Urlacher: McClellin a better fit at linebacker

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 22, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,266ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    This guy just isn't an Urlacher-level player now, or ever. His problems go beyond just shedding blocks. He just looks marginal as an NFL player. We can try to pound the square peg into the round hole, by trying him at various positions on the team, if we want to "justify" a 1st round pick that way. But it will hurt the team. I don't think you will see much interest in him from other teams in a trade. If we flat cut him at the end of the year, you'd see some interest from somebody. But I think we just have another 1st round bust here.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    Since this season is over with, we might as well try him out at LB this season.

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,266ß
    We don't know absolutely that the season is over at 4-3. Not yet anyway. Also, we have two young LB's getting precious game-reps right now (Greene & Bostic) so I wouldn't bench either of them for a probable bust player. Anderson is having a great season, so why sit him? I just don't like the "pound the square peg into the round hole" no matter what approach.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rogelio

Rogelio
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    195ß
    I'm not saying that he's the next Urlacher. Just that having trouble shedding blocks doesn't mean he can't be a good player.

5. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    I agree. And we aren't going to switch a players position (one he's never played at the pro level anyway) in the middle of the season. That's a project for the offseason. I think Shea could offer some value as a backup SLB/MLB and on STs if he can make the transition. If it flops, then I would just cut him next Labor Day (maybe just maybe you could squeeze a late round pick out of someone a la Carimi but that's prob a pipe dream). He offers no value as a DE and, like a previous poster said, I feel bad for the kid--it's not his fault he was over-drafted and then played completely out of position for two years.

He was on the sidelines quite a bit in Washington on 1st and 2nd downs as he needs to be as long as plays DE. I'd much rather have Bass or Corny in there vs the run. The bar is pretty low at this point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,266ß
    I understand, no problem. I did hear some of that about Brian. But I'm just not thinking the guy is NFL material. It goes beyond the shedding blocks, IMHO. But I'm not a coach.

7. VJ18

VJ18
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    343ß
    i know i was kidding but i do remember Green Bay really falling in love with him in the combine. I think we should resign Shea and let him take over Briggs when its time. Green, Bostic and McCull would be a nasty young LB core

• Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,117ß
    GB and NE really did like Shea. But for a 3-4 OLB. I would not assume he could play LB until you see he can play LB.

9. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    True, but you can never know until you try and coach him in it. I really hope this Emery/Trestman regime can swallow their pride this offseason and admit that it's LB or nothing for Shea. That's the only way to salvage some value out of this poor pick since I doubt you could get anything for him in trade at this point.

10. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,117ß
    No, that I agree, but I would not replace Briggs w/him just b/c. Briggs was playing as one of the best D players in the league, not just the team, he again was having a pro bowl season, why cut him when he has a year left just b/c Shea MIGHT be able to play LB. And honestly I think Shea would be better at SAM over WILL, and Greene was brought in to be the WILL anyways.

ME, I try and sign DJ for another year, Anderson for a small 3-4 year deal, keep Briggs for another year, then you have your starters and backups at LB for the next 2-3 years.