Tucker discusses scheme, personnel

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Chicago_66, May 16, 2014.

1. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Most interesting Q&A in my opinion is:
    http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...ersonnel/12e61468-df0d-49b7-a6b2-d263216b3b67
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +735 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    698ß
    Nice read, pretty std answers: Everyone is competing for a job and best man wins. Pretty much sums it up
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,507ß
    Yep, not much info there. It makes me wonder if he's just being secretive or if he still doesn't have clue about how he plans to scheme things. I gotta say that he still doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I've always thought that McClellin had the goods to play at SLB in a manner very similar to how Rosie Colvin was used but the real question is will they use him that way? He also talks about different alignments and run fits which to me says he may use more two gap stuff than he was using last year. That was one of the questions Pasqualoni put to Ferguson. Could he play a 2 Tech NT where he's lined up directly over the OG as opposed to a Shade NT where he's off the OGs inside shoulder between the OG and OC.

I'll be anxious to see how he approaches it with the personnel he has but IMHO there's absolutely nothing wrong with a one gap system if it's played correctly. We didn't have much problem stopping the run with it before last year so was it the system or just a bunch of players without the talent or the experience to execute it? I guess Tucker is gonna continue to make me suspicious until he proves he has a handle on things.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,353 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    Yeah, but maybe he "likes our chances" and feels "there's a lot of football left to play" and "the sun will still come up in the morning" if the defense sucks again this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +565 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    269ß
    Talent can make the worst scheme seem great and a lack of talent can make the best scheme seem horrible.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    717ß
    And vice versa
  7. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    717ß
    I like all I am hearing about Shea
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,507ß
    Ah hell I'm gonna stop worrying about what he says and just focus on what he does. We'll know soon enough if he's got game.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    I feel the same way about the defense in general (including Mel's ability to be an effective coach). We'll know soon enough.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,507ß
    Maybe this will help us to visualize some of the changes in the scheme we might anticipate.

Bears begin installing new alignments in 'flexible' scheme.

The Bears are staying with a 4-3 as their base defense and traditionally have used one defensive tackle as a “nose” working one center-guard gap, and the other as a three-technique shaded to the other guard’s outside edge. But new line coach Paul Pasqualoni, during a visit by defensive tackle Ego Ferguson to Halas Hall, talked to Ferguson about being able to work as a two-technique, meaning head-up on a guard.

It was a small early look at some of the changes taking place in the Bears’ defense, beyond simply some new faces, who were busy learning the NFL and a changing Bears defense. That also suggests at least another element of “flexible,” the watch-word for this season and it could put real pressure squarely on reigning nose tackle Stephen Paea regardless of whether Ferguson is head-up on a guard like a “zero technique” nose tackle would be on a center, or working a gap in the Bears’ iteration of a nose tackle.

“We’ll have the flexibility to line them up [in multiple spots],” Pasqualoni said. “We train the guys in all the techniques and alignments up front. Even though it was the first day, each of those guys aligned in about every alignment you could align in [Friday], whether it was in individual or group period. “So they were exposed to everything, from a stance to a footwork standpoint. We like to do that this time of year just so we have a good evaluation of what their strengths are and what their weaknesses are.”

The Bears thought enough of Ferguson to use their second-round pick, 51st overall, on the LSU tackle, who was a dominant run-stopper in the SEC but now is tasked with more. “I’m doing a little bit of everything,” Ferguson said. “They’ve got me playing all over the place so I’m just trying to learn. But I’m getting used to it.”

The Bears followed the Ferguson choice with the selection of Will Sutton, defensive tackle from Arizona State, in the third round. That puts a young three-technique in place, creating a roster squeeze behind starter Jeremiah Ratliff. Sutton has played primarily the under-tackle on his way to two consecutive Pat Tillman Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year awards. “I’m a three-technique,” Sutton said simply, but mentioned the possibility of switching to nose tackle and Ferguson at three-technique.

General manager Phil Emery built for the present this offseason with the re-signings of defensive tackles Ratliff and Nate Collins. As he did with cornerback Kyle Fuller in the first-round, he also stocked for the future, selecting Ferguson and then Sutton. Emery drafted absolutely in line with an objective of getting bigger in general, with Ferguson listed at 315 pounds, making him the biggest defensive lineman currently with the team. Sutton, more athletic and more experienced, is listed at 303 but expected to play around 295.

Ferguson also represents another Emery pick with a decided emphasis on upside rather than being a safe pick. Ferguson did not start until his junior season when he started 12 games and collected his one sack to go with 3-1/2 tackles for loss.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    717ß
    Exactly. What's in the past is in the past. He either can do the job or he can't
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß

Yep, I think we are all struggling to do what we need to in terms of just throwing out last year. Deleting it from memory. It was horrible and miserable to watch. There are things that are burned into our heads that we need to forget. In my mind everyone (Tucker included) has a clean slate, and a short leash. TC will come around soon enough and then we can see what we can do on that side of the ball this year. Last year is in the past, gotta move forward.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,507ß
    My delete button is working OK Grizz. It's just the nagging ghost image on my screen that won't go away that's troubling me. :3 8 14[1]: :rofl2:
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,962 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    best think you can do is just throw it out like an old hard drive and get a new one. last year was like a dumpster fire, it was a complete and total implosion on a mass scale w/everything going wrong at once. Anyone examining the complete data would throw it out when done b/c there just no verifiable information on what happened and why, for everything you might point out, there was something else that happened and then another and so on.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß

New year, clean slate. All we can really look to now. We have a completely different unit with some serious depth now.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,962 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    a much different unit, a much different, not just scheme, but philosophy on D. This is going to be a much smarter team then the Lovie teams, like on O last year how the entire team needed to know what the other positions were doing, it sounds like the D is going to do the same thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    717ß
    That just makes the whole team play better -- as a real "team". People knowing how the other guy has to react because they have played there too. I like it. As long as they can coach it, it is great for the team.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Love that, knowing what everyone else is up to gives you a fuller concept of the defense. You're not just doing your job, you're doing your job with the knowledge of what function it performs within the greater concept of the entire scheme. To me it's more of a pull your weight so your teammate can do his job was well type of thing. Having a fuller understanding helps everyone. You're a unit, not just a player.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,962 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    I think the positional coaches change is going to make the bigger impact for this team then the actual scheme change. They have real talent now, and the coaches just have to mold that talent to what they need out of them.
  20. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    I could buy into that. The guys developing the people we have need to be good if we want to be a team that builds through the draft. Emery can get the most NFL ready, talent filled, high upside players he wants.. but if we don't have the coaches in place to get the most out of them it doesn't really matter. Talent only goes so far. That was a huge issue with the JA era, we never saw progression. We had people like Drake trying to develop our receivers and if Hester ever did have a chance, it wasn't with Drake. I feel like Johnny Knox could have been a lot more than he was with us even before the injury, he was out there raw and he stayed raw.

Let's hope that Bostic and Greene start showing signs of why Emery drafted them, same with McClellin. There was an article talking about Christian Jones picking the Bears because we have Reggie Herring and he thought he could get some good coaching. Lets see if that translates.