UNFRIGGIN REAL NFL Fines Bostic

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Nakoma1, Aug 21, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,711 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    694ß
    feel free to start a new thread when there are 2-3 already w/this exact conversation. If you've watched it w/out your Blue/Orange goggles you'll see he hit him w/the crown of the helmet, and that hits the facemask, that's a fineable and flagable hit. If he was head up there would be no fine.
  2. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    know dbears ??
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,711 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    694ß

And if the NFL/Players during one of the last two cba talks had given some love to the retired players that didn't get to have generation wealth from the league they helped create there would be no suit. The NFL owners and Current players own greed F'd this whole thing up. They create a 100 mil legacy retirement/health fund for retired players there is no current lawsuit
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BanthaTrax

BanthaTrax Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Ahh. Overseer of all threads and referee (obviously still in training)...First I didn't see any threads which is why I started this thread. And second, the power of the hit comes from the shoulder to the top of the chest. The WR's head is thrust into Bostic's helmet. If you know me which you don't, you'll know I call it as I see it. I'm a Bear's fan but I'll call out Bear's BS too if I see it.

Nice to make your acquaintance.
  5. RoSto89

RoSto89 Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Watching it a few times I noticed Bostic had his head was down, which is a no-no, but the hit was with the shoulder into Willie's chest not Bostic's head/helmet. Mike Golic made the point, is the defender suppose to tackle low if he cant hit high?(insert Briggs rant on Dustin Keller hit) That was a bang-bang play by Bostic that I thought/still think was a good hit.
  6. CNYBearFan54

CNYBearFan54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This fine is complete BS. The NFL needs to really look at hits way differently, as soon enough it will become the Flag Football League.

BearDown
  7. CNYBearFan54

CNYBearFan54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I just wonder what's next, while I see the images and the angle he had his head, what's the appropriate way to hit someone anymore! Maybe I need to by the rule book and read it.

BearDown
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,711 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    694ß
    HEAD UP. Bostic's head was clearly down, and he hit Willie w/the crown of his head. Face mask/or side of the helmet into the contact not the crown, it's that easy.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RoSto89

RoSto89 Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    That's a great angle of the hit. I could tell that his head was lowered, but now I can see he hit the WR's facemask. Still it's tough being a defender in he NFL today. Could Bostic be trying to avoid hitting Willie in the helmet, and that's why he lowered his head?
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,711 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    694ß
    RoSto, and that was my point, he might well have not been able to do anything to stop it, but in todays NFL you have to keep your head up, and hit way low. Here's an ESPN article about it:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/

Dirty Laundry: The price of head contact
    August, 21, 2013
    Aug 21
    10:15
    AM CT
    By Kevin Seifert | ESPNChicago.com

I cringed and started worrying after the third or fourth time I saw Jon Bostic's highlight-reel hit last week. Would the collision between Bostic, the Chicago Bears' rookie middle linebacker, and San Diego Chargers receiver Mike Willie surface as the first example in 2013 of the NFL's continued emphasis against head-to-head contact?

The answer appears to be yes, based on a tweet from teammate Lance Briggs that reported the NFL fined Bostic $21,000 for the play. (The fine has since been confirmed by ESPN and other outlets.)

When you watch the replay in the video above, you see Willie reaching for a short slant pass and begin the process of catching it when Bostic launched a perfectly-timed hit to dislodge the ball. If you slow it down frame by frame, you see that the top of Bostic's helmet made contact with the bottom left side of Willie's helmet. No penalty was called.

[+] Enlarge[​IMG]
    AP Photo/Scott BoehmJon Bostic was fined $21,000 Wednesday for his hit on San Diego Chargers wide receiver Mike Willie. In sum, it's a play we've all seen countless times in NFL games. Many of them have been celebrated by NFL Films. But in 2013, and forever more, it is the type of contact the NFL wants to at least appear to be discouraged.

The NFL instituted new rules this year barring contact with the crown of the helmet, but in this case, it used one of its previously established rules to hand out the fine. Rule 12, Section 2, Article 7 (b2) renders this action to be illegal: "Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/'hairline' parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player's body."

We can argue until we're blue in the face about whether Bostic lowered his head or if his head was simply tilted downward in a form tackle position when contact occurred. You can also question whether "defenseless position" was originally contemplated for a receiver reaching for a pass when both feet are on the ground. In this case, Willie took two steps before Bostic hit him. It wouldn't have been outrageous to call the play a catch and fumble.

But as we've discussed before, that ship has sailed. The conversation is over. At last count, more than 4,000 former NFL players are suing the league for concussion-related issues. Head safety is the league's top priority, legally and otherwise, and you can expect more aggressive interpretations of its rules moving forward.

Briggs later tweeted his disgust that the NFL fined Bostic but that the low hit on Miami Dolphins tight end Dustin Keller, which ruptured multiple knee ligaments, has gone unpunished. So goes the world we live in, like it or not. It's cheaper, for both the league and its players, to take out a player's knees than to hit him in the head. There is no going back now.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    I really think Ric is right about having the head up. He drops his head and leads with the crown at the last minute. The problem is, anyone that ever played the game knows that such a movement is damn near instinctual and damned hard to overcome. It also happens in a millisecond, so keep it going Bostic and deal with the fines.

I also believe BossK is right. This isn't about Goodell being a power hungry monster; it's about him trying to save the league from itself. It all comes down to lawyers. It's usually a pretty good bet that any time you come across some strange rule that makes no sense or is 100% overly protective of a certain thing, that there is a lawyer and a landmark litigation case behind it. I'm all for any player coming into the league signing a waiver, explaining the hazards of the game BEFORE they are eligible to sign with any team.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,079 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    428ß
    New rule as of this year, head must be up when making contact.....offensive or defensive player. Bostic is simply the example. Oh, and because of a rule that says that a fine can't be more than 25% of the players weekly check, his real fine is approx. $6k.
  13. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    TO THOSe agreeing with the fine turn in your Bears fan card ,... And go work for the league

OH,... and stop posting here under the identity of A BEARS FAn

It was a legit hit. He led with his shoulder ,..anything after is incidental
  14. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +573 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    179ß
    I see the head up thing and understand, but he led with his shoulder. The receiver grabbed the ball and took two steps before he got hit, changing his position relative to the incoming Bostic. Is Bostic supposed to defy the laws of physics and change his trajectory/momentum during those two steps the receiver took?
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I love the experts TELLING PEOPLE HOW TO INTERPRET THINGS ..
  16. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    THEEE EXACT TERMINOLOGY USED TO FINE BOSTIC
    Bostic violated: RULE 12, SECTION 2, ARTICLE 7 (b) (2)Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

Now someone please tell me when receivers became defenseless ... it's the defender jobs to tackle the receiver and or knock the ball out as well

Now if yas wanna listen to some league office MOGUL that's posting here telling you other wise ,.... go right ahead But this was the the rule they fined him on
    NOTHING About helmut , to helmut ...

NOTHNG ABOUT helmut to face mask
    NOTHING about leading with his head

AGAIN THE RULE THEY FINED HIM ON
    Bostic violated: RULE 12, SECTION 2, ARTICLE 7 (b) (2)
    Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    ESPN sportsnation arguing about it right now

edit: 90% say not deserved- NFL is soft, this defenseless receiver thing is bullsh!t.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I heard as it came down on the Score ,... those were the exact same words I heard them discussing BOSTIC SHOULD APPEAL

GOODBALLS is getting as bad as obummer with his executive exercises
  19. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +573 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    179ß
    Disclaimer... I'm at work and supposed to be working. So I haven't fully read up on this, just what I'm seeing here.

So why was he defenseless? He grabbed the ball and took two steps. He was facing Bostic and saw him coming at him. How is that defenseless? Just when does a player go from defenseless to defensible? How about a guy running to the endzone with the ball - and a defender dives at his legs from behind. The runner doesn't know he's about to be destroyed and is in a defensleless position too.

The league really needs to figure this out before Bostic is fined and labeled a repeat offender for a clean legal hit.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,304 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    578ß
    Im calling bullshit on that claim. I watched it frame by frame to check, and he hit Willie square in the chest. The "Contact" of the lower part of the facemask only occurred AS THE HIT happened, by way of Willie's head in whiplash, his head was HIGH, (he was in the process of catching the ball), the hit happened, his head jerked BACK, then forward, due to whiplash, and only made contact with the top of Bostic's helmet at this point. And even then...if you zoom in this picture posted, and look really close, the two helmets are not even making contact at all.