Trust, respect important to Trestman

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, Aug 6, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    958ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

Bears players are spending three weeks in training camp honing their skills and refining their techniques. But developing trust and acting with respect and humility is just as important to coach Marc Trestman.

Continue reading...
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,354 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    I have a feeling that this guy is going to be a very special coach. Maybe a modern day version of a Halas or Lombardi. Not a copy of either one of them, but rather an innovative coach who can motivate men to be champions.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,538 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    727ß
    IMO, he has proven he can change an offense overnight and I really like his philosophy and where he is trying to go and trying to build. I've really come to like the guy.

Now we need to see some success in terms of the postseason.

This is the most positive I have felt in a while. Even when Lovie came in and had initial success... I am even more positive now because I think the seeds are being sown for long term sustained success, and I think that is what most fans want.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    Anyone else feel like the timing of this article is purposeful to emphasize the Bennet suspension reasoning?
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    Do you think it a cynical attempt to manipulate public opinion? I would be shocked!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,354 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    It certainly is being presented now, after the Bennett thing, to help us understand the vision here. Trestman is very transparent - in contrast to Lovie who would mouth the same old screwball sayings that meant nothing. Lovie would just mumble how he "liked our chances" and always thought "there's a lot of football left to play" and of course "Rex is our quarterback." It got old. Real old after awhile.

Trestman is full of energy and life, and he values the fans enough to share his thinking, his plan.

It's a great article letting us (fans) know "The Plan" for getting the Chicago Bears back to relevance again. This is his vision to get us back to winning championships again. He has presented this to the players. Now he's trying to share the vision with the fans too. He believes in "Team" being greater than individuals, even if those individuals are stud players. No prima donna divas fit his plan. Trestman "gets it" that a bunch of talented individuals - not playing as a team - do not win championships. The poster boy for this is probably Detroit. That team has had awesome talent - but no super bowls. But the Bears now have talent supplied by Emery, and Trestman wants to mold a great team. It's not the Black Unicorn Bears that will win a Super Bowl, but rather a rock solid Chicago Bears TEAM. It's all about the TEAM.

Trestman is trying as hard as he can to get Bennett to get with the program and get his head screwed on straight. Bennett can get with the program and be welcomed back with open arms, or he can refuse to humble himself - and in that case he will never rejoin this team. It would be a damned shame, but Trestman is making the right decision here. The monkeys can't run the zoo, as it was during Lovie's tenure. We need a head coach with a vision, and the drive to attain that vision. Bennett can get on board or get out of the way. But the TEAM is moving on.
    • Like Like x 7
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  7. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    We get off the bus running the football!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +650 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    332ß
    The reason Trestman system works is because in football parts are going to go missing so every replacement part has to be on the same page. Josh happens to perform miraculously when J goes out the O-line performs like nothing we have seen before. Oh, you say what about the D? Yes, don't touch the D Trestman he was told because the D is perfect keep it all the same as he was essentially told last year. Guess what they told him to do this year to the D? Break it and put it back together like you did to the O last year. Mindset, philosophy guys buying in sharing the same goals if a cog doesn't mesh with the machine the cog goes. Get it Marty? "Welcome my son...welcome to the machine."
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,538 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    727ß
    uh-oh... the Emery kiss of death...
    • Like Like x 4
  10. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    250ß
    I don't know that it serves as a counter point to the philosophy of Trestman, but Bernstein offered up a provocative - to piss off and rile up fans and generate page views certainly - take on Trestman's words. Not much on substance, but heavy on verbose style (just read these sentences to get a feel for that verbosity:
    Bernstein: Trestman’s Words Need Wins

August 7, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Dan Bernstein

(CBS) So the Bears are like magical moths, now, or something?
    “We’re a part of something bigger than ourselves,” Bears coach Marc Trestman said, enjoying the chance afforded by the suspension of tight end Martellus Bennett to indulge his desire to wax philosophical. “That’s a transformational process. It doesn’t take one week, it doesn’t take one month. It may not take a year. It may take more.”
    Dude. As an e-mailer to the Boers and Bernstein Show asked yesterday, “Is Trestman coaching football or training monks?”

I know this is part of the deal with Trestman, as we figured out shortly after he took this job. He’s just an odd bird: on one hand a practical, law-school-trained mind who approaches tactical strategy with a detached sense of logical analysis, and on the other something of a hippie spiritualist – a true believer in the applied value of new-agey ideas to the workplace.

That this workplace happens to be a patch of grass on which massive angry animals are paid to rip each others’ arms off is what makes this interesting.
    Bennett is one of these mercenary millionaire beasts, but his behavior ran afoul of the law of Trestman’s land and earned him temporary banishment. As if reading from his own book, Trestman explained his expectations.

“The overriding philosophy is to get to know each other, to develop levels of trust between each other – coaches and players, players and coaches – and to define our behavior through respect and humility,” he said yesterday. “We’re going to respect everybody around us. We’re going to treat them in high regard, and we’re going to understand what humility means.”

With all due respect to those lovely ideas, I would like the Bears to define their behavior through not again having the NFL’s 30th-ranked defense in both yards and points allowed. But I’m silly that way. There’s nothing wrong with being nice to each other, of course, but this isn’t some binary world in which anything short of corporate team-building retreats of rope courses, trust-falls and walking on hot coals must somehow result in a locker room full of Richie Incognitos. Once that ball is in the air, it’s still about smashing people so hard they spit blood.

From all accounts, newcomer Lamarr Houston has already been involved in multiple on-field shoving matches and scuffles with Bears teammates, playing each rep to the echo of the whistle in a way that flares tempers. I have no idea how that relates to respect and humility or the giant oneness that binds all living things, and I’m confident in thinking that he doesn’t, either. He’s trying to destroy the quarterback.

And this quarterback is at the center of the Trestman-as-guru narrative. Jay Cutler continues to have preconceived stories projected upon him, as he has learned to sprinkle enough buzzwords into his typically blasé comments to play along. He’s the same guy with the same skills, albeit older and wealthier. There are some who can’t wait to lap up the gooey story of his rebirth under new mystical guidance, but the rest of us understand what it means to finally have satisfactory pass-blocking and a pair of All-Pro wide receivers built like NBA small forwards.

Trestman could write the book he did because he won titles in Canada. After he hoists those Grey Cups, he can package whatever philosophy he wants and is free to run his training camp as whatever kind of kibbutz compound he desires.

All those cultural concepts of supernatural metamorphosis were put in place last year, and the Bears were 8-8.
    For any precious process to be more than self-indulgent drivel, those numbers have to undergo a transformation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article is premised on the ridiculous idea that a coach can't have a philosophy that people buy into until that coach wins a ton of games, when the argument behind having a philosophy is about putting a belief set in place that facilitates winning a bunch of games. By the way, the Bears 8-8 record last year was pretty damn good considering the adversity the team struggled through and if 8-8 is the depth of the Bears plummet - well there wasn't ever a plummet to begin with.

The other part of the article that I felt compelled to comment on was the
    Berstein presents the two sides of Trestman as incompatible with one another, two contradictory beliefs that make him an "odd bird." But a look at last year's Superbowl Champion Seattle Seahawks might make one reconsider the negative diction in "hippie spiritualist" and "new-agey ideas." Consider Pete Carroll's positive vibe and music pumping practices and maybe the "law school trained...logical analysis" part of Trestman is the same part that realizes that this "new-agey [idea]" is a proven way to win championships, like he happened to do in the CFL which to me stands as quite a bit of proof that this philosophy works.

I'm not ready to give Trestman the coach of the year award and I'm not ready to anoint him the 21st century Ditka, or the equal of Pete Carroll or Bill Belichick, but I am willing to buy into the philosophy of trust and respect not as "hippie spiritualist...new-agey ideas" but as foundational principles used throughout time and throughout platforms to motivate men. In fact, I would say that every coach in the NFL subscribes to these principles, it's just their commitment to them and their enforcement of them that is questionable. Trestman's commitment to them, up to this point, is not.

I'll pour myself another cup of the Bear's brew, because it's tasting mighty sweet at the moment.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    I have found most of the coverage on WSCR (Dan Bernstein's employer) to be consistently on message about the Bennett issue. Almost like they were given their talking points.

Like B-ell-y-iot, I am willing to let this play out and want to support Trestman on this.
  12. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Its 1 thing like Houston to have a high motor, and always full speedplay making having a few pushing matched... But Bennett going out and slamming people and not be remorseful, that is a problem Unfortunately this day and age we all gotta watch our P's and Q's, be mindful of hurting someone's feelings, politically correctness, effing Health and Safety acts there is little room for the old school hardass coach's..The hippie minded coaches now are running the show and hell!!!!!! If that brings a Superbowl to DA Bears!!!! Give me a daisy and I'll paint rainbows on my Dodge
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +650 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    332ß
    No, the days of just being a big dumbass football player are going by the wayside. Coaches today now want big, fast and really SMART football players. The game is evolving and requires more thought and counter moves. If your coaches or players aren't up to it time find someone else something Jerry Jones has no F'n clue about.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,354 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    +1000

The game and players have evolved. I'm glad we have a coach who understands this. If we want the old ways then we should re-hire Wanny, Jauron or Lovie. Of course, we didn't win any Super Bowls with those kind of coaches, but maybe it would make Dan Bernstein happy. LOL, I've picked turnips out of my garden that are smarter than Dan Bernstein.......maybe that's why Bernstein likes the old school meathead (dumb) coaches. To each his own...
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  15. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    About Bernstein and his ilk . . .

Something I read years ago that has resonated with me ever since, "The incompetent cannot judge competence in others."

Explains a lot when we think about it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    262ß
    I'll quote one word in the article - " drivel " . Definition : what happens every time Borestein opens his mouth or takes pen to paper . Another MEdia geek who never made the team who's own level if self importance should embarrass him , but should not go under estimated .

On the other hand , I watched the Andre Reed story on NFL Network today , and one of the things mentioned numerous times was that the Bills of that era treated each other as a family first and played the game in a way that meant that they didn't want to let each other down . An attitude fostered by Marv Levy - and I think that this is what MT has in mind about the way he's building this team .
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,538 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    727ß
    You mean since Hurd left?
  18. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß

Indirectly yes. Trestman has made it clear that what happens behind closed doors stays behind closed doors. He's not about to embarrass anyone with specifics about discipline issues but he's not above laying out his agenda and letting anyone who cares to read between the lines.

It's also pretty obvious he willing to put a key player on the bench or even off the team if that's what needs to be done in order to make his point. Seems to me it's the iron fist inside the velvet glove approach and I like it. Bennett was a test of his coaching authority and so far he's winning.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß

In this case I don't think so and it really wasn't in Carimi's case either. Carimi was given a choice just as I believe Bennett is being given a choice now. Either he wants to be a part of this team and accept the way it's run for everyone's benefit of he doesn't.

I guarantee you Emery may lose some sleep over it but in the end he'll have no problem trading Bennett if he doesn't want to go along with the plan and he'll get a lot more than a 6th round pick for him. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    It's a bullshit article written by a guy who loves to hear himself talk. The best coaches pro football has ever known have all operated on similar principles of camaraderie and teamwork. Vince Lombardi, George Halas, Don Shula would not have tolerated Bennett's attitude following that scrape with Fuller and that's the part this moron doesn't get. It wasn't just the episode itself it was Bennett's challenging the authority of his HC following it when he said he didn't see any reason he should be fined. That's as good as saying I plan on doing this again whenever I feel like it. I can afford the fines if they do.

Within limits bashing opponents 'til they bleed is what pro football players are paid to do but bashing ones teammates in a practice or a controlled scrimmage is not. I totally agree that's there's nothing incompatible with Trestman's approach as far as winning games and building a team that consistently challenges for championships and the way he handles conflicts between his players. In fact his approach is the only on that WILL work.

The circumstances aren't the same but the basic premise is. A team needs rules and the HC sets those rules. Follow them or you're history. In the era before players agents multi year deals were rare and the players themselves were called in each year to negotiate their salary for the following year. I use that term "negotiate" very lightly here too. It was more like this is what I'm gonna pay you "take it or leave it" ergo Ditka's legendary comment about GHS and "nickels and manhole covers".

Vince Lombardi had told his players that he would negotiate their salaries only with them as individuals and not with an outside agent. That was his rule and everyone knew it. When Jim Ringo his All Pro OC showed up for his salary meeting with Vince contrary to "Lombardi's Law", and with him it was law, he brought along his agent. Vince greeted them in his office and then excused himself saying he had something to attend to before they began. When he returned a few minutes later he looked at Ringo's agent and said "you're in the wrong place mister'. 'Your client is playing for the Eagles now". That's a true story.

No matter how valuable a player may have been he wasn't more valuable than the system Vince applied to turn a losing franchise into a winning one and become one of the most respected coaches in NFL history. As GSH himself said Vince Lombardi was the only other NFL HC he ever addressed as "coach".
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
    • Like Like x 1