Tucker: Round 2

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I tried to find the old Tucker thread but came up empty.

I personally thought Tucker should have been fired last year no questions asked. Matter of fact, I thought Emery should have been on an elevator down to the field with his pink slip after that sorry excuse for a game ending drive where GB converted 3 fourth downs and the last was a 40ish yard TD.

But the past is the past and Mel will be back at the defensive helm again.That being said, what are all your feelings now? THERE ARE NO EXCUSES THIS YEAR. Emery has went in with a take no prisoners approach to giving him all the tools he could need to make this unit successful. I personally still have some serious nerves about his ability to get us out of the gutter and I don't think there is any reason we should finish in bottom half of the league. I hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't know. I think if we hit week 8-10 and this unit is struggling again, then an assistant should take over the DC role. Don't want to see another season tank due to a serious underachieving defensive unit.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Major changes are
    1. Healthy set of DT's
    2. Massive upgrade at DE
    3. Tillman, Williams and Briggs healthy so far
    4. New position coaches at DL and LB who presumably come with Tucker's blessings

Theoretically no scheme can work with the worst run defense in the league. It's just impossible to stop anything if you don't stop the run. Same with pressure on the QB, if we can't get any then it becomes too easy for the good ones to beat you.

Let's wait and see what happens in the draft as we are still short on talent at safety as well as back up corner and probably another back up tackle would be nice.

Again injuries and failure to adapt to the scheme can cause problems for this defense but there is no excuse now not to be above the average in most categories I believe.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    I can't see them watching playoffs hopes dashed by a non-performing defense two years running. I believe that's one thing this Jared Allen signing is all about. Even after all of the signings we were still short of top pass rushers and lost Wootton in addition to Pep. Allen takes care of the issue from the right edge and if Houston plays lighter and faster than he did in Oakland he could easily equal Wootton 7.5 2012 sacks, provide more consistent pressure and play the run much better. Being able to relieve Allen with Willie Young should also help him stay fresher.

But even after all that it's still the inside rush that makes this 4-3 defense work. They still have to address that issue either with who they have or in the draft. Melton was a key cog in that pass rush and finding someone to replace the sacks and pressure he was able to bring is still a big need going forward from here. John "Moon" Mullin addressed that in an interview and questions whether the Bears are better off now than they were at the beginning of last season before injuries decimated the defense. He wasn't saying they weren't but rather to judge more honestly after the excitement of this signing is past.
  4. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    You know, we are not in the long-term process here, Allen signing just made it perfectly clear, we wouldnt sign him if it was something for the future. Phil sees we have a real nice O, who knows whats gonna happen with Brandon next year, hes contract is up, age and injuries are lining up, also Briggs and Tillman will be gone... I think were gonna make a run in next 2 years and see where it takes us
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    It's hard to say "no excuses" b/c I think if most of us before the year had started last year would have said no excuses for a bottom 25 ranked D. DL breaks down w/inj's again and we'll just have to see.

No excuses unless barring another catastrophic fail in the inj department. Briggs/Williams/Tillman/Allen/Ratliff/Houston all go down in the first 8 weeks and that's "no excuses"? And before you skoff, only 1 of those guys, Houston, shouldn't be expected to go down; and right now the team has no one to replace all of them at this point, after the draft it might change but we'll have to see how the team constructs itself.

I will say I expect(a healthy D) to be ranked no lower then the 15-20 range. I'm assuming you'll see a FAR more aggressive approach that we haven't seen from the Bears in a LONG time. I would guess we'll see any and everyone on the D side blitzing occasionally. DL, LB and DB on down. I think you'll see a ton of line movement also.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,382 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    794ß
    1. It looks like Emery has done his FA job by giving Mel solid FA's. Emery will add some studs to the mix in the draft. The talent will be there for a rock solid defense this year.

2. Trestman has done his job with the offense. He took the talent that Emery provided and has built a rock solid offense with the talent provided. Now it's Mel's turn to deliver with the D.

3. Tucker is out of excuses this year. No, he won't have perfect talent at every position. Yes, he'll get even more talent in 2015 for the defense (Trestman will get some additional talent too for the offense in 2015). But the bottom-line is that Mel has to prove he can take this solid new talent and put a solid defense on the field this year.

4. The injuries will be there this year, just like every team has every year. That is not an excuse for Mel to put a crappy team on the field. The better coaches overcome injury woes and still make the playoffs (and in some cases win super bowls in years of devastating injuries). No more excuses or whining. Mel better deliver.

5. This 5th one really gets me hopped up. I don't believe having a great offense, has to equate to a bad defense. A team can still have a respectable defense, even if it is primarily offense-oriented. Emery will provide the personnel for Mel to have a respectable defense. Having a decent offense AND defense is not mutually exclusive. That's just not true. No excuses.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 7
  7. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +841 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    756ß
    It's do or die for Tucker. No more excuses, we need to see progress in week 1.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +331 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    JABF, I really agree with your point 5!

When you have solid offensive and defensive units they can feed off each other and make each other better. If the offense get a 10 - 14 point lead early, the D-line should be able to take off on the opposing quarterback and the defense giving the offense a short field should help in scoring.

If you are going to be a serious contender, you have to have both.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Half your starters being injured for a majority of the season is an excuse? Sorry, not buying that one. A lot of you seemingly just want to dismiss the fact that Tucker has been part of a defensive reclamation before, taking a Jacksonville unit that was amongst the worst in the league, and making it a top 6 unit when he took over play calling duties. Injuries will kill you if you don't have depth in this league and thats what we saw last year. How effective do you think our passing game would be if Marshall and Bennet were to go down for the season and Jefferies missed a large number of games? Thats effectively what happened to our defense. If they stay healthy, they will be better...that much is a given.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Thank you. I tried arguing a few months back that Tucker had only got 3 full seasons on defense in Jacksonville and his last season was marred by the fact that he had only 5 players on defense to play for significant lengths of time of time. He also vastly improved the Browns secondary when he was their DB coach.

Anyhoo, I think Bears fans are making a bigger deal about Tucker than they should be. Emery and Trestman retained him, so that, logically speaking, means they believe the "injury excuse" validates him staying another year longer. Also, I think it should seriously not have to be said, that Tucker is gone if he has another bad year. Of course he is, but Emery hasn't given him the kind of talent that Trestman has on the other side of the ball, UNTIL now. Vast upgrades at every position (Peppers-->Allen, Wooton---->that guy from the Raiders, Wright-------->tebow----->no one at SS right now)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,382 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    794ß
    I posted statistics about this a couple of months ago. The Packers won a Super Bowl with more injuries than we had on defense last year. And there were teams (that same year) that had more injuries than the Packers - and they still made the playoffs (the Colts were one of the teams that year). Injuries are a way of life in the NFL. Every team has to deal with major injuries every year. We will this year. This is the reality of football at the NFL level. Of course fans like to trot out excuses for not making the playoffs, and this is a well-used excuse. But in the end, the great teams find ways to win, even with major injuries. We gave a number of games away last season. And it wasn't due to injuries. Just my 2-cents worth. I'll be honest here. I get tired of the Bears and Cubs fans trotting out the excuses for not winning championships. In the end, you're either a winner or a loser. We haven't won a championship in over a quarter century. Like the Cubs, we're becoming "those lovable losers" and we (fans) are too fast to accept losing. I'm through with excuses. They're for losers.

EDIT: But I do understand that this is how Bears/Cubs fans deal with not winning championships. It's how we cope and not lose our minds. Some day though, it would be nice to actually, you know, WIN some championships here in Chicago with the Bears and Cubs.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    We will see. I will commend him for his effort to be on the sidelines halfway through last year. I'll give him this much that he seemed to "get it" that the unit was unacceptable and something needed to be done. Injuries will happen somewhere and they must be overcame within reason. I hope Trestman and Emery let the dog off the leash so to speak and let Tucker run exactly what he wants and knows. No more keeping Lovie's calls and keeping a Lovie like scheme in order to keep some of the vets happy. Lovie is gone and is not coming back. We need to let Tucker run exactly what he wants and knows in order to truly evaluate him. That was the only excuse I gave him last year, that he was handcuffed to some Lovie like defense. Other than that, things must change.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    The Packers did NOT lose key starters on D the way the Bears did, the amount of losses are not NEAR as important as the losses of KEY components.

List the players they lost and compare them to:
    DJ Williams Starting MLB
    Lance Briggs Starting WILL Pro Bowler
    Melton Starting DT Pro Bowler
    Collins backup DT, considered by the team AS GOOD as Melton
    Tillman, Starting CB Pro Bowler
    Wootton moved from DE to DT so he's lost

5 of 11 STARTERS lost, and 1 significant backup lost. Lets see who the Packers lost.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    When you have depth behind your starters injuries are less of an issue. We did not have the requisite depth, that much is obvious and admitted, and some of our depth ended up injured as well. Depth is not a coaching issue, thats a front office issue. The issue here is with Tucker so, yes, injuries are a problem for him because they impact what he's able to do from a scheme stand point. As for your example of the Packers, that defense, while banged up still had 4 pro-bowlers play every game that season. Did the Bears have any of their former pro-bowlers play every game last season? You don't think if Matthews/Collins/Williams/Woodson went down that season would have gone differently? The only impact starter that team was missing on defense for a majority of the season/playoffs was Morgan Burnett. Thats a whole lot different than losing Briggs, Melton, Collins, Williams, Tillman...wouldn't you agree? It's not an apples to apples comparison.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,881 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    877ß
    Last year we had the "Jay Cutler no excuses tour"

This year, appears to be Mel Tucker's turn to take that tour
    • Like Like x 4
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,382 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    794ß
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, and God bless ya for wanting to give the team a pass for last year. I mean that. And I will be the first to admit that I'm bitter (overly bitter) over the lack of championships with the Bears and Cubs over the past many years. After 1963 I began rationalizing the seasons and like one of those "lovable loser" fans, I'd just put on a smile and talk about "next year" and how "next year" would be different. I'd trot out a very plausable excuse and just "live with that" in hope that "next year" would be different. Of course the years and decades passed with no championships for the Cubs, and 1 lone SB for the Bears, in 1985. It seems so long ago now. We trot out the old geezers from '85 and relive the glory year. Even Obama had 'em to the White House not too long ago (the ones that are still alive).

But I finally got tired of making excuses. I'm fine if others want to make them though. I'm not trying to make folks feel bad here.
    • Like Like x 7
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Theres a difference between excuses and reasons. Having all of the impact starters we lost on defense miss a majority of the season is not an excuse for a poor performing defense...it's a bonafide reason! You can be upset, I'm upset...but I also realize what happened last year, and it was unprecedented! No team lost the amount of impact starters we lost and were successful...thats life in the NFL. Now should they have had better depth? Absolutely. Should they have drafted better in the past? Absolutely! Which one of those is Tucker responsible for? Was he in charge of the draft for the last 4-5 years? Is he in charge of signing players and managing our cap? Last I checked thats not in the DC's job description. This thread is about Tucker and if he can do the job. I believe he can, and I believe there are REASONS as to why last year did not go as planned.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,881 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    877ß
    All reasons are excuses, but not all excuses are reasons.
    • Like Like x 5
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    a=b doesn't mean b=a!

all fried chicken is chicken, not all chicken is fried.

tebow is a qb, not all qb's are H-backs.
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Yep Benj that's exactly what it is. We keep talking numbers in terms of injuries. I have numbers for you 161.5 and 5.8. Rushing yards a game/play an opponent averaged. Are you freaking kidding me?!? Almost 6 damn yards per attempt? That's horrific for a high school team let alone a pro team. Heres 2 more numbers. 91 and 3. I'll give you a hint, think our last defensive series. Would I give him a pass if we were in the mid 20s due to injuries? Yeah. But dead last in most stats, and some by laughable margins. God I hope he gets it together this year, either that or dosent make it to the bye week.