Urlacher: McClellin a better fit at linebacker

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +713 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    Play CornWash, damn it! If Shea only weighs 242, I can't imagine how a guy who is stronger, faster, and 25 pounds heavier can't outplay him. I now believe that there is something going on that they aren't telling us.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    It's no secret that Shea was "over-listed" at 260 to begin with, that he tried to gain weight this past offseason and couldn't keep it on, and that his ideal playing weight is about 245. The only ones who don't seem to recognize or acknowledge the obvious implications of this are Phil Emery and Mel Tucker.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,779 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,380ß
    I think they will give him some reps soon. I hope so anyway.
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Meow. The way it's been going there hasn't been much to say I haven't already said but I'll say it again anyway just in case someone missed it;

PHIL PHUCT UP!

So now you can all agree or disagree again but as far as I'm concerned I think I called this one right months ago and I don't a phat phuck who agrees or not. I didn't then either but it gets boring debating logic with those who refuse to use it.
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well that's because if you told Ric the sky was blue he'd tell you it was green and maybe in his world it is. From most of my debates with him I'm sure the two of us certainly live under different color skies. I got bored with his uber emotions and lack of logic so I'm out of it now. Though after watching McCown play a decent game on Sunday maybe I should call Col. Sanders and see if they can do a special 8 piece bucket for Ric with broasted crow. Original recipe of course. He played OK for a guy who doesn't
    even belong in the NFL huh? Just so long as we don't expect that to happen once teams get from tape on him we'll be fine. He won't embarrass himself that much I'm sure of.

I'm not sure what the whole game is there but there's game being played that much I can see. There's nothing wrong with Pep and it isn't age it's a bad case of I don't want to be here. I commented on what he told the media when they asked him about the decline is his production in another post. After telling them the season isn't over yet he paused and then said it's being affected by scheme and the way I'm being asked to play. Hmmmmm, if it's the same scheme Lovie was running, and according to Tucker it would be (emphasis on would) then why is he being asked to play differently? Because it's not the same scheme? Probably. The number of sacks and pressures Tucker defenses in Jax put up kept them in the bottom ten of the NFL in all but one of his four years there. Think we might be on to something here?

He's not a DLIne coach and he's never been one but wherever he's been sacks and pressures decline. Funny huh? Why would Emery hire a guy like that to coach a scheme whose very success depends on strong pass rush? This should make you even more concerned. When Lovie was here Gil Byrd was the Safeties position coach but Lovie was very actively involved with coaching them himself as well because they were so important in his bend but don't break coverage schemes. They were to keep the ball and receiver in front of them at all costs. That was key.

Well Lovie is gone and so is Gil Byrd but guess what position Mel Tucker played in college? John Hoke is still the DB coach and works with the corners but they never replaced Gil Byrd or even an assistant for Hoke so who might we suspect is working with the Safeties? Can anyone else find a reason why Conte and Wright were considered one of the strong points of the defense last year and we all felt we were set at Safety for quite a while yet this year they can't cover your grandmother and we've already given up more plays over 20 yards in seven games than we did all of last year!

Yeah Mel Tucker coaches DBs about as well as Mike Tice coached linemen and their skills as coordinators are about equal as well.

I don't know what Phelonious Phil the Phuck Stick is up to but if he's looking for an excuse to unload a lot of aging high dollar talent next year this is surely the way I'd go about it and he'll have the media's blessing. Or at least the Trib's because they always pump up management over players. Halas bought and paid for that years ago the crafty old bastard. Now you know why I keep telling people forget what the media is telling you. What do your eyes see? What do your ears hear? I swear to God some dikhead writes and article about something and half this place just shakes their heads in agreement. Just like the Cutler hater's who only used their eyes to read articles slamming his behavior or criticizing his moods or expressions for four years. He's damn good football player and he's also damn intelligent so if they had to put up with the asshole OCs he did what would their faces look like and what kind of mood would they be in.

Maybe I'm just pissed off at a world full of people who are so lazy that they don't bother to learn enough to think for themselves. They'd rather be robots and that's a very dangerous trend I see developing. It's just ridiculous the way the media controls public sentiment and with lies and half truths to boot. Their motto is never let the facts stand in the way of a good story.

Well that's enough ranting to last for another month or so. I'm outta here.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    171ß
    Tucker should be gone yesterday. One of the main reasons Tucker will keep his job is b/c of injuries. If Phil and Trestman are ok w/seeing McC violated like a parking meter when his hand in the dirt then good luck with all that. If a coach misuses a player with glowing weaknesses then what does that say about his ability to adapt? If that's the glaring ones what about the lesser ones?

Nine times out of ten I'd give a coach another year to implement his scheme but the lack of fundamentals, players regressing, missed keys in coverage, and misused players it's time to pull the plug. But if I were a bettin' man I'd say he'll stay about 3 years.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,561 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    571ß
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    I know it's all too easy to "blame the coach when things aren't going well" but that's why he's the guy in charge. And Tucker is that guy. And he's totally mismanaged the DL, Shea especially. I want him gone yesterday and won't shed a tear when he eventually gets his walking papers.

I repeat: THE D SUCKED BALLS FROM THE VERY GET-GO EVEN BEFORE THE PARADE OF INJURIES SET IN.

Note to Chicago Bears management:
    Don't ever hire any coach who is a castoff from the biggest clown school joke of a franchise in recent NFL history---Jacksonville.
  9. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    He's a much better fit as OLB than he is as DE... I still think he was drafted to play as OLB in a 3-4 by Emery
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    I still think his drafting was a major screwup by Emery since we don't run a 3-4 and didn't have the personnel to switch to one in the foreseeable future. Still don't.

And I still think his continued misuse at DE remains an epic fail entirely on Mel Tucker.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Go back and relisten to Emery's last interview w/the media and how he talks glowingly of Shea; and then come back to me and tell me how the first year DC has enough pull to yank Emery's first draft pick out of the lineup. If you can honestly listen to Emery talk/defend Shea and still blame Tucker fine, we'll just have to agree to disagree. But you need to listen to it to make an honest assessment.

hey Soul made an appearance to tell us all how great and logical he is and how ignorant all of us are...yawn
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    First off, I am a big Emery fan despite the Shea debacle. No GM is perfect, they all have misses, but PE has done more for this franchise's offense in 2 years than anyone else accomplished in the last 20.

But I don't for a minute take seriously what he (or coaches) say about a player in a public interview or press conference. Those media events are bullshit PR shows in which there's about as much "straight talk" as you hear in a town hall debate between two slippery politicians. No way any executive is going to publicly call out a player--especially one of his own picks--or tell the real truth that's discussed behind the scenes when there aren't cameras and audio recordings present. It's always Ra Ra, getting better as a team, things we need to improve, confident in so-and-so horseshit. You know that. It means nothing.

You really think if the coaching staff said "we need to make some serious adjustments in how we use Shea" that Emery would forbid it and demand that he play max snaps? I kind of doubt that. Emery may be publicly putting a very optimistic happy face on the Shea-is-a-DE farce but he surely knows privately what the real deal is on tape.
  13. GBlaze23

GBlaze23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Shea, Bostic and Green are the future (in all hope). All of the others are OLD and almost out of contract (Williams, Anderson, even Briggs). It's either that or spend the next few drafts on new LB's, which we have way too many needs to do.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    I think over the last few weeks you are seeing Bass get more and more playing time as Shea game tape becomes less and less impressive. So ya I think at the start Tucker wasn't able to do anything w/Shea...btw I said no way they were resigning Izzy b/c of Shea and Wootton, who both had to step up and show they were worth it, think that move was on Tucker?

He might well know now, but it took this years debacle for him to have to face reality, and he's still not fessing up to it, only snap counts are showing it. After Wootton was moved inside he got more snaps, then Bass slowly started eating away at those.
  15. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Ditto.
  16. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I believe Emery has really pointed the arrow north. I'm on board and thought he did a hell of a job this off season.
    BUT, you're right Soul: Phil phuct up! when it comes to the 19th pick (and the overall draft) of '12, it happens. I see fine though my own eyes and believe Phil is good for the Bears. Trestman is good for the Bears. I have a lot of hope for the future.

To wave the white flag now would be depressing. Everything I've seen so far suggests that it is going to take Plan B or C to get some needed improvement. The play now is not good enough BUT, we are not even half way through the season and playoffs are not out of the picture (just off center). I think Urlacher has a valid point, and Shea needs to be used differently (even if is within the DE position). I'm fine with giving CornWash some reps. (I think it will likely be Bass),...something needs to change. The rubber is getting brittle on the bend don't break scheme.

It has to be something more than just age with Peppers...

You had a pretty big rant Soul, and I agree with most of it. I'm not sure they ignored the Conte and Wright, only so much you can do in an off season and the LB got the much needed lovin' this go around.

The Bears need to hold together until Cutler gets back, the schedule does get easier... Tucker is looking suspect, he needs to make something happen or get busy packing.

I'm not sure what everyone expected. Offense has been a breath of fresh air, and I am enjoying NOT talking about Webb, Spencer, Carimi, or Tice. There will always be something.

Edit: Soul, it was good seeing you poke your head in. See ya next month??
    • Like Like x 1
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Plan A was never fully explained, it was getting rid of Lovie's guys to help clear the way for Trestman guys. It was unfortuantely necessary. And the purge will continue next year as the team continues to cut those ties.

Plan B is really just part 2 of plan A, rebuild the D via FA and draft, but that couldn't happen THIS year, b/c that was dedicated to the acknowledged part of Plan A, getting a O around Cutler good enough to evaluate him. Plan B starts next year in FA and the draft, and we'll have to see if it works as well as it worked for the O.

Plan C is going to be getting actual depth at all levels and probably won't happen until 2 years from now if the Bears do go w/Cutler either FT'd or in a long term contract.
  18. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree with you Ric, the Bears can be a are a good team right now, things could be so much worse. (ie. TB, JAX, NYG, MIN...)

We got hit with injuries. It happens, and seems to be happening more and more despite the efforts and rules the league had changed to make the game safer. You will not be a great team until depth is in place.

You're always working on improving on areas but the focus right now seems to be working out the new staff's system. Emery has gotten some big pieces already, but with so many players on one year contracts you can tell they are still evaluating. Players and staff included.

Phil seems like more of a head scout, not a wheeler and dealer type. Once this new staff gets the main pieces in place and some holes filled I think FA's like Marshall, DaBU, and Bushrod will become a rarer occurrence. I am not sure if the FO has a definitive answer how they are going to proceed. Cutler? Defense? It is going to be a while before a scout type GM starts hitting his full strength building a team and depth from the draft.
  19. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    you really think they would can him after a year?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Can Shea after a year? no, but this is his 2nd year. Do I think they'll can him after 2? No. But try him at a new position after 2 failed years...yes I could see that happening.
    • Like Like x 1