Trust, respect important to Trestman

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, Aug 6, 2014.

1. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +545 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    587ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I have found most of the coverage on WSCR (Dan Bernstein's employer) to be consistently on message about the Bennett issue. Almost like they were given their talking points.

Like B-ell-y-iot, I am willing to let this play out and want to support Trestman on this.

2. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    202ß
    Its 1 thing like Houston to have a high motor, and always full speedplay making having a few pushing matched... But Bennett going out and slamming people and not be remorseful, that is a problem Unfortunately this day and age we all gotta watch our P's and Q's, be mindful of hurting someone's feelings, politically correctness, effing Health and Safety acts there is little room for the old school hardass coach's..The hippie minded coaches now are running the show and hell!!!!!! If that brings a Superbowl to DA Bears!!!! Give me a daisy and I'll paint rainbows on my Dodge

• Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +765 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    527ß
    No, the days of just being a big dumbass football player are going by the wayside. Coaches today now want big, fast and really SMART football players. The game is evolving and requires more thought and counter moves. If your coaches or players aren't up to it time find someone else something Jerry Jones has no F'n clue about.

• Like Like x 4
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,451 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    4,039ß
    +1000

The game and players have evolved. I'm glad we have a coach who understands this. If we want the old ways then we should re-hire Wanny, Jauron or Lovie. Of course, we didn't win any Super Bowls with those kind of coaches, but maybe it would make Dan Bernstein happy. LOL, I've picked turnips out of my garden that are smarter than Dan Bernstein.......maybe that's why Bernstein likes the old school meathead (dumb) coaches. To each his own...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  5. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß
    About Bernstein and his ilk . . .

Something I read years ago that has resonated with me ever since, "The incompetent cannot judge competence in others."

Explains a lot when we think about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +634 / 2 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,092ß
    I'll quote one word in the article - " drivel " . Definition : what happens every time Borestein opens his mouth or takes pen to paper . Another MEdia geek who never made the team who's own level if self importance should embarrass him , but should not go under estimated .

On the other hand , I watched the Andre Reed story on NFL Network today , and one of the things mentioned numerous times was that the Bills of that era treated each other as a family first and played the game in a way that meant that they didn't want to let each other down . An attitude fostered by Marv Levy - and I think that this is what MT has in mind about the way he's building this team .

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,449 / 13 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,522ß
    You mean since Hurd left?

8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß

Indirectly yes. Trestman has made it clear that what happens behind closed doors stays behind closed doors. He's not about to embarrass anyone with specifics about discipline issues but he's not above laying out his agenda and letting anyone who cares to read between the lines.

It's also pretty obvious he willing to put a key player on the bench or even off the team if that's what needs to be done in order to make his point. Seems to me it's the iron fist inside the velvet glove approach and I like it. Bennett was a test of his coaching authority and so far he's winning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß

In this case I don't think so and it really wasn't in Carimi's case either. Carimi was given a choice just as I believe Bennett is being given a choice now. Either he wants to be a part of this team and accept the way it's run for everyone's benefit of he doesn't.

I guarantee you Emery may lose some sleep over it but in the end he'll have no problem trading Bennett if he doesn't want to go along with the plan and he'll get a lot more than a 6th round pick for him. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    It's a bullshit article written by a guy who loves to hear himself talk. The best coaches pro football has ever known have all operated on similar principles of camaraderie and teamwork. Vince Lombardi, George Halas, Don Shula would not have tolerated Bennett's attitude following that scrape with Fuller and that's the part this moron doesn't get. It wasn't just the episode itself it was Bennett's challenging the authority of his HC following it when he said he didn't see any reason he should be fined. That's as good as saying I plan on doing this again whenever I feel like it. I can afford the fines if they do.

Within limits bashing opponents 'til they bleed is what pro football players are paid to do but bashing ones teammates in a practice or a controlled scrimmage is not. I totally agree that's there's nothing incompatible with Trestman's approach as far as winning games and building a team that consistently challenges for championships and the way he handles conflicts between his players. In fact his approach is the only on that WILL work.

The circumstances aren't the same but the basic premise is. A team needs rules and the HC sets those rules. Follow them or you're history. In the era before players agents multi year deals were rare and the players themselves were called in each year to negotiate their salary for the following year. I use that term "negotiate" very lightly here too. It was more like this is what I'm gonna pay you "take it or leave it" ergo Ditka's legendary comment about GHS and "nickels and manhole covers".

Vince Lombardi had told his players that he would negotiate their salaries only with them as individuals and not with an outside agent. That was his rule and everyone knew it. When Jim Ringo his All Pro OC showed up for his salary meeting with Vince contrary to "Lombardi's Law", and with him it was law, he brought along his agent. Vince greeted them in his office and then excused himself saying he had something to attend to before they began. When he returned a few minutes later he looked at Ringo's agent and said "you're in the wrong place mister'. 'Your client is playing for the Eagles now". That's a true story.

No matter how valuable a player may have been he wasn't more valuable than the system Vince applied to turn a losing franchise into a winning one and become one of the most respected coaches in NFL history. As GSH himself said Vince Lombardi was the only other NFL HC he ever addressed as "coach".

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
    • Like Like x 1