UNFRIGGIN REAL NFL Fines Bostic

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Nakoma1, Aug 21, 2013.

1. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Here is the rule book's main definition... would need to read the referenced articles for a complete description.

That is the (a) part of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 7:
    A. Players in a defenseless posture are:
    (1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;
    (2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
    (3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;
    (4) A kickoff or put returner attempting to field a kick in the air;
    (5) A player on the ground;
    (6) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return (Also see Article 6(g) for additional restrictions against a kicker/punter);
    (7) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession (Also see Article 8(f) for additional restrictions against a quarterback after a change of possession);
    (8) A player who recieves a "blindside" block when the blocker is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side, and
    (9) A player who is protected from an illegal crackback block (see Article 2).

And your all right, even though they have words in there to describe the intent for defenseless... I feel it is left subjective. Was it a fumble? Where does someone have time to protect himself, or becomes a runner? Was he capable? You can debate for weeks.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    DID YOU WATCH THE GAME ??? Willey took 2 steps ,.. It was good hit,... AND A FUMBLE by the way
  3. Warlock

Warlock Veteran

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    Same ole Nakoma1, as clueless as ever...

I'm the same Warlock from the defunct official forums and I hadn't bothered to post since this site blew up their forums a few weeks ago.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    BRAVO POST 2 No ,...not the same ole Nakoma1 ,..sure as hell not clueless or whatever it s you think YOUR POINT ?

LMAO and yet another baiter .. are you the master ???
  5. Warlock

Warlock Veteran

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    I'm not baiting you, just stating my opinion on the matter... well, I'm also correcting your assertation that I'm Riczaj, I'm clearly not... which invalidates whatever warped point you were trying to make about my post.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    HANG ME ,...SUE ME ,..I'm human
  7. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Nakoma, you need to stop instigating fights around here, its only going to lead to a ban. If you disagree with someone, either respond respectfully and engage in an actual debate ON TOPIC, or take it to the Bar Scene.

And yes...Warlock has been around here for awhile (I remember his name), but doesnt post much. the end.
  8. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    That's what Dick Butkus and I would call a perfect tackle on a threat who made the mistake of cutting back in your path. Deer, meet semi.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Warlock

Warlock Veteran

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    How about, rather than using excuses, you man up and take accountability.

We all make mistakes, but using that crutch doesn't help you learn from said mistakes... it only enables you to not take responsibility for your mistakes and therefore continue to make the same mistakes repeatedly.
  10. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    aCCOUNTAble for what warlock ,.. humor here then,.... when did you first hear or read about the fine
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,890 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,199ß
    Everyone is going to have their own perspective on this, and an argument could be made for either side.

As far as I am concerned, he made a good, hard hit that I enjoy. He was not head hunting (I don't like guys that are out to hurt other players -- all these guys are trying to earn a living and most have families. There is no place to intentionally try and hurt anyone) and he just put as hard a hit on him as he could. I don't except him to change his style. I don't expect the guy that was hit to claim it was a dirty hit. And I hope to see many more of them.
  12. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    NFL= NONCONTACT F@#KEDUP LEAGUE
  13. Warlock

Warlock Veteran

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    Accountable for your mistakes, such as calling me Riczaj... a "hey, my bad" would go a long way... it's definitely preferrable to "HANG ME ,...SUE ME ,..I'm human". Both acknowledge being wrong, but the latter trivializes it... like "hey, get used to my behavior because no one is without flaw".

I saw the hit last week and figured it'd be a fine. It was a big hit, but it was also poor technique and Bostic led with the crown/top of his helmet. Making it illegal, regardless of your personal perspective. My issue is this, kids see players make these huge hits and try to emulate it... which is very, very, very dangerous... for both the tackler and the ball-carrier. Bostic's head was down when he made impact, this is the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do when tackling. If you cannot appreciate football without the hard hits (i.e. what the League is trying to change, because they're dangerous), it's probably not the sport for you anyways... demolition derby might be more your speed.
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,890 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,199ß

Warlock, the last time I saw someone hitting a car with his helmet in demolition derby it was not pretty.

I do appreciate your concern and obvious willingness and desire to make sure I am watching the sports most appropriate for me, but I've been able to vote for decades. If I can decide who will be the next president I am going to go out on a limb and say I am probably also qualified to decide what sports I like best.
  15. Warlock

Warlock Veteran

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    Any time a player launches their body into another player, they're intentionally trying to hurt that opponent (i.e. hitting someone as hard as possible with little to no control). Using proper tackling techniques is how you try and not intentionally hurt an opponent (or yourself). No one runs full speed and leads with the crown of their helmet thinking, "I'm not trying to hurt this guy"... it's about the most effective way of doing so on a football field, during the course of a play... which is why it's illegal.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Warlock

Warlock Veteran

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    If the game of football looses some of it's luster for you, because safety concerns do away with the hard hits, you're probably watching it for the wrong reasons. I merely suggested more efficient alternatives, ones that involve more action to sate your bloodlust. It's a free Country and you're free to like what you want, just as I'm free to offer advice.
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,890 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,199ß
    Warlock -- I'm just not going to get drawn into a forever give and take discussion like I saw previously surrounding the topic of proper training technique. I will say this and then I am sure you will have the last word, and that is more than fine with me. I think a player can in fact be trying to take another player out of the game and want to "hurt" him in that sense without wishing or wanting to impart any permanent damage to that player. In other words, shake him up enough to make him think about it or even take him out of that particular game.

I am old school. They have been playing football like this for many years. Maybe it's right and maybe it's wrong. I will leave others that can do something to actually affect the rules to debate that. What I can say is I NEVER want to see a player get hurt permanently, but I know I love football and I like to see it played hard with hard hitting. I have no problem with trying to ensure player safety. I am all for it, but I like my football the way I like it.

Can I have it both ways? Well, I am sure you will have an opinion there, but will say that for the most most part, given the huge number of hits on any given week of professional football, it seems that for many years players have been hitting each other as hard as they can and only a small number of hits cause permanent damage. I wish it were none.

These new rules will help and that is good. But even the players themselves realize and have said that it is the nature of the game. They know it. If they wanted to play something safe, they would be playing checkers and using seatbelts in case they fall out of their chairs.

Seriously, I am not trying to be confrontational at all, nor am I going to say you are wrong. All I am saying is I like hard hitting football and I liked the hit Bostic put on the guy. In your own words.... "So sue me" :D
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,890 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,199ß
    Of course!
  19. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    LOL about what this thread has turned into.

Warlock, I agree with your assessment about head up/leading with head, but Bostic DID NOT launch himself. Hell, he didn't have time to.

Houston, the whole "SUE ME" comment came from Nakoma referring to Warlock,

and

Nakoma, what exactly is your problem with everyone. Really, your getting on Warlock about a first post? WHere have YOU been.
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,890 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,199ß
    LOL... Got the wrong person huh... Well... Sue me! :-)