Tucker: Round 2

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Mar 27, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,331 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Funny b/c Cutler didn't have a great year and was inj'd again, and heard a ton of excuses.....
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I've been doubting Emery's true commitment to a win now approach but his moves this spring have dispelled that notion. I agree with you 100%. If you're resigned to a complete rebuilding of your defense you don't sign the guys he has. Of the four DEs he signed since FA began one is 29, one is 32, and two are 33. Houston is the only guy still in his mid 20s. That has win now written all over it. So does bringing back Willams age 31 to play MLB and re-signing Jennings (30) Peanut (33) and Hayden (30) as well.

So if Emery plans to get younger on defense he's certainly gonna have to do it through the draft which to me means at least for this year he has to focus on players who he feels confident enough about to know they can take over for some of these vets in another year or two at most. It also means to me that he's gonna be heavily dependent on Tucker and his staff to make far more progress preparing those rookies and 2nd year guys to become starters than he did last year.

I believe he'll try to address every position where he has a need for some youth and a need for depth so that's DT, MLB, CB and Safety. About the only thing he doesn't need is more DEs and OLBs. We can't discount UDFAs either. A few of those are already on the PS and could win roster spots and we'll be adding more after the draft.
  3. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    Josh made us forget all about it, Jay was better this year, but if his replacement was awful Jay would be crucified
    • Like Like x 1
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    The D is going to improve by the influx of talent, guys coming back from injury, and getting used to the Tucker way. We might improve 5-10 spots by default but that does not mean that Tucker is competent or capable of the defense playing sound fundamental football or that this D has turned the corner.

I'll reserve my judgment for Tucker's in-game coaching decisions and how he coaches in tight games.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The second two sentences I agree with Henry. Trestman got his line rebuilt last year and the TE he needed and this year Tucker is getting his line rebuilt and the SS he needed. It all starts in the trench's so he's taking the correct approach plus he added starters in two other spots that were extremely weak. He's done all this and still has 7 draft picks to fill other spot and add some youth as future starters.

But I don't agree that fans are making a bigger deal out of Tucker's failures last year than they need to. He's probably the first coordinator in NFL history who took a top five defense to second to last in just one year and still kept his job. Added to that is his previous record of having just middle of the pack defenses with poor pass rushers and there's definitely same cause for concern. The Bears legacy is built on strong defenses that won championships. Bears fans know this and expect a strong defense.

I believe that force alone is just one factor that's prompted Emery to move as aggressively as he has getting Tucker the starting caliber players and quality depth he has so far. He's not fooling around playing the edges like Angelo did. He's striking directly at the heart of the problem and in essence telling Tucker that if he can't succeed with this bunch then he might as well look for work elsewhere.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Yes, but there are valid excuses/reasons and invalid ones and having the skill to tell them apart is always helpful.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    And that was Tucker's and his staff's greatest failure last year. Not having the backups well enough prepared to play. That's exactly what we saw with Tice and Campbell. Jason Campbell is not a bad QB. He did well in Cleveland last year and he's still sought after as a #2 QB. But Tice had him very poorly prepared to start and he looked like crap. All we need to do is look at the difference on McCown's readiness to start vs Campbell's. Tucker didn't fare nearly as well in that regard and it would be wise to never let that happen again.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    :36_1_55[1]: :36_1_32v[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    That's a great example. Do you really think even with the missing guys that our DL would have gotten it's teeth kicked in the way they had if Maraneli had still been here. Rob would have taken someone's helmet and lined up as a 3 himself if that's what it took. No, lack of perpetration and progression is on Tucker. For gods sake, Bostic and Comte got worse over the course of the season. The only thing I give Mel is I think he was handcuffed to Shea starting and some ghosts of Lovies defense. This year let the dog off the chain and see if he sinks or swims.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    To start, HE didn't take the Bears from top 5 to last "alone"...as I've stated ad nauseum the unprecedented injuries played a large hand in that. And I've already dismissed the comparison's to other teams. Nothing has compared to the loss of impact players we had last year on D. Here's the bottom line, you need talent to win in this league. The Bears have great defenses...no doubt...you know what all those great Bears defenses had? GREAT TALENT! I'll add great talent that stays healthy! If you look at Tucker's time in Jacksonville, I think you'll find that when his talent stayed healthy he was a very capable DC...as 2011 shows. And on those Jacksonville teams...who was the stud defensive end that was going to demand respect from opposing defenses? Jeremy Mincy? Come on now.

I agree though...if the defense stays healthy, and does not show marked improvement, Tucker should be gone.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,331 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Grizz, YES I do beliebe they would have got their teeth kicked in.
    Shea got his teeth kicked in w/Hot Rod and Lovie, Wootton had NEVER played inside and for a good reason, Peppers was not trying last year by all accounts, and Paea was playing hurt. Name the guy that would have played better on the DL if Lovie and Hot Rod had been here; you cannot. A player that stops playing cannot be fixed, a player playing who cannot plant his foot is not going to be effective no matter the coaching, and Wootton is NOT FIT for DT regardless of the coaching.
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    The Packers lost 1....I repeat 1 major impact player from their defense for the majority of that season/post season. McCown fared better because he had a competent OC, and markedly better talent surrounding him than we gave Jason Campbell. Campbell would have done very well here last season.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,331 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    That wasn't even the same D as what was there under Lovie, Izzy, Roach, BU, Tillman, Briggs, Melton, Wootton, Collins were all key figures on the Lovie Top 5 team, none were there, and the 1st three wouldn't have made a difference had they been on the team last year.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Yes, they would have gotten their teeth kicked in because the talent level differential was ridiculous.
  15. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    Valid excuses are reasons.

Our team lost half it's starting defense.

Valid excuse which is a reason as to why the D was so bad

The ref blew that call and that is why we lost.

Bullshit excuse, not a reason.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,714 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    Hopefully this will all be a moot point and the team, and Tucker, will do just fine. I'm excited about the team, and looking forward to the draft and then going on my annual pilgrimage to training camp. FWIW, I'm looking forward to the Cubs having a great year too. We'll see how it all unfolds. And if they go another year without a championship, well, there's always "next year" to look forward to. Those "lovable losers" ya gotta just love 'em. I've loved both teams (Bears & Cubs) for over 50 years now. I'm used to all of this cycle.

:bearbang[1]:
  17. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +706 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    321ß
    [quote="JustAnotherBearsFan99, post: 46067, member: 386"]Hopefully this will all be a moot point and the team, and Tucker, will do just fine. I'm excited about the team, and looking forward to the draft and then going on my annual pilgrimage to training camp. FWIW, I'm looking forward to the Cubs having a great year too. We'll see how it all unfolds. And if they go another year without a championship, well, there's always "next year" to look forward to. Those "lovable losers" ya gotta just love 'em. I've loved both teams (Bears & Cubs) for over 50 years now. I'm used to all of this cycle.

:bearbang[1]:[/quote]

I hope so too. If it does, I'll be the first to say I was wrong about Mel and his Tuckered-Out Defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Losing the architect of the defense (Lovie), it's Operations Manager (Marinelli), and it's primary Production Manager (Urlacher) were too much all at once. Even without the injuries there still would have been some issues because we lack both quality depth AND field leadership. Whether it was wrong to retain him or not is a moot point now but since we are it only makes sense to let him try his best to resurrect it.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I'd accept that as a reason for a decline but not one that took us from the top five to the bottom two. Many other teams have fared better despite injuries. Part of that's on Tucker and part on Emery as far as not doing enough planning for those injuries or the loss of other key players. But that was last year and it's in the rearview mirror for me. All I'm focused on is what's ahead and hoping they are too.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Name the teams that have fared better when they lost 5 impact starters from their defense and had others banged up.
    • Like Like x 1