Urlacher: Russell Wilson "ended my career"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearstuff, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    485ß
    Brian Urlacher: Russell Wilson 'Ended My Career'

Posted: 08/24/2013 5:10 pm EDT | Updated: 08/24/2013 5:10 pm EDT

[​IMG]
    Brian Urlacher #54 of the Chicago Bears plays against the Tennessee Titans at LP Field on November 4, 2012 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Frederick Breedon/Getty Images)

By Brian Josephs, Complex Sports
    When thinking about the great Brian Urlacher's career, a lot of people probably won't harp too much on how exactly it ended. The linebacker was chasing down Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson on a third-and-2 play on the first possession of an overtime game. Urlacher got him, but Wilson had already ran five yards for the first down. The Bears would lose the game and Urlacher to hamstring injury after that play. Needless to say this doesn't hold a candle to the way Ray Lewis went out.
    Urlacher spoke to Fox Sports, and he wanted to let Wilson know he's responsible for an Urlacher-less Bears this season.

"Russell, I'm not sure if you know this or not, but you ended my career basically last year on that third down in overtime," he said. "You were rolling out, I was trying to chase you. Trying to chase you down I popped my hamstring and missed the last four games of the season. You ended it."
    It's true Urlacher's career ended on a Wilson play, but you can't blame him for it. He was just doing his job, and he has to watch his ass when a linebacker known for giving brutal hits is gunning for him.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    no you and your agent w/your cra cra 12mil contract ended your career.
    • Like Like x 11
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    Well, there's certainly an element of truth to that but at least is was a very speedy elusive Russell Wilson and not a statue like drop back passer who he couldn't chase down. There were other factors involved as well and I still go back to that bonehead play on the part of Major Wright where instead of just letting Urlacher get the pick he jumped for the ball as well and ended up landing on Urlacher's knee. To me THAT was the beginning of the end for him.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,382 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    794ß
    I hope people don't read too much into this. Urlacher has a dry sense of humor that people often don't understand. He's not seriously making this a condemnation of Wilson......this is just a reporter trying to blow this up into something it isn't.

On a side note, I just think Brian is going through a HUGE transition in his life right now, emotionally. Cut the guy some slack. He gave the Chicago Bears years of great play and was a classy player IMHO. This last year he struggled with the end of his career (even lashing out at the fans at one point) but that IMHO was just due to the guy having some real struggles with this transition.

I am glad we did not re-sign him, but still, I wish him all the best.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    485ß
    If he was being dry, he needed to use a smilie or lol or something. He won't be understood in a huffington post article, that's for sure.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    Come one Ric, it was Emery who asked them to give him a proposal so with no guidelines given he asked for what Ray Lewis was getting and why shouldn't he have done that as an opener. We both know he was willing to play for far less.

If $2 mil was the best he could do why didn't Emery just come out with it to begin with? He could have told him that he knew how much he meant to the team and to Bears fans but because of other needs and a tight cap situation $2 mil for one year was the best he could do ......final offer.

If he'd done that to begin with Urlacher might have accepted or he might have decided right then and there that it wasn't worth it to go through another off season conditioning program and another camp just to play his swan song year for $2 mil and called it quits. THAT would have avoided all the drama that situation ended up with. I'll say it again, my issue is not so much WHAT they did but rather HOW they went about it.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    I thought that as well and he does have a dry sense of humor for sure. If he's practicing for his role as an analyst or a color guy he does need some lessons on how to make sure people understand his style of humor. They may get it eventually but to begin with you're right, this may appear a lot different than he meant it.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +736 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    JABF is exactly right. This story is not written by one of the Chicago Sports columnists that know Brian well after all these years, and I'm kind of surprised that some fans, after watching his interviews all these years, could take this seriously. This was obviously a tongue-in-cheek comment that this reporter, for his own reasons that are unknown to us, is trying to pass off as serious. Go back to journalism school my friend because you need some remedial courses on communication.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    I read it as a compliment, in a dry, sarcastic way.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,382 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    794ß
    Yeah, I figure Brian is never going to be an eloquent "talking head" who wows us with his glowing personality. He's rough as a cob and doesn't have a phony "filter" yet. And his sense of humor over the years is dry and initially not so easy to "get".....I've got a couple of in-laws like this. At first I didn't know how to take them. But once I understood their subtle dry sense of humor, I get a real kick out of them. Like Brian.

I just hope Bears fans cut Brian some slack now. The past is water over the dam. Let's remember the guy for all the good things he did for us over many years. I figure he deserves that much.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß

actually the there was a guideline, it was go get offers and come back to us. he got no offers and then came back w/a ridiculous 12mil. but really that comment was just to bust a little balls...at this point i could care less about BU, I'm glad he's moved on and has a good career on TV analyzing the games.
  12. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +736 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    That's because:
    1. That's the way it was intended from the speaker
    and
    2. You're smart.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    I know I've criticized Urlacher for a number of things (The Benson hit wasn't meant to be one, just to show how he can be; also, I am a firm believer that Benson deserved it), but yeah, this article seems kind of like a piece that Urlacher would have to publicly explain, if he were still playing, because the media would just LOVE some controversy from the Bears locker room. Also a reason why I tune out whoever is trying to be the next "Jay Mariotti" in Chicago.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,219 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    I agree. Tough to come back fully from a major knee strain at that age. That injury probably cost Urlacher 2-3 more productive career years.
  15. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    485ß
    Full confession:
    I thought a few might blow a gasket at the interview. Therefore it is a good thread starter.;)

Urlacher's humor doesn't translate into print. I'm sure that if we all watched a clip where he said the same thing, there would be no confusion.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    Rabble Rouser! ;)

:10_14_2[1]:
  17. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +663 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    355ß
    You mean Urlacher is blaming someone else for his problem? I'm shocked..o_O

I agree, I think he did it in jest but his way of delivering a punchline has something to be desired.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,459 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    759ß
    I understand the joke he is trying to make, but its still stupid. It still comes off as him whining over the fact that he wishes he were still playing. Sad part is, if he was more reasonable with his contract demands, he WOULD still be playing this season. But, he aimed to high, lost and fell back down to earth. Such is life.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Calabis

Calabis Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Lol....yup
    • Like Like x 1