Urlacher dishes on Cutler, Lovie, Trestman and all things Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 29, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    BY ADAM L. JAHNS

Staff Reporter

Last Modified: Jan 29, 2014 12:14AM
    NEW YORK — The Super Bowl media-day responsibilities for the Seahawks and Broncos were done. Players were free to further their game-day studies or to enjoy everything — good or bad — that New York offers.

But Brian Urlacher was still busy with his own media obligations on a chilly New York afternoon. Such is the world of one of the newest ex-jock TV analysts.

“I like this,” the former Bears linebacker said Tuesday during Fox Sports’ media availability at the Sheraton Times Square.

“[Joining Fox] gave me something to do and still be relevant in football a little bit.”

Urlacher, with an affable grin and some wisecracks, offered his thoughts on the Broncos and Seahawks (his Super Bowl XLVIII winner). But his strongest opinions were reserved for the Bears. After all, he still considers himself a Chicagoan.

It’s a new era for Bears football. They’re an offense-first team with coach Marc Trestman in and Lovie Smith out. There’s a new locker-room regime in place with Urlacher enjoying retirement and quarterback Jay Cutler signing a seven-deal worth $18.1 million per season and $54 million guaranteed.

“They think he’s the guy, so there you go,” Urlacher said.

The size of Cutler’s deal definitely surprised Urlacher.

“Yes, very large,” Urlacher said. “It’s good for him. I guess the thinking is, if you think you have a franchise quarterback, you hold on to them. It’s hard to find them in the NFL, and I think the GM there [Phil Emery] thought he had one, so they paid him like one.”

Urlacher said Trestman did exactly what he was supposed to do when he was hired — “They scored points,” he said — and spoke of the Bears’ offensive exploits with a hint of jealousy.

“Man, they were great this year,” Urlacher said. “[Josh] McCown did a great job when he came in for Jay. They scored a ton of points. They’re fun to watch. I didn’t get a chance to watch a lot of their games, but I saw highlights, and they had four guys in the Pro Bowl on offense. Just a great year offensively for them.”

Definitely count Urlacher among the fans of backup McCown (who said on ESPN Radio that his heart is in Chicago when it comes to his looming free agency), too.

“The big difference was up front for me,” said Urlacher, who said he has yet to hear from Cutler since his retirement. “Their offensive line was great this year [with] whoever was in there [at quarterback]. Josh takes care of the football. He’s a game manager. He can run the football. He takes care of the football, and they scored a ton of points.

“When both [quarterbacks] were in there, they scored a ton of points. The players they have around them, Alshon [Jeffery], Brandon [Marshall], Martellus Bennett, Matt Forte and that O-line, obviously you can see that whoever played quarterback, they scored a bunch of points.”

Urlacher blamed injuries for the unprecedented decline of the Bears’ usually stout defense in 2013. He thought defensive coordinator Mel Tucker’s plan to keep the same scheme was smart.

“Why change it if it works?” Urlacher said. “It wasn’t [Tucker’s] fault this year. There were guys playing that I never heard of before. . . . So I don’t blame him. It was just a tough season for them defensively. They had a bunch of guys banged up.”

Urlacher has heard about cornerback Charles Tillman leaving in free agency but suggested it would be unwise of the Bears to allow it, describing him as an awesome player and teammate.

“I don’t see how you could let him go over whatever they’re going to let him go for,” Urlacher said. “But I know there’s a lot of good teams out there that would want him. He’s still a good player.”

Urlacher, though, hasn’t spoken to Bears management to ensure that advice is heard. He actually hasn’t spoken to chairman George McCaskey or anyone from the front office in some time.

So don’t count on a “Brian Urlacher Day” any time soon at Soldier Field.

As everyone in Chicago knows, Urlacher’s retirement from the Bears after 13 seasons was ugly. It included a one-year deal that he called insulting.

Would he like a proper send-off at Soldier Field?

“Would I?” Urlacher said. “I’m indifferent about it.”

But he didn’t say no.

“After watching [Mike] Ditka this year get his, that was pretty cool,” Urlacher said.

Urlacher said his Fox duties — plus his children, fishing and golf — keep him plenty busy. Smith recently asked Urlacher about helping out during his first training camp as Buccaneers coach, but he passed.

“He asked me to come and help for training camp and coach and hang out for a week,” Urlacher said. “But I’m not a very good coach.”

Instead, he’ll stick with the media.

“Wherever [Smith] went to was lucky to have him,” Urlacher said. “It’s a great thing for him. He’s a good head coach. He should have never been fired from Chicago. What a great head coach.”

See, Chicago’s always on his mind.

Email: ajahns@suntimes.com

Twitter: @adamjahns
  2. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    I think it's fairly obvious that he hates both Emery and Cutler
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,561 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    571ß
    I honestly don't see the Cutler hatred from Urlacher here. To me, at least, it just seems that he isn't convinced Cutler is one of the elites, an opinion he shares with many others.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    93ß
    Henry,

You can't be serious? He took at least 5 cracks at Cutler in that little snippet. He hates Cutler. He has since he arrived and he called him a pu$$y. I love Lach. My favorite Bear, and I was sad to see him go. Unfortunately I think he is going to turn out like Sayers and never shut his trap about the Bears and how they manage the franchise. Signing Cutler long term was the right move, as they didn't have the resources to address QB this season or the next, as they have to rebuild an old, irrelevant D. I hope Lach gets past the bitterness he has towards the organization, because he was the face of the team for a long time, and will undoubtedly be in the HOF some day.
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +754 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    551ß
    “He asked me to come and help for training camp and coach and hang out for a week,” Urlacher said. “But I’m not a very good coach.”

Huh...look at that for all those clamoring for an Urlacher coaching hire.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    583ß
    Those grapes are very very sour. Guess we'll have to wait until they turn into raisins and hope they sweeten up a little.
  7. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Would he like a proper send-off at Soldier Field?

“Would I?” Urlacher said. “I’m indifferent about it.”

F you Urlacher....I don't care what he thinks of Culter, Emery or the Bears front office...but it 's comments like this that tell BU is still a clueless, selfish a-hole that doesn't give a flying fuck about the uniform he wore, OR More importantly, the fans that supported him because of it...
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,775 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,357ß
    Love the new avatar :)
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  9. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    Urlacher is having a hard time facing the reality that he just wasn't worth what he thought he was. He wanted big $$$ and nobody had an interest for an aging, oft injured LB who was showing an inability to keep his mouth shut. It's easy to choke on ones pride.
  10. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    He obviously is done with Football if he turned down Lovie, but I'm still not sure why he is upset over the contract that the Bears offered him. The reality is no one else offered him anything.
    The Bears FO is not without blame but it is time for him to let it go.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,407 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    I was done w/BU 2yrs ago, still done w/him. He's not wrong about Cutler.
  12. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß

Shit! Thanks for reminding me.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    I dont think it is hatred, but there is definitely some animosity between the two. If it was strictly professional criticism, then he would only focus on Jay's stats, and give his opinion about his contract. There is no need to bring up stuff like "well, Jay hasn't contacted me since i left, waaaaah." (paraphrasing).

I think Lach has a bitter taste in his mouth with how his retirement went down, and he cant come to terms with the fact that someone else is now the face of the franchise.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    He was upset because he felt like he deserved more. Emery offered him a FAIR MARKET deal, and wasnt willing to overpay him simply because of his emotional ties to the franchise. Had ANYONE offered Lach a deal, then he wouldve been proven right...that Emery lowballed him. But nobody did. Which only confirms Emery's pricetag on Lach. And even if another team had offered a deal, it still doesnt mean that Emery shouldve wasted money on a 35 year old slow MLB with recent injury issues simply because he was a fan favorite. Lest we forget that Emery used some of that cash to acquire Bushrod, Slauson, Williams, etc.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,775 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,357ß
    I'm trying to remember Brian for the many years of good play he had here in Chicago. Consequently, I'm just not paying any attention to what he says for awhile. The transitions in life are tough for all of us, and for Brian, I don't think he envisioned the end coming when it did - and how it did. I'm okay with him being a bit grumpy for awhile. No biggie.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Im sure after awhile, he will be remembered like Butkus: a dominating defensive player that represented a Decade of Bears football, but never won any championships. His legacy is secure, Lach just needs time for people to respect him again.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Gale Sayers, Brian Urlacher in war of words
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2010, 10:08 AM EST
    Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher ripped Hall of Fame running back Gale Sayers on Wednesday as a player who doesn’t know how to win, while Sayers responded by saying Urlacher is on the downside of his career and that he doesn’t think much of the Bears’ prospects this season.

Asked about Sayers saying he wasn’t impressed with the Bears, Urlacher pointed out that the Bears never had a particularly impressive record during Sayers’ career.

“Let me ask you a question: ‘How many championships did Gale Sayers win?”’ Urlacher told the Chicago Tribune. “How many playoff games did he win when he played? None. None. None.”

Urlacher is blunt, but he is correct: It is true that the Bears never made the playoffs during Sayers’ career, which spanned from 1965 to 1971.

On the other hand, does the fact that Sayers’ Bears never made the playoffs invalidate Sayers’ opinions? Sayers is, after all, one of the greatest players in Bears history. Shouldn’t that accord him a little more respect from Urlacher?

Apparently Urlacher doesn’t think so.

“Does [Sayers] know how to win football games? Does he? No. How are you going to criticize someone else when you haven’t done it yourself? He’s one of our own, so that’s why it’s so frustrating,” Urlacher said.

When told of Urlacher’s comments, Sayers said that when he previously criticized the Bears, he was merely giving an honest answer to a question about what kind of team they’d have in 2010.

“When I am asked a question, I have to answer it,” Sayers said. “I don’t want anybody to think I am afraid to talk about the Bears. . . . Right now, the Bears are hurting. . . . And Urlacher, how old is he anyway [Urlacher will turn 32 on Tuesday]? He should know that himself, that he is on the downside of his career.”

Urlacher doesn’t like to hear that.

“Does it bother me?” Urlacher said. “There are enough people throwing daggers at us right now, why does one of our ex-players have to jump in? There are enough experts talking [crap] about us, so why does a Bear, an all-time great, have to jump in? I just don’t like that.”

If Urlacher doesn’t like Sayers talking [crap] about the Bears, he might be better off taking the high road, and not talking [crap] about Sayers.
    ---------------------------------------
    A little blast from the past...Not that most of us really need any, but further proof BU is a clueless, classless a-hole...
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,407 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    [​IMG] informative x1
  19. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +964 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    How did Ditka act after being fired??

Urlacher can learn a thing or two from Ditka. Ditka got a raw deal! All his players lost, and had his hands tied. STFU Urlacher!

My respect for Urlacher is just about gone with his bullshit comments.
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    I liked Urlacher as a player but smashing Cutler shows low character. Smashing Sayers is just stupid, Urlacher could not hold Sayers jockstrap and would of looked like an idiot trying to tackle him. Who's next Brian---- Dick Butkus, DaCoach, maybe Payton long as your on running backs. Screw Urlacher, after comments like this I hope he never has his day.