Tucker: Round 2

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Mar 27, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,355ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Also don't forget about sedrick ellis retiring during camp.

2. mdbearz

mdbearz
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    I will give Tucker a pass for 6 games.

3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Absolutely he is if he is if the unit is giving up 161yds/game on the ground at a rate of 6 per attempt. Those are laughable numbers, dead last by a long shot in the number one priority of any defensive unit and staff. If you cant find ways to stop the run your team will lose simple as that. Giving up that kind of ground yards give the entire team simply no chance at being successful.

Look, the past is the past. I really hope that Tucker can prove to be a solid DC and a partner for Trestman for the long term. In fact, I like the way the guy carried himself when he brought himself out of the box. I like the fire that he seems to have. I want him to be successful here. But what I don't want more than anything is to see another year of this window that we have with our offense go down the drain because of another absolutely pathetic unit. Emery has went balls to the wall getting him the pieces. After the draft I strongly suspect that he will have even more help on the unit in the form of a starter or two and some depth guys. Short of our defensive bus crashing on the way to a game, there are no excuses next year and if we see similar trends to last year he should be replaced by week 10.

• Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,157ß
    Grizz you act like his Def system is set up to give up 6 ypa, and it wasn't the players on the field that were unable to execute. The PLAYERS gave up 6ypa not Tucker, not his scheme, not his teaching, not his coaching, the PLAYERS. The PLAYERS weren't good enough.

• Like Like x 1
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,355ß
    AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN!!! Listen, look at our offense with Martz...did the guy forget how to call an effective offense when he got here? No...we just didn't have talent! Certainly not the talent to do what he wanted to do on offense. Tucker wasn't the one out there over pursuing plays, Tucker wasn't out there missing tackles or blowing coverages. How many times were our guys there, but didn't execute. As a former player I've been part of great play calls that I didn't execute properly and it cost the defense(I still have nightmares about a great blitz call we had on with a team on their 1 and I missed the tackle for a safety!(The DC threw a water bottle at my head when we got off the field), and as a coach I can't tell you how many times I've made similar calls but players didn't execute. And here's a news flash, the less talented the player, the more likely there are for NUMEROUS miscues.

We weren't that talented on defense last year. This is an undeniable fact. We lost 3 pro bowlers to injury for large stretches, and then lost some of their replacements, we lost a guy who was a stud in the middle, and had to start rookies and former practice squad guys. This year the talent and depth issue has certainly been handled. We have much better depth along the line then we did last year, and we have some decent depth at safety now too. We still need some depth at corner, and could use another linebacker, as well as another dt, but I expect that to come in the draft. If everyone stays HEALTHY the expectation should be for marked improvement, and if that does not happen, Tucker should go. If we continue to lose key players the way we did this year though perhaps our attention should be turned to another area...I.E. training staff, practice practices, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    We will just have to agree to disagree then, a good DC will put their players in a position to succeed. He has an entire offseason to review what went wrong and get it corrected. He also has a huge influx in talent and likely some quality youth coming in may. If we don't see substantial improvement from the unit and players alike there will be nobody else to blame. Tucker has alot of film review and reflection to do on both himself and the players as BOTH were at fault last year.

• Like Like x 2
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,157ß
    Grizz we don't disagree on that I agree wholy that coaches have to put players in a position to succeed; but the PLAYERS have to be good enough to execute, and last year was proof of that.
    Again go back to Cleveland and Bill Bellecheck:
    1) He a bad HC that didn't know how to put his players in a position to succeed
    2) He e not have the players to succeed
    Based on his run in NE, it was option 2.
    a team to succeed has to have both players and coaches and, and that is what the Tucker fired crowd is ignoring. I've never backed Tucker, I never said he was good bad or indifferent, only said that you cannot judge him based on last year b/c no coach is going to look good when they lose 5 starters 3 of which are pro bowlers, and all on D.

8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    I never meant to reignite a "we should have fired Tucker" debate. We didn't. He's here. What I hope to see from him this year is running his scheme and coaching what he knows. Shea potentially at SAM really I think will be a decent test for what kind of DC he is. A good coach has to be able to tweak and adapt to what they are given, and maximize what players do well while minimizing what they do poorly by scheme. I will be very interested to see how he uses Shea at SAM. IMO we should see a bit more of an aggressive defense. I also will be looking for improvements from Conte, Bostic and all our young players. I'm actually pulling for Mel, but it remains to be seen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. a_miljan

a_miljan
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    740ß
    Its Belichick goddamn it! :) Hes got origins from my country

10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,287ß
    Martz was an idiot before he came here. The game had passed him by. But the fans got all "giddy" when we brought him in (same with Mike Tice). Of course you need talent. But you also need a decent coach too. Otherwise why even have coaches? Just let the player-mob figure it out themselves and play sandlot on Sundays. Might as well have Jauron or Wanny here instead of Trestman if it doesn't matter. You need talent and solid coaching.

I get a bit irritated when we blame everything on the players and give coaches a pass. Both need to produce.

#60 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1