million dollars this year. Not bad for a kid who should be working at Mickey D's instead of just eating there.

What really pisses me off is that he's in a contract year and you think he'd want to be out there just blowing people up and yet he's back to looking almost as bad as he did when he was a rookie and he's still making rookie mistakes and struggling with basic pass blocking technique. For three years this guy has been nothing more than the NFL equivalent of a 16 year old female cock teaser. Sorry for the graphic description but nothing more apropos comes to mind.

He doesn't want it badly enough and that very plain to see now. He's lazy, under motivated, and not all that bright. If they ever do a remake of Animal House he should have a starring role. I've just completely lost all patience with him to the point where I'd even take Scott over him just to see him gone.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    Well said MP. That's exactly what his root issue is. We was a 7th round pick and he's been making a million dollars a year for a couple of seasons and I really don't think he cares if he gets better or whether he gets a better deal or not. For him any NFL career at all is self-actualization. I can't see any motivation in him to become better. All I see is a guy whose been kept around mainly because we had no alternatives other than him and he had an OL coach who protected him.

He still believes that all he needs to do is continue doing what he has just well enough to avoid getting cut. I don't think he even cares whether he starts or not. His paycheck is the same if he's just the swing OT and he doesn't have to work as hard. This kid is an all time under achiever. He's the proverbial C student and he'll never rate higher than that as a football player either and the problem is, that's just fine with him.

I guess if we're forced to keep him for depth at LT then we do what we have to but Phil Emery better get off his rusty dusty and find someone somewhere on a waiver list than can play LT and then he needs to draft another one next year or mold Long for that spot. I'm just sick and tired of watching that lazy oaf trying to pass block and allow the sacks and pressures he does.
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,192 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    Well what I was saying was under the assumption that Kromer has higher standards for his offensive linemen. I would agree with you if Tice hadn't had 3 straight years to work with the brickhead, and if he's just not "getting it" this year, what makes him any better the two previous seasons? Not necessarily arguing with you, I just think that if Tice had a higher standard for Webb, he'd have either been gone by now, or finally adapted to the NFL.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    Well put, Soul. I meant to throw a line like that in my prior post but failed to do. I'll put it this way:

It's become obviously apparent that Webb will do only the bare minimum (learning, dedication, hard work, etc) necessary to get by and keep a job. Nothing more. Nothing extra needed to "develop" and improve and step up his game. All our hopes to the contrary have been proven fruitless. If a "D" is required to pass, Webb will exert no better than a "C-" effort.

He's never had true competition before which explains why someone so un-dedicated to his professional responsibilities has managed to make rosters and start for 3 straight years and come into his 4th as the de facto starting RT. And he may indeed squeak by another season as a swing since the only alternative we have as a backup LT is Scott who is A) nothing special and B) currently hurt. That probably explains why Webb was so nonchalant about losing his starting role on the depth chart. It's maddening, isn't it?

My hope is that somehow Mills or Britton nails down the primary RT job and Scott gets healthy enough to man the swing. Then we can just cut this joker and be done with it.
  11. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'd rather they just leave Webb be and in the starting lineup. He had one really bust play, it wasn't like he was a totally horrible first game. Mills was barely passable against scrubs.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    Yep, we've read quite a bit about the standouts and the surprises in camp so far but no one has had one positive thing to say about Webb, not one. I'd say that's because no one is very surprised by his lack of effort and his play. Cutler seemed thrilled that two rookies were gonna be manning the right side of the line this week and he's not one to say something positive about stuff like that if he's not feeling it. When that's the case he either hems and haws or says nothing.

He can't be please with Webb and it doesn't sound to me like any of the rest of the players are either. Nobody appreciates a camp goof off who thinks he's got a job locked up. The coaches made their displeasure known and he's now nothing more than a swing OT for now and either he steps up and takes his job back or when Scott returns may even lose that swing spot. Webb just seems far happier cuttin' bait than he does fishing so send him on down where the catfish bite and he can cut bait there.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    Either you aren't seeing the whole picture with him or you don't want to. How many plays was he even in for? Sox, it's the same old story with him. He's not consistent, you can't depend upon which guy will show up from week to week and he's not getting any better even though he's been moved to a position he should be playing better at.

At least for the next two weeks I'd rather find out whether we have anyone whose any better and has the potential to be more than just a below average OT who seems content to be just that and no more. I'm fed up with him as simply a hanger on because we lack an alternative. We never will have if we don't start to develop one so let's see what Mills and Britten can do while Scott is still sidelined.

It isn't JUST his play! It's his attitude and his entire approach to the game. He's an immature kid whose not growing out of it and it's just time to find other solutions.
  14. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I didn't count, but he certainly looked better than Mills. Webb will be starting at RT week one, just put him in and let this unit start building a rapport.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    I'm surprised you feel that way with what we know about his chronic lack of work ethic and dedication. And it is not like he had "just one bad play in a preseason game", he's sucked the entire camp and cares more about padding His twitter account than he does about legitimately earning his job. It's time for new blood.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß

This may be more of the same. Carimi is gone (and maybe even healed up he would not stand out), and the guys that are left are either middle of the road or need more play to get better. So once again, he may win by default and keep the job.

What I think is shaping up here is that despite what Emery wanted to do next year, it looks like he will have to modify it because the OL still needs some serious attention. It is much better, but it is not fixed. The real question is "Is it operational enough to allow us to win, and if so can we win against teams that put lots of defensive pressure on".

I can see it shaping up to be another Cutler chicken and egg thing. If we continue to lose to good teams because they can get to Cutler, half the board will say Cutler just can't win against good teams and the other half will say that no QB can win when he is running for his life. I thought this was over, but I bet it will live for another year.
  17. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Until someone proves they suck less, he's the guy who should be getting the real reps there. Mills couldn't even prove he sucked less against C-teamers.
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,423 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    Webb is the poster boy for most failures in the NFL, it's not that they don't have the physical tools, it's that they either 1) do not want to take the beating, or 2) do not want to apply themselves and take it to the next level. Webb has all the physical attributes you want of a OT in the NFL, but he doesn't want to put in the work, that's obvious, AND he's not one that likes to fight, one of the things that the coaches apparently really like about Long and Mills is that if they get beat they don't just give up, they get angry and fight. They are both "Maulers" so even though they are inexperienced they have the right attitude for the job.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    That may be true but at least with Mills there's a chance he could improve with some game experience and some good coaching and at least for the next game or two I'm willing to find out and so it seems is Cutler. We already know what station Webb's train stops at and if you're right and we are stuck with him once the real games begin then at least give the rookie some time with the number one unit now and let him improve his game if he can.

With a guy like Webb it won't make any difference at all whether he plays now or he doesn't. When the season starts he's gonna be the same inconsistent wreck he's always been because he has no real grasp of the fundamentals and from what I'm seeing he never will. If Kromer can't fix him then he can't be fixed or maybe a better term is WON'T be fixed. He's lazy, under motivated and willing to get by solely on his physical attributes and that ain't cutting it. I believe that's more than just an opinion as well. He's shown it time and time again and even with a chance for a fresh start this year he's still showing it both in camp and in games.

Mills was rated as a decent RT prospect coming out of college and given a shot at it in a year maybe he can be coached into becoming a decent OT. With Webb unless he gains some maturity and starts taking his play seriously in another year all he's gonna be is one year older and the same guy we've been watching screw up for three years. If Webb wants to play he needs to show that he deserves it not just getting his RT spot by default which is what you're suggesting sox. That's what he's counting on happening and this time it needs to be different.
  20. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think Trestman did miss an opportunity to set an example. Webb didnt improve last season until he was on the hot seat especially after the cutler blow up. Someone has to light that fire for him cause he is not self motivated person and is content with what he is

in the meant time why not try Long at RT