Tucker: Round 2

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    While I completely agree with how to beat them, other teams also know this. The problem is not in figuring out the gameplan, the problem is that it's hard to execute. Rogers has this nagging ability to complete a pass under pressure and Lacey does not seem to want to go down easy. It's easier said than done. Those are two good players to have to stop and not many teams seem capable of stopping both for an entire game.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    508ß
    Rodgers is a master of stepping up under the wide speed rush of the LDE behind his RG and then hurting you there with his arm. Killed us a million times like that. Strangely one of the few times he failed to convert that play was last year when he took a little too long and Shea looped back around to get him. That's where pressure and penetration from the 3T make a huge difference.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    yeah... that's why even with the crappy (really crappy) S play, I still think the DT is where we need to be with the first pick. Somehow though, I don't think we will be.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    508ß
    I have no freakin' clue what Emery is thinking so all we get to do is argue about it for the next 6 weeks until we get the answer May 8th. Donald/Buchannon in 1-2 would make me very very happy.
  5. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    yeah... works for me too.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    508ß
    Have Phil phone it in.
    We'll take an order of Donald with a side of Deonne please...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    That's because Kurt Warner and the other talent he had retired years earlier like he should have done. Ziiiiiiinnnnnnng. :lol-027:
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Emery did make the point that while Melton wasn't exactly burning up the track on his pass rush early in the year his presence still had to be accounted for and he was a difference maker in the run game. We both know that in the 4-3 one gap the 3 tech's play is to shoot that B gap and disrupt the blocking or make the tackle in the backfield. So when Emery said that it's an important position in their scheme and that the whole defense is driven from it he meant it. It is. If that DT gets past his blocks everything can get messed up back there.

Like I said in the Conte thread when he and Wright weren't playing behind a Swiss cheese front seven all of those missed tackles wouldn't even have needed to have even been attempted and instead of having to always be aware of a runner breaking free the Safeties can focus more on coverage. You don't bite on a play fake when you know they can't run against you. The whole thing begins to get preposterous when people, the media included, start talking about stuff they haven't even got a clue about. I'm not a football coach but at least I have a basic grasp of the way the game is supposed to be played.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Right there is what so many fail to grasp about a 4-3 one gap front. Run or pass it's the penetration of that one guy who makes it work for the rest. When he was on his game Melton made his share of plays but he also made it much easier for the others to get their shots in too. We got 14.5 sacks from Izzy and Wootton coming off the LDE and LDT spots because they were playing next to Melton who had a Pro Bowl year of his own. Players and coaches understand it but probably less than 10% of the fans who watch do.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    The real benefit to this is that after all of his FA meanderings and signings he's got 31 other teams guessing just as much as we are. The mocks and gurus who a week ago had Donald or Jernigan as the pick have now divorced themselves from that and started picking Safeties and CBs. This despite the fact that we almost never take Safeties that high (Carrier is the only 1st rounder I can think of) and seldom do with CBs either (Wolford was a 1st and then I can't recall another) but we have a long history of taking DTs and OTs early.

Emery is such a good poker player and such a wild card that who knows exactly how he'll play it and we won't right up until that card goes up.
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Ding. Ding. Ding. we have a winner. This is precisely, 100% why a tough 3 tech is so important. You have to press the pocket up the middle, as well as pinch it from the edges. If the qb can take 5 steps into the pocket, guys like Allen become less effective coming off the edge.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,795ß
    Luckily you can have those types of 3 tech guys through the 3rd round, Anthony Johnson can be had and is that kind of guy! So now the question is can you get a 3 down S in the 3rd round that can do the job of a Pryor or Dix? B/C you can get the job in the 3rd w/a DT.

moving on...
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Not trying to start a wildfire here, but thought I would dig this one up since we have a bit to go on. Well, we are currently ranked 30th. To be fair, preseason is ungameplanned and alot of your playbook on both sides of the ball is not shown, but so far so bad in my eyes for ole Mely. Hope we see some serious change.

Just thought I would bump and get some thoughts on Mel and how he has impacted our unit thus far. Anything that sticks out either good or bad of note. Discuss.
  14. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    This D line is the best line I have seen in these parts in a long while. If you ask me what part of the D I want to be rock stars? It's the line all the way, even when Urlacher was with the Bears the lines he played with were never crazy good other than Pep it was meh. This D line has the potential out the wing wang. Even if you look at that horrid game last Friday the line was getting constant pressure on Russell that can't be denied even without Jared. When you get pressure like that constantly it becomes a game of statistics bad things are going to eventually happen to the opponents QB. So my question will be whose QB this year gets his balls busted by this line?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Preseason or not and no game planning or not that defense is still guilty of most of the same mistakes they were making last year. Just to a slightly lesser degree and then only when the DL starters are playing. If anyone is gonna be the difference makers it's them.

I'll just say that I'll be surprised if overall the defense improves as much as we all believe it should given that talent on hand. I still believe that some of these guys either misunderstand their assignments or they aren't playing the defense the way it's drawn up. Time will tell.

We have a brutal first 8 games so before the bye week arrives we should know where we stand on that side of the ball. I'm just not buying into all this "we'll fix it" stuff because to date I haven't seen much that's been fixed. Just a lot of talk and then "different day same old shit".
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    This is one of my fears. That the team will get respectable but still underplay their level of talent and so people that backing Tucker will say the D is fine and claim its fixed. Every unit needs to play up to their abilities and coaches need to be accountable under those standards.
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    One more conveniently forgotten fact is one of the former favorite excuses made for Tucker. That he got stuck with Lovies Cover two and he needed to run his own defense.
    I maintain that decision was one of his best decisions. He had the people in place that knew how to play it and they played it successfully. If it's not broken, don't try to fix it.
    Well, this year it appears he will use the same base as he was "forced to" last year.
    New smokescreens are created all the time to provide him cover. The bottom line is that the defense is not playing up to expectations and he is the DC.
    There are many things being posted as logic, reasons, etc, etc, ad nauseum. Some have merit and some are only marginally connected in trying to shore up the argument, but the bottom line is the D is not playing as well as it should. To get into individual things to defend that is pointless. People that do not agree will find those arguments pointless.
    But the bottom line is the bottom line. The D needs to get better.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,795ß
    According to people at camp we haven't seen any of Tuckers scheme.
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    yeah... I had read that you posted that before, but while that gives me hope, I have my doubts. How do you go into the regular season with not having practiced the stuff you plan to use? I mean it really leaves us open to looking like clown school out there.

One thing I can say is I am really looking forward to the regular season, and if we are going to bring out some new stuff, better to try against the Bills than someone that can ram it right back down our throats like Seattle.

I'm pumped and ready for the season for sure.

EDIT: I guess what I didn't say very well was that I DO expect stuff to be held back for the regular season... every team does it, but to come out and look like a completely new defense? I don't see it.
    You can't hide a completely different defense IMO... Just some new stuff that you had been holding back... maybe a half dozen to a dozen plays at the most, but I don;t expect them to be able to handle linemen that they couldn't handle before, or intercept passes and cover in the secondary where they couldn't before. I mean, what are they holding back? The "actually tackle him this time" play when they have been practicing the "let him get by" play?
    Can't be night and day IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +922 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    769ß
    Just because you see a 4-3 cover 2 base doesn't mean he's running lovies defense or using his terminology. Many teams use a 4-3 cover 2 base, that doesn't mean it's anything like what Lovie ran.