Urlacher: McClellin a better fit at linebacker

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 22, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,131ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Go back and relisten to Emery's last interview w/the media and how he talks glowingly of Shea; and then come back to me and tell me how the first year DC has enough pull to yank Emery's first draft pick out of the lineup. If you can honestly listen to Emery talk/defend Shea and still blame Tucker fine, we'll just have to agree to disagree. But you need to listen to it to make an honest assessment.

hey Soul made an appearance to tell us all how great and logical he is and how ignorant all of us are...yawn

• Like Like x 1
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    First off, I am a big Emery fan despite the Shea debacle. No GM is perfect, they all have misses, but PE has done more for this franchise's offense in 2 years than anyone else accomplished in the last 20.

But I don't for a minute take seriously what he (or coaches) say about a player in a public interview or press conference. Those media events are bullshit PR shows in which there's about as much "straight talk" as you hear in a town hall debate between two slippery politicians. No way any executive is going to publicly call out a player--especially one of his own picks--or tell the real truth that's discussed behind the scenes when there aren't cameras and audio recordings present. It's always Ra Ra, getting better as a team, things we need to improve, confident in so-and-so horseshit. You know that. It means nothing.

You really think if the coaching staff said "we need to make some serious adjustments in how we use Shea" that Emery would forbid it and demand that he play max snaps? I kind of doubt that. Emery may be publicly putting a very optimistic happy face on the Shea-is-a-DE farce but he surely knows privately what the real deal is on tape.

3. GBlaze23

GBlaze23
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    Shea, Bostic and Green are the future (in all hope). All of the others are OLD and almost out of contract (Williams, Anderson, even Briggs). It's either that or spend the next few drafts on new LB's, which we have way too many needs to do.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,131ß
    I think over the last few weeks you are seeing Bass get more and more playing time as Shea game tape becomes less and less impressive. So ya I think at the start Tucker wasn't able to do anything w/Shea...btw I said no way they were resigning Izzy b/c of Shea and Wootton, who both had to step up and show they were worth it, think that move was on Tucker?

He might well know now, but it took this years debacle for him to have to face reality, and he's still not fessing up to it, only snap counts are showing it. After Wootton was moved inside he got more snaps, then Bass slowly started eating away at those.

5. BearJim

BearJim
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    Ditto.

6. A-11

A-11
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    I believe Emery has really pointed the arrow north. I'm on board and thought he did a hell of a job this off season.
    BUT, you're right Soul: Phil phuct up! when it comes to the 19th pick (and the overall draft) of '12, it happens. I see fine though my own eyes and believe Phil is good for the Bears. Trestman is good for the Bears. I have a lot of hope for the future.

To wave the white flag now would be depressing. Everything I've seen so far suggests that it is going to take Plan B or C to get some needed improvement. The play now is not good enough BUT, we are not even half way through the season and playoffs are not out of the picture (just off center). I think Urlacher has a valid point, and Shea needs to be used differently (even if is within the DE position). I'm fine with giving CornWash some reps. (I think it will likely be Bass),...something needs to change. The rubber is getting brittle on the bend don't break scheme.

It has to be something more than just age with Peppers...

You had a pretty big rant Soul, and I agree with most of it. I'm not sure they ignored the Conte and Wright, only so much you can do in an off season and the LB got the much needed lovin' this go around.

The Bears need to hold together until Cutler gets back, the schedule does get easier... Tucker is looking suspect, he needs to make something happen or get busy packing.

I'm not sure what everyone expected. Offense has been a breath of fresh air, and I am enjoying NOT talking about Webb, Spencer, Carimi, or Tice. There will always be something.

Edit: Soul, it was good seeing you poke your head in. See ya next month??

• Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,131ß
    Plan A was never fully explained, it was getting rid of Lovie's guys to help clear the way for Trestman guys. It was unfortuantely necessary. And the purge will continue next year as the team continues to cut those ties.

Plan B is really just part 2 of plan A, rebuild the D via FA and draft, but that couldn't happen THIS year, b/c that was dedicated to the acknowledged part of Plan A, getting a O around Cutler good enough to evaluate him. Plan B starts next year in FA and the draft, and we'll have to see if it works as well as it worked for the O.

Plan C is going to be getting actual depth at all levels and probably won't happen until 2 years from now if the Bears do go w/Cutler either FT'd or in a long term contract.

8. A-11

A-11
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree with you Ric, the Bears can be a are a good team right now, things could be so much worse. (ie. TB, JAX, NYG, MIN...)

We got hit with injuries. It happens, and seems to be happening more and more despite the efforts and rules the league had changed to make the game safer. You will not be a great team until depth is in place.

You're always working on improving on areas but the focus right now seems to be working out the new staff's system. Emery has gotten some big pieces already, but with so many players on one year contracts you can tell they are still evaluating. Players and staff included.

Phil seems like more of a head scout, not a wheeler and dealer type. Once this new staff gets the main pieces in place and some holes filled I think FA's like Marshall, DaBU, and Bushrod will become a rarer occurrence. I am not sure if the FO has a definitive answer how they are going to proceed. Cutler? Defense? It is going to be a while before a scout type GM starts hitting his full strength building a team and depth from the draft.

9. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    you really think they would can him after a year?

• Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,131ß
    Can Shea after a year? no, but this is his 2nd year. Do I think they'll can him after 2? No. But try him at a new position after 2 failed years...yes I could see that happening.

• Like Like x 1