Urgent message from Trestman

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Sep 22, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    I can't argue with that. Urlacher did not play DL. What he did do -- brilliantly-- for many years is get inside the head of the opponents and call the defensive signals to stop them. The DL and everybody else on the defense is more effective when you have the other 7 guys best positioned to counter the play calls of the opposing QB. Briggs is very good LB as is Williams, but Briggs and Tucker are not operating Cover 2 the way Urlacher and Lovie did. Add Urlacher's playing ability, also. That's the #1 reason our pass defense is terrible. IMHO
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +665 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    449ß
    I blame Jerry Angelo
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    I think youre giving Urlacher TOO much credit, our Pass D was great because we reliably got pressure from just our front 4, allowing our LBs to remain in coverage, so even if the QB got a pass off in time before getting sacked, he had no one to throw it to, leading to plenty of 3 and outs.

Now, however, our front 4 is not getting the pressure, and QBs are making our D look like a joke in the Passing game. When we DO get pressure, i've noticed that it typically comes when we blitz the LBs, something Lovie rarely did, because he didnt have to.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    Our pass rush has never been that strong that's why Lovie had to get Peppers. Once he came he made big impact and in the last couple years we have seen the line once again struggle. Pep may be getting old along with Shea and Wootton not being what we had hope really affects this rush. Melton when he was drafted was more of a hope and project. Emery has another project again next year hopeful he does as good with the Dline as he did with the Oline.
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß

I can't see why the DL can't be easily resurrected compared to the O line next season. The bad part is that the draft will be mostly on D. Can't see us re-signing Melton and I have no idea if Tucker can currently use McC to make an impact. If the Bears were to stop blitzing I fear we would be lit up even though it would behoove us to play more cover-2. Ironic that I thought LB was the weak area and DL was solid.
  6. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Our DL has been strong, but inconsistent. Mark Anderson had a phenomenal season, but faded right after. Tommie Harris started out strong, but he too faded.

Our sack rankings: rank (sacks)
    2012: 8 (41)
    2011: 19 (33)
    2010: 17 (34)
    2009: 13 (35)
    2008: 22 (28)
    2007: 6 (41)
    2006: 8 (40)
    2005: 9 (41)

So yeah...we did well to start under Lovie, getting about 40 a year, now we get around 34. Its not the sacks that mattered, it was the QB Pressure, we always managed to get decent pressure with just the front 4, allowing the LBs to remain in coverage to defend passes.
  7. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    Well, it is certainly easier to get to the QB with the front-4 when the other 7 guys have the receivers covered like a blanket. This year we don't have that working, and I attribute a lot of that to not having Urlacher to call the signals and patrol the middle of the field. But. that aside, I agree that these guys -- especially Peppers -- are not performing. With each game, I get more frustrated that they won't give CornWash a try at LDE. I mean, it's not as if McClellin and Wootton are doing such a great job so far.
  8. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Wootton has played good enough. Sure, he's not getting sacks, but i've seen him get to the QB and make solid tackles on RBs many times this year. Shea is a damned ghost.
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    I didn't realize we had that many last year. They all must have been in 1st 8 games. So was it Izzy having that kind of impact? Maybe we are missing him more than they realized even over Urlacher.
  10. Passepartout

Passepartout Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Urlacher is missed. Retired or not!
  11. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Yeah, i think losing Izzy was huge.
  12. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    I agree that Wootton is playing a little better than McClellin, but still not what we need from either of them, especially with Peppers under-performing. As an experiment on passing downs, I'd slide Wootton inside to tackle and play CornWash at LE. Corny is still a raw prospect but he brings far more speed and power to the DE position than either of these guys. I wouldn't expect great things from him this season, but let's give him some game experience to try to get him to a level where he can be a contributor next season. Wootton is on the last year of his contract, and they need to do something with Peppers $84 million contract to afford Cutler's $$$ contract extension. There will be changes to the DL next year as we did this year to upgrade the OL. I'd like to get more on-field evaluation of the DL reserves, especially Corny, to get a better idea of what we have/don't have to build on. I wouldn't recommend this if the starting front-4 were performing well, but they are not.

Checking the stats...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/chi/chicago-bears

We are getting the most performance from Paea and Collins. Worst from Peppers. He needs to step it up big-time.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    Gotta be careful with stats. They don't always tell the entire picture. Last night, I went back and rewatched the DL, and in particular focused on Peppers. The part those states don't show, is that he's getting double-teamed pretty regularly, and sometimes a 3rd man is chipping him after he fights past the double teams. That doesn't show up in the statistics, but it's what is happening.

Paea and Collins on the other hand, are not having to fight two and three men. They SHOULD be getting higher stats.
  14. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    So? He's been double-teamed most of his career. You think Smith, Watt etc aren't getting double-teamed? They split the double=team and make the sack. That's what Peppers used to do. He's getting old.
  15. GBlaze23

GBlaze23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He is getting old, no arguing that. What I can say though is atleast he still CAN draw the double team which helps others and you can't really say that about anyone else on the DL. He had some good pressures and came up big this past week in the end. I'd give him a few more weeks before I throw in the towel. Will he be here in 2 years? No way, but he is still one of the best we have on the line for now.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    I'm just trying to give a bigger picture here, David. I did watch Peppers play again last night, just trying to be objective, for may own sake. I was curious. The guy is still an exceptional player. But you are right, he is getting older. But he still plays the game at a very high level. When he has to fight through double teams, and sometimes gets chipped by a third player on his way to the QB, it's not like the guy is a bum all of a sudden. He is still putting heat on the QB. Don't take my word for it, watch the games objectively, and see for yourself.

Let's be concerned about the DL, but keep in mind we still have some good players there. Pep is one of them.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    Well said. I completely agree with you.
  18. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    I understand. I really am hoping the DL gets better. We all do.
  20. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    I just watched some replay. Nobody has mentioned yet what a big play it was for Bush to get in the end zone on 4th down. He was met dead-on but got in with second effort. He's a horse! I thought he scored once or twice before in that series. Trestman is still calling pass plays from the 2-inch line! Give the damn ball to Bush, please.
    • Like Like x 1