UNFRIGGIN REAL NFL Fines Bostic

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Nakoma1, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    When the angle was changed and you can see his head lead, I can understand a flag by the new rules, but the fine was ridiculous. These new rules ARE fundamentally changing the game esp. in bang, bang pass plays such as the hit we saw. There is no question in my mind that Bostic did not have intentions to hurt him. What he did do was separate the ball from the man, and that has been taught since the creation of this game. So yes, it is changing the way the game is played esp on the defensive side of the ball.

I think intent needs to be seriously looked at when these game changing flags and fines are tossed around. Nobody wants to see players just headhunting out there and trying to bring careers to an early end, but when these plays are happening this fast what is a defender really supposed to do? What if that play was 4th and 2 in a playoff game? Is Bostic really expected to just let him make that catch and then tackle him (assuming that a last minute adjustment to avoid a BS flag dosent cause him to miss the tackle) This BS is changing the way the game is played, hence the inflation of offensive numbers in recent years. While I agree that nobody needs to be out there just to hurt people, nor should anyone try to hurt someone its the nature of the game that makes collisions like this unavoidable at some times. Things move extremely fast out there, and with guys playing at 100 mph we are going to see hits like this. No malicious intent, no flag/fine IMO.

What we will see now is many more injuries similar to Keller. It is the only safe place to ensure you will not cost your team 15 yards, and is also a last second adjustment some players can make.

Last, and most important point I wanted to throw out there is this has absolutely nothing to do with player safety IMO. If he really gave a damn about the concussions he would make mouthpieces mandatory, this is proven that it reduces the risk of concussions by 300-500 percent depending on the study you use. Why do you think Boxing, MMA, Hockey, HS football ect all require this? This has everything to do with stupida$* Goodell wanting to create a game with a ton of offense and not very much defense. This expands the fanbase as you can now appeal to the "casual" fan who will enjoy watching lots of open field running and "awesome scores" instead of the nitty gritty such as blocking and tackling. (how many times has he mentioned wanting a team in London........)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nakoma1

Nakoma1
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

im not into those who like swing whatever way the wind a blows 4Da ,...
    MY BAD Just didn't appreciated the thread getting hijacked when the guy doing such should have started his own thread taking his stance , Fans have issues with the way the leagues handled all of this

Here there and everywhere mainly laying low

3. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance
    Expand Collapse

Goodell has made a mess of defensive play. It baffles me that Bostic's hit would get a fine.

4. short faced bear

short faced bear
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

I remember Warlock vs. some kid talking tech. in the old forum for about 30 pages. Ultimately none of us has any say nor power in the matter. If they really wanted to improve technique they could start fining them in college. But that might mess up their pay lol.

5. Nakoma1

Nakoma1
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

+1 Grizzz

6. Warlock

Warlock
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

The game isn't fundamentally changing... people still run, pass, catch, block and tackle... those are the fundamentals of the game. Do you coach your players to lead with the crown of their helmet? The rules change and techniques must adapt. Players shouldn't be leading with their heads to seperate the ball from the man any more, the new technique is to club the ball while wrapping up (using the much more effective break/club/wrap/drive technique). Not only is it much safer for both the ball-carrier and the tackler, but it results in less missed tackles because you're technically sound and balanced.

If it was 4th and 2, the results would have been the same (no gain and loss of down)... Bostic makes contact with the receiver at the LoS. If he breaksdown instead, Willie gets stood up and driven back for no gain... instead of what should have been a 15 yard penalty.

The speed of the NFL is fast and shit happens sometimes, but these athletes are so neuromuscularly conditioned that they shouldn't have to think about anything out there... it should all be reflex. Actions burned into the synapse thru countless repetition. It's time to change drills/techniques and adapt to the rules. On the bightside, these new rules are actually beneficial for the future of the game. By reducing the risk of both short term and long term injuries, you get more people participating in the sport and thus more fans of the game. Intent is a hard sale, it's as much a judgment call as whether or not a player is defenseless. We don't know what the player is thinking, we can only assume based on what we see.

Mouthguards are great at reducing the risk of concussions, but are you honestly trying to imply that the new rules don't also reduce the risk of concussions?

Look, we're all older guys here, people who played/watched when the game was more hard-nosed. We're also Bears fans, who admire some of the toughest sobs in the history of football (i.e. Butkus, Payton, etc...). It's a tough pill to swallow, watching things become "pussified", but it really is the best thing for the game. Life is hard enough and our bodies take enough of a beating, any reasonable thing to help reduce the unnecessary risks we take is a good thing. I can't say that the new rules are unreasonable...

7. Tarkus

Tarkus
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

My biggest disappointment is not finding those refs who didn't call a Damn thing after the game & do some shots & beers.

Now they know football...

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

TECHNICALLY Bosic did lead with the crown if his helmet which was one of the natures of the fine. Even though he DID hit him with his shoulder, he did lead with the crown of the helmet.

However the whole helpless receiver part is a crock. He had the ball and should have his head on a swivel. No WR who has possession of the ball should ever be considered "defenseless"

9. 4dabers

4dabers
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

Oh you can count on that brother. I'm going to take you for all the bear bucks you have. Oh, I guess I'm too late on that one, well, I'll find something else.

Can we all just agree that the rules are changing, we have no say, it was a good "old fashioned" hit that was borderline in today's NFL and his fine will sting, but not like it would for you and me.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

I understand Bostic certainly needs to keep his head up there is no argument there. The explanation the league gave was that it was a defenseless reciever. That tells me that there would have been a fine regardless of head position.

My problems with this is that SD attempted a Flanker tunnel screen. Bostic diagnosed it, and got to the correct spot at full speed. There was a 2 step separation between him and the WR and DJ Fluker bearing down on Bostic. Bang bang play Willie was far from defenseless, yes Bostic needs to keep his head up but frankly I don't think it would matter because what I got out of the explanation from the league was that Bostic was guilty of hitting too hard.

Warlock, no way I would tell a kid it's ok to lead with his head down. That is, and should be a penalty. My problem with this new trend is big collisions will always happen in this game. What is a defender susposed to do if he is playing at 100mph and is in Bostics shoes. It's nice to think that he could get the perfect shoulder to number, face mask on ball hit but the game moves too fast for that to ALWAYS work perfectly. I would say on Bostics play he could play that scenario out 10 times and prolly get fined or flagged 9 of them. The only way to ensure there is no consequences is to go low...ask Keller how much "better" that is.