Urlacher: McClellin a better fit at linebacker

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    sorry should have been more clearer... tucker?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I could see keeping or getting rid of Tucker, besides faulting the players I'm on the fence on where else to place the blame.

Here is a decent article to consider:
    http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/10/23/4867192/how-is-the-poor-performance-of-the-chicago-bears-defense-mel-tuckers

I agree with the three main faults of the Defense:
    1.) No pass rush
    2.) Poor Tackling
    3.) Injuries

Two of the three I could blame Mel Tucker on. I'm not sure I'd be justified blaming him, but just coming from the point of what I see on TV, there could be valid points across the board. The Coaching Plan/Plays vs. Player Execution is a fight that will never run out of rounds. Before injuries the D Line was the same... Phair is a carry over from Marinelli/Lovie. What if not the scheme has changed??

They are stunting more, and using Linebacker blitzes. But what came first?? I think they came after and as a result of not getting the needed pressure without it...

I really like Marc Trestman, but as we've discussed before on this board I think there is something to having old school motivational coaching on D. That's not Marc...

I could be beating up on Tucker just because he's down, He could be the answer the Bears need. However, I would love to see another "Hot Rod" out there to kick some people in the balls! Light some fires. Apparently, players in the pro game need it. Just ask the Ryans or the Haurbaughs they seem to do okay.
  3. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
    C'mon guy. Most of these players are NFL veterans. They have taclked before. They know form tackling. Tucker didn't go into training camp saying "This year, we're going to try to tackle guys only using our forearms." I could *maybe* see that he didn't run tackling drills enough in training camp, but 1) Lovie had really light camps, so I doubt Tucker drilled them less than last year, and 2) the CBA prohibits teams from spending a lot of time on contact drills, anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,212ß
    1. Pass rush
    2. Safeties -- especially Conte
    3. Injuries
    4. Coaching. They are still whistling past the graveyard after 7 games. Do something!
  5. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    What you are saying is true Rogelio, you can't just go into training camp and run Oklahoma drills until you have 53 people left. But there are point of emphasis you stress when coaching. I'm not sure what's changed for certain, all I can see are the results from Sunday.

When Emery made the staff changes I didn't automatically think that the turn over ratio which has been a strength would fall off a cliff... Veterans use all that they know and have learned. I was looking further down the road to see if those characteristics we've known would stick around or be improved upon with the next wave of players.

The results so far have been poorer execution. Players play but that can also be on coaching. I don't know, I'm just asking the question.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    But the turn overs are still as high as ever, 2nd or 3rd in the league, so why as the tackling fallen off so much when something that is much harder is still so good?
  7. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Good question, and it is football. (you know funny shaped ball, unpredictable bounces)
    My best guess would be lack of being prepared with a clear vision for the play. Not sure if that is more of a game plan issue, or for the plays coming in. I think for some reason they are just off on defense and not executing like they should because the task at hand is still in the head??? I dunno, I think they are just not to the point of letting instincts and all that god given ability take over. *shrug*
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,623 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    686ß
    The players won, in the CBA, lighter training schedules, which is starting to be blamed for the massive amounts of knee injuries that have been decimating the league.

Also, I read an article somewhere, that the Bears, historically, have always always slowly gotten better at the end of the season, in regards to tackling. I honestly think the Bears use of blitzing was efficient, when they were on that 3-0 streak, but losing all the players that they have, has forced the DC into changing from a heavier use of blitzes to the crap you see on the field. If Trestman wants him back, I'd imagine a LOT of those players will either be gone, or here at a cheaper discount.
    • Like Like x 1