Tucker: Very encouraged by defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, May 17, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,626ß
    ChicagoBears.com Video:

Defensive coordinator Mel Tucker addresses the media from Halas Hall Friday to discuss the defensive transition this offseason.

Continue reading...
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    691ß
    He should be!! We've got a d-line that was built so that it's most obvious strength is going to be in stopping the run. I honestly don't see this being below the 20th defense in the league*.

*WARNING: I also thought there was no way we weren't going to have a top 15 offense every year since 2009, and was right only once.
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He'll have better players so he should be encouraged. Only wish I felt the same way about him getting another shot at this...
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,690 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    Unless you don't have faith in Emery or Trestman to be able to pick the correct coaches, I don't see a reason not to think Tucker couldn't do this job; last year was a cluster F of inj's to just about every key player on D, and in prior years he was at 2 of the worst franchises in NFL history.

If most of his key players stay healthy this year it's his first real shot to be graded accurately.
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    So the first question they ask him is whether or not his defense will be improved???? What did the expect him to say, no I think we'll suck even more than last year? How about I rephrase that question so it's a little more meaningful?

"Mel, what are you doing this year to make 100% certain your defense doesn't look like the steaming pile of horse dung it did last year? Exactly what do you plan to do and be specific here because half of us believe you don't even have a clue about how to scheme this yet".

What's with the pussy footing around it? He ended up with the 31st ranked defense in the NFL last year so asking exactly how he plans to avoid that is a legit question. I'm beginning to thing Mel needs a spokesperson to do his pressers. When Emery or Trestman speak I hear clear and concise plans being formulated. I don't get that from Mel Tucker. I guess the proper way to approach it is to hope he's better at coaching than he is at public speaking.
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Sounds good...on paper, ricza. I have faith for the most part in Emery/Trestman but that still doesn't waylay my fears that he may not be a game time adjuster. Bad players? Yes but that doesn't erase a slew of questionable calls during games last year.

He talks about tailoring schemes to the strengths of the players & he didn't show a whole Hell of a lot of that so far.

Hope I'll be pleasantly surprised but the onus is on him to prove last year was somehow him being the victim of circumstance & not the guy that appeared to be a willing participant at times in that debacle.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    ^^This^^

Confidence this man instills not...
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,306 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,741ß
    LOL...
    He instill confidence in the same way as when you catch your dentist looking at a copy of "root canals for dummies" right before the anasthetic takes effect and you go out. Not much you can do. At that point, it is what it is.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    True dat. Well he seems to have the support of his players and if they get it then I really don't give a rip if I don't. Just show me the results. I want to see that defense playing as hard for him as the old one did for Lovie. I want to see a bunch of guys who go out there and get pissed if the other guys score six. You can't lose many game when you don't let the other guys score. That worked pretty well for the '85 Bears and it sure as hell worked for Seattle because they crushed the best offense in the NFL in the Super Bowl.

Last year Trestman and Kromer got that offense working together as a unit better than I have seen a Bears offense do in many a moon. That's what Tucker needs to do with his defense. That was a hallmark of the Bears defenses under Lovie. We may not have had the best players but they played well together as a unit each knowing what the other would do. That was completely missing last year and it needs to be restored. Hopefully that's the mission Tucker and his guys are on.

Maybe he needs to send Pasqualoni out to talk to the press from now on. Tucker doesn't strike me as a deep thinker.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,306 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,741ß
    I completely agree. This is the ultimate results oriented business. I don't care how he coaches or what he says as long as he gets results. He actually comes off as a good guy. The kind of guy that would be ok to hang with. But you are right, he does not come off as a deep thinker. Maybe he is, but he does not push those buttons with me either. And I did not see any real adjustments last year to speak of when we were getting hammered.

The position coaches I would think also have some leeway in making adjustments for their group, so maybe it does not all rely on Tucker, but better yet, maybe it's just a wrong read on both our parts.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,690 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    ^^^^That's what I said, That'swhatISAID!
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,491 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    527ß
    Tibesar and the other clown (forgot his name) may have indeed sucked last year and been in over their heads. They've been replaced by experienced and qualified people. Ultimately the buck stops with Tucker. He's the DC. He's the CEO of the Defense. Part of his job is to ensure that his subordinates do their jobs.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,306 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,741ß
    I said it better
    • Like Like x 1